Why carbs instead of fats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rep Points

Why carbs instead of fats?

A couple of questions:

Why are carbs preferred as a bodybuilding source of energy over fats?

Do carbs have an advantage over fats for recovery?

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

For people trying to stay lean, carbs are usually kept pretty low. For someone trying to gain weight, upping the carbs is almost unanimous.

Designer Supplements

Rep Points

Glycogen replenishment, insulin response, quicker source of energy.
    Being held down by The Man

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

This is a toouchy subjuect here but I will say...there is a place for carbs whether you're goal is weight gain or weight loss...with weight loss you just need to be more choosy on the types and timing of your carbs.
    Searching for the right balance...

Designer Supplements

Rep Points

Originally posted by Fit Freak
    ...with weight loss you just need to be more choosy on the types and timing of your carbs.
    Well, the amounts should really come first, but yeah, kinda.
    Being held down by The Man

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Of course....amounts, types, and timing...all very important....it should be common sense I hope to watch the quantity.

Rep Points

Okay, the reason I ask is because I'm on a very low carb diet. (Approximately 25 grams per day) I still manage to work out hard enough that I'm sore for days later. My main concern is whether carbs are necessary for healing.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I would say no, glycogen is for energy, protein for rebuilding.

25g is way way low indeed, even if all in one meal thats only a few spoonfulls of anything. Heck, thats about a slice of bread (not a prefered carb source).

Rep Points

Originally posted by Revenant
    Okay, the reason I ask is because I'm on a very low carb diet. (Approximately 25 grams per day) I still manage to work out hard enough that I'm sore for days later. My main concern is whether carbs are necessary for healing.

You may want to consider having a carb up once in a while then.

Rep Points

I want to get leaner. I read all the post about staying away from bread. very interesting! question is,,, should I stay away from cereal too? I eat total cereal every morning, pretty large bowl too and have a banana with it. Is that a bad idea for getting leaner? Thanks

Rep Points

Also, if I am feeling shugish I will eat a bagel say a hour before I hit the gym as one of my 6 meals for the day. Is that counter productive also?? I really LOVE this site! This site is NOT of the devil!!! LOL Thanks

Rep Points

Should I just list my whole meal plan for each day and workout routine?

Rep Points

That would be a good idea and in a different thread! And start using some smilies. I hate boring posts.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Bagels are evil...bread and cereal too

As for trying to get leaner....well I am definately not a supporter of 25 grams of carbs. IMO....that needs to be increased...maybe to 75-100 grams depending on your BF and BW....primarily consisting of sweet potato, oatmeal, brown rice, and lots and lots of vegies too.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

As for trying to get leaner....well I am definately not a supporter of 25 grams of carbs. IMO....that needs to be increased...maybe to 75-100 grams depending on your BF and BW....primarily consisting of sweet potato, oatmeal, brown rice, and lots and lots of vegies too.
    The best thing to do is to find out how many carbs you can eat while still losing weight. For some 75-100g may be to many carbs. 25g doesn't seem that low but it depends on were you are in your cut. If you only have 2-3 weeks left I think droping to 25g is ok to get rid of that last bit of Body Fat. If you are going to go that low with your carbs I would say try carbing up twice a week.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Originally posted by Kent777
    I want to get leaner. I read all the post about staying away from bread. very interesting! question is,,, should I stay away from cereal too? I eat total cereal every morning, pretty large bowl too and have a banana with it. Is that a bad idea for getting leaner? Thanks
    Kent, 2 cups of milk is about what you reported as your total daily carb intake, so your WAY over if your having cereal. Cereal is weight gainer IMO, I can put on about a pound of day in conjunction with cereal.

Rep Points

I use soy milk does that make difference??

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I really dont know, I would bet the profile is different but read the label

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I'm not 100% sure...but almost....same carb count between soy milk and regular milk.

Rep Points

I show soy milk is higher in carbs than milk

1C Skim Milk - 12G
    1 C. Soy milk - 15G

I could be wrong though, I never drink the stuff.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Rep Points

Originally posted by w8lifter
    You may want to consider having a carb up once in a while then.
    It says there to carb up the day before training. I thought that it would've been best to do it on the day of training. Wouldn't most of that energy have been used up by then?

