How many Sets of Squats do you do?

View Poll Results: How many sets of squats do you perform?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 sets

17 16.67%
  • 4 sets

32 31.37%
  • 5 sets

22 21.57%
  • 6 sets

14 13.73%
  • Over 8

9 8.82%
  • 10 +

8 7.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

How many Sets of Squats do you do?

poll time

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/threads/200295-SFW-s-AbaXen-Journal-A-Summer-Blast
    $100 MINIMUM ORDER. FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $150! DISCOUNT CODE = freeship15
    ORDERS OVER $250 AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED TO WIN $250 IN FREE PRODUCTS!
    ANY ORDER CONTAINING 1 BOTTLE OF A BLEND GETS FREE SHIPPING!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I ramp up to one all out set. Probably 5-6 in total.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

On a day that I feel real good,

Squats, nothing but, for atleast an hour.

De oppresso liber

Rep Points

Two warmups and 3 working sets 6-8 reps

Rep Points

I have about a 15 min warmup with extremely light weight and just working form and range of motion. Then 5 working sets of 5-reps

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Because of back injuries I have to do squats mid workout. 1 warmup set and 3 working sets.
    The real strong have no need to prove it to the phonies. ~ Charles Manson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IronAddict View Post
    On a day that I feel real good,

Squats, nothing but, for atleast an hour.

That sounds brutal. you do iso shit as well?

Nowadays, I can only do 4-5 then im done. Not sure if its because my gear dosages are just a fraction of what they use to be, or im just aging.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/threads/200295-SFW-s-AbaXen-Journal-A-Summer-Blast
    $100 MINIMUM ORDER. FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $150! DISCOUNT CODE = freeship15

Anabolic Whore
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SFW View Post

Nowadays, I can only do 4-5 then im done. Not sure if its because my gear dosages are just a fraction of what they use to be, or im just aging.
    Let's go with the gear dosages
    Disclaimer: All information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. Everything posted is for entertainment purposes only. ANIMALHOUSE is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way use, encourage, nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

a light set then 5 x 5

will finish with 3 x 20 walking lunges (brutal)

then leg extensions
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

I hit them after leg press, so my quads are usually jello after 4-5 sets. I also do a drop set on my last working set.

On gear, I train legs 2x/wk, so I'll usually have another day where I'll knock out 6-7 sets of heavy squats.

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

Highly variable depending on my program, the intensity, whether or not you count warm-up sets, and depending on whether you are looking at the entire week or within a given workout.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

^^^^ this.

BB style.... 2-3high reps sets.
    PL style.... 5-6 low reps sets of 1-3
    http://www.blacklionresearch.com/
    hate it or love it....

Rep Points

I keep the sets pretty high, and I'm currently doing three different kinds of squats-Regular, fronts and high-bar. I don't do nearly as much weight compared to before lower back disc surgery a few years ago. I usually do around 12 sets of the three exercises and then some calf work on leg days. I like to train fast, with less than a minute between sets. Very different compared to how I trained a few years ago, but I'm starting to enjoy the different style.

Regular user

Rep Points

5 bulging disks with the usual neural/ spinal stenosis (diagnosed 8 months ago) so im currently only doing split squats. Just started rack pulls 2 months ago working my way back to the deadlift and eventually regular squats.

Rep Points

2 sets warmup
    3 or 4 sets ramping up the weight, usually depends on how busy the gym is, mood, etc.
    Then 3 sets of goblet squats. <--this is new for me
    Then 3 sets of either walking or regular lunges.
    Then 3 sets of 20 reps on the leg extension to get a lactic acid burn and pump.

Starting this week I'm switching things up and will be trying out the goblet squats as a warmup for the regular squats.

Swollen Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

4 sets. This has been my squat routine this cycle:

135 x 12
    225 x 12
    315 x 10
    365 x 8-10

I've been sticking with the same weight cause I feel my form suffers too much if I go too heavy. But instead of going heavier I just try to get more reps on the last set. I got straight to quad extension machine afterward and max that bitch out and get a GREAT PUMP.
    Like people about as much as they like me. Never found a way to say fuck you politely.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gissurjon View Post
    5 bulging disks with the usual neural/ spinal stenosis (diagnosed 8 months ago) so im currently only doing split squats. Just started rack pulls 2 months ago working my way back to the deadlift and eventually regular squats.
    I blew two lower discs completely, and had to have them repaired, along with considerable nerve damage that the surgeon said was likely due to years of abuse. I competed in powerlifting for over a decade, lifted heavy since High School and played football in H.S. and College. I'm sure all of the above contributed to the issues over time. I'm also 44, so that doesn't help much, either. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having, and I hope your disc problems improve, and you don't need surgery. If you do, they are doing some remarkable things these days. I had a Discectomy and a Laminectomy. The rehab took many months, but the relief has been remarkable. Never really realized how much pain I was in until I had it fixed. I'm just very grateful the nerve damage wasn't worse, and I was able to avoid fusion. Two years later and things are going very well, all things considered. I've had to cut back a lot of mass and work more for overall fitness as opposed to mass and power. I tried to come back and lift heavy after surgery, but I had a lot of pain, and the doc said I was just heading for more surgery. Best of luck to you, and I feel for your situation, believe me.

Rep Points

I do 3 warm-ups then 3 progressively heavier work sets and my last set is the weight of my first work set. Usually 7 sets.
    Sometimes after wards I will do a bunch of sets of 50% for ~3-5 reps.