Rep Points

Well most of us train the day of and the day before a carb up. When your training 5 times a week its easy to figure it in. I like to carb up the night before legs especially. It gives you an extra pump the next day.

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Carb up the day before you lift to restore your glycogen levels.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

soy milk can vary from 0 g carbs (unsweetened) to 25g for flavoured....regular plain sweetened soy milk usually has around 12-15 g.

Rep Points

ok here is my workout, weekly diet and sats,,, 5' 10' 191, i just weighed.. monday=BP, incline BP, Decline BP, Fly machine, lat pulldown wide grip, lat pulldown v bar, lats DB, seated leg press machine, seated calf press, leg ext machine, leg curl machine, hanging leg lifts.
    tuesday=front press DB, seated DB press, bent over lat raises Db, front raises standing DB, tri pushdowns, tri rope ext, tri rope ext out, tri reverse pushdowns, concentration curls low, concentration curls high, hammer curls, reverse BB curls, hanging leg lifts side to side.
    wed=barbell pullover, incline DB press, decline DB press, DB flys, seated rows, staight arm lat pulldowns, bent over rows DB, stiff legged dead lifts, squats, incline leg press, incline calf press, hack squats, hyber ext, hyper ext side to side.
    thurs=standing side raises DB, side lying lat raises, barbell front raises, upright rows, tri ext EZbar, DB tri ext standing, seated DB tri ext, tri bench dips, high pulley curls, EZbar curls wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, incline sit ups.
    Fri=DB bench press, Decline BB pullovers, dips, cable crossovers, DB pullovers, Tbar rows, upright rows BB, deadlifts, DB squats, hack squats, seated calf raises, good mornings, Db step ups on bench with 30lb Db in each hand. Knee ins on bench.
    Sat=arnold press, shrugs, DB front raises, DB front press, tri pushdowns, reverse tri push downs, tri ext BB, dips, preacher curls, barbell curls, wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, hanging leg lifts.
    meal 1, oatmeal with blueberries or total cereal with soy milk,
    meal 2, banana and 100% grape juice,
    meal 3 protien drink or protien bar with L glutamine
    meal 4 veggy sandwich
    meal 5 grilled salmon or chicken with sweet potato, fresh pineapple, black cherries.
    meal 6 protien drink
    also i snack on celery and raw sweet potato during day at my desk.
    Please let me know what i am doing wrong, I want to cut more and look leaner and show more definition. Also I do eat hummus on occasion and drink beer maybe 3 a week. I never ever eat fried foods ever. I eat wheat bread with my veggy sandwich, and do have yogurt some too. what is the best protien mix for a drink and what liquid to use in it. Thanks for any imput. Sorry Jodi I couldnt get the smiles to work or I would have added some,,lol... but here is a something else instead,xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo LOL Thanks

Rep Points

I guess I did get the smiles to work! I suprised myself!

Rep Points

A word on Soy:

"As little as three to four tablespoons of soy can powerfully suppress thyroid function."

And of course, our source:

P. Chomard, et al. “ Serum concentrations of T4, T3, RT3, and free T4, T3 in moderately obese patients,” Illum. Nutr Clin, September 1985, 39(5):371-8

By the way, I got this off of PTonthenet originally and then found the source, these are not my words, but the research supports the statement.
    Man on a mission!

Rep Points

Rep Points

meal 1, oatmeal with blueberries or total cereal with soy milk,
    meal 2, banana and 100% grape juice,
    meal 3 protien drink or protien bar with L glutamine
    meal 4 veggy sandwich
    meal 5 grilled salmon or chicken with sweet potato, fresh pineapple, black cherries.
    meal 6 protien drink
    also i snack on celery and raw sweet potato during day at my desk.
    Meal 1 Get rid of the cereal and milk and add some eggs
    Meal 2: Its high sugar and you have no protein or fat or veggies
    Meal 3: You have no fat
    Meal 4: Don't use bread instead have brown rice and again wheres the protein and fat
    Meal 5: Ditch the fruit and add some fat and veggies maybe a healthy carb
    Meal 6: Again no fat

You are not getting enough protein or veggies or EFA's. Read the Best Nutrional Threads at the top of the forum.

You also shouldn't be snacking on carbs (sweet potatoes)!

Rep Points

Thanks dude, i really appreciate the advice. Thanks