Regular user

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I blew two lower discs completely, and had to have them repaired, along with considerable nerve damage that the surgeon said was likely due to years of abuse. I competed in powerlifting for over a decade, lifted heavy since High School and played football in H.S. and College. I'm sure all of the above contributed to the issues over time. I'm also 44, so that doesn't help much, either. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having, and I hope your disc problems improve, and you don't need surgery. If you do, they are doing some remarkable things these days. I had a Discectomy and a Laminectomy. The rehab took many months, but the relief has been remarkable. Never really realized how much pain I was in until I had it fixed. I'm just very grateful the nerve damage wasn't worse, and I was able to avoid fusion. Two years later and things are going very well, all things considered. I've had to cut back a lot of mass and work more for overall fitness as opposed to mass and power. I tried to come back and lift heavy after surgery, but I had a lot of pain, and the doc said I was just heading for more surgery. Best of luck to you, and I feel for your situation, believe me.
    thanks man
    I most likely will not need any surgery unless I do something to mess it up more. I am getting to the point now where I actually forget sometimes i ever had a back injury, some days are better than others though.
    When it first happened it was scary, I was playing basketball and was changing direction and this dude ran into me. Lost pretty much all strength in my legs for a good 15 min, they had to slide me of the court lol

Rep Points

Per session, it can vary from 5-10. For the week is well above 15.
    M. Ed. Ex Physiology

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SFW View Post

And effective, but that was when I was training ballsout. Nowadays strictly a circuit, still train with the intensity just not so long and hard.

This frees up a lot of freetime for me.

Anabolic Whore
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I'm glad you're OK. I couldn't imagine walking around all day in pain like that!
    Disclaimer: All information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. Everything posted is for entertainment purposes only. ANIMALHOUSE is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way use, encourage, nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Rep Points

3 Sets Heavy weight till failure.
    450+ lbs... Then add 25's as needed.
    To where I can only get 5 to 6.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gissurjon View Post
    thanks man
    I most likely will not need any surgery unless I do something to mess it up more. I am getting to the point now where I actually forget sometimes i ever had a back injury, some days are better than others though.
    When it first happened it was scary, I was playing basketball and was changing direction and this dude ran into me. Lost pretty much all strength in my legs for a good 15 min, they had to slide me of the court lol
    Back injuries are a bitch, and I'm glad you don't see surgery in your future just yet. It should be a last resort. Very scary stuff. When I finally blew the discs, i could not stand up straight, and my legs were numb and my ability to walk was severely compromised. I was scared to death. I thought the doctor was going to tell me that I was going to be in a wheelchair. I put it off for a few days, and my wife made me go to my GP, who said I needed an immediate MRI. Once the surgeon saw the MRI, he said I needed surgery the following Monday. My wife drove me to the hospital over the weekend, and he did the procedure. Again, I was worried that i might lose function of my legs. I've had a lot of injuries, and more than a few surgeries, but this was very emotionally traumatic, and the possibility of paralysis just scared me to death. Fortunately, all came out well, and all I faced after surgery was a lengthy recovery process. The shift in training style and training goals has been an adjustment, but I need to take care of my body and be around for my family. I love being large and powerful as much as anyone on this site, and I lived that lifestyle for decades, but at this point it is about overall fitness and conditioning, and avoiding further invasive medical procedures. I had do seek treatment for some muscle dysmorphia issues and such, but so far the transition is going well, and I have far less pain and my training is going well and I am making progress in an entirely different direction than before. What a difference a couple years makes. I tried to come back and train with intensity and gain all the mass and power baack, but the pain and risk of injury is simply too high at this point. The last thing I want is to with confinment to a wheelchair permanently in my 40's. Sport can be very addictive, and I was very hooked on being the biggest and strongest guy around. Turns out that is very hard to let go of, even when faced with trmendous physical dibilitation as a very real possibility. What a long, strange trip it's been!

AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by theCaptn' View Post
    will finish with 3 x 20 walking lunges (brutal)
    With a spotter or without?

Rep Points

Just this week i started the advanced German Volume (just to change things up)

Yesterday I did 10 sets on squats.Started with 8 reps and finished with 5.

Rep Points

This is off a 5 day split I started doing years ago. All the warm ups have worked well for me. Very few injuries.
    Squats:
    2 X 20 @
    1 X 15 @
    1 X 12 @
    1 X 10 @
    1 X 8 @
    1 X 7 @
    1 X 6 @
    1 X 5 @
    1 X 4 @
    1 X 3 @
    2 X 8 @
    Leg Extensions:
    4 X 6-8 @
    Leg Curls:
    4 X 6-8 @

Rep Points

20rep set anyone?

Rep Points

sometimes very few sometimes more than 30
    it depends on the program!

ironpete

Rep Points

I have used a routine that I have tweaked a bit recommended by BUILT. I do two leg workouts per week. One quad dominant workout and one hamstring dominant workout. On the quad day, I start with 3 - 4 sets of seated leg presses, then 3 sets of leg extensions. Now, my knees are properly warmed up and I do 3-5 sets of smith machine squats. I utilize a narrow stance to help enhance quad sweep and go as deep as my 45 year old body allows me to go. I really concentrate on good slow form. Yesterday, I was able to get 365 for 8 nice slow reps. Then, I throw in 3 sets of leg curls light high rep...

My squat is improving because of the fact that I devote one of my two leg days to hamstrings. I start with RDL's, then do lying and seated leg curls. About 12-15 sets total. Then end with some light high rep leg extensions. My hamstrings have gotten much bigger and I am a firm believer that is my my squat is improving so much.

I would recommend to try this routine to anyone looking for good, concentrated overall leg development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast