• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Smith machine ?

lean_n_76er

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
OK, this may seem a stupid question to most but here goes...

When training w/ a smith machine, how do you figure the w8? With a normal bench I know the bar weighs 45 lbs. So if I were to lift say 200, I would need to add 155 lbs. And with a smith machine it seems easier to move more w8. Is this because you aren't relying on the stabilizing muscles?

I would have to say that the weight on some SM's are the same on a bench except that it aids in balance and motion (smoothness). Could I be wrong?? A lot would disagree, though.

Originally posted by lean_n_76er

When training w/ a smith machine, how do you figure the w8? With a normal bench I know the bar weighs 45 lbs. So if I were to lift say 200, I would need to add 155 lbs. And with a smith machine it seems easier to move more w8. Is this because you aren't relying on the stabilizing muscles?

Sounds good to me!! yea yea that is the answer cause you aren't relying on stabilizing muscles. Yup that is what my answer is too and I'm sticking to it...... i think.

I always figured mine weighed the same as normal bars, but after your question, I put my scale on the floor and weighed myself. I then put it under the smith and stood on it while holding the bar. Mine comes in at 37.8 pounds.

Thinking about trying it in the morning and see if I get the same difference. I use a body solid pro-smith bearing, if that helps any.

*edit* Just did it again (I know, like 5 minutes later) and still get the same difference, although weight was .2 heavier, as the was the bar. 37.8 it is. I'll just assume the bar is 38 lbs.

well, all Smith machine's are a bit different but they are typically counter-weighted and the actual bar only weighs around 15lbs. It usually says somewhere on the machine the bar weight.

Other than weight, it's basically a machine and does not require you to balance the weight, so it's always going to be easier than a free weight barbell.

Originally posted by Stickboy
I always figured mine weighed the same as normal bars, but after your question, I put my scale on the floor and weighed myself. I then put it under the smith and stood on it while holding the bar. Mine comes in at 37.8 pounds.

Thinking about trying it in the morning and see if I get the same difference. I use a body solid pro-smith bearing, if that helps any.

*edit* Just did it again (I know, like 5 minutes later) and still get the same difference, although weight was .2 heavier, as the was the bar. 37.8 it is. I'll just assume the bar is 38 lbs.

Actually stickboy don't bother doing the test again in the am,, your weight is irrelavent. if you weigh 2 lbs lighter in the morning the bar is still going to weigh the same thus the difference will be the same.

if you weigh 200 now and the scale reads: 237 it is 37 pounds difference.

if in the morning you weight 198 the scale will read 235 because the bar didn't loose weight over night. The difference will still be 37 lbs.

LOL Firestorm. I was going to do it with a more accurate scale :D:D:D:D

After all the posts, I'm just going to assume the avg bar weighs 38lbs. :)

Originally posted by Stickboy
LOL Firestorm. I was going to do it with a more accurate scale :D:D:D:D

After all the posts, I'm just going to assume the avg bar weighs 38lbs. :)

Hey this topic just reminded me of something. I got a new Olympic straight bar for Xmas. A shorter one then the standard gym type. due to the width of my gym I need it for certain excercises like lunges, lying TRicep EXT. and a few others. Problem is I have no idea how much it weighs either. A standard bar is 8ft I believe. the one I have is 5ft I think. I'm going to have to weight it. Thanks for the reminder

:read:

Fire - I believe that it weighs 35 lbs. That's the bar that I have at home. I think that they are rated at like 400 max lbs. At least that's what mine says.

(The fuqin bar you pigs!) (Just in case! not directed at you Fire) :finger:

Hey thanks loads LEAN you saved me some trouble. I appreciate that very much.
Fire

you helped me alot cause I'm lazy. Figure I've had the bar since Xmas and STILL have not brought the scale into the basement to weigh it. Thanks again big guy.

Is this because you aren't relying on the stabilizing muscles?

Some of them also have a mild assistance, 30 pounds or so, the one at my gym is like this, the bar weighs almost nothing.

Re: Re: Smith machine ?

Originally posted by Mudge
Some of them also have a mild assistance, 30 pounds or so, the one at my gym is like this, the bar weighs almost nothing.

same here, we hava a Cybex.

IML Gear Cream!

Some smith machines are counter balanced and only weighs 15 lbs. Some models are actually heavier than 45 lbs! See if it says somewhere on the machine.

Re: Re: Smith machine ?

Originally posted by gopro
Some smith machines are counter balanced and only weighs 15 lbs. Some models are actually heavier than 45 lbs! See if it says somewhere on the machine.

that's what I have been trying to say! :)

I write everything down when I work out, and I simply do not count the bar for Smith exercises. To me, four plates equals 180 lbs. Screw adding the bar.

:grin:

Originally posted by I Are Baboon I simply do not count the bar for Smith exercises. Screw adding the bar.

Too much math for you 'Boon? :D

Re: Re: Re: Smith machine ?

Originally posted by Prince
that's what I have been trying to say! :)

Just thought I'd back ya up! ;)

If your writing the stuff on a pad, just denote that you used a smith machine, and then put the plate weights, easy that way.

Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I write everything down when I work out, and I simply do not count the bar for Smith exercises. To me, four plates equals 180 lbs. Screw adding the bar.

:grin:

On a serious note: This works well IF you use the same machine for every workout. If you go to a different gym or work-out in a gym that has more than one Smith Machine this may be a bit inaccurate.

Originally posted by ALBOB
On a serious note: This works well IF you use the same machine for every workout. If you go to a different gym or work-out in a gym that has more than one Smith Machine this may be a bit inaccurate.

I agree. The gym I go to has four of the same Smith machine.

And yes, the math is too hard anyway. :grin:

I'd stay away from the Smith Machines. You are better off using free weights. You shouldn't use any aid to help you lift weight. Don't even use gloves. They hurt your grip power. And they aren't cool looking like some think. Avoid using a weight belt unless you have to. Your lower back muscles will get weak and won't support you very well if they get used to a belt supporting them. If you max out on sqauts, then use your belt so you don't get a hernia. Otherwise, leave the belt on the floor.

Originally posted by Wolfpack22
I'd stay away from the Smith Machines. You are better off using free weights. You shouldn't use any aid to help you lift weight.
I agree that free weights are better than any machine but they do serve a purpose and can be used in combination with free weights for a better workout.
They are also nice for us that don't have a training partner but want to Max out safely.

Don't even use gloves. They hurt your grip power. And they aren't cool looking like some think. Avoid using a weight belt unless you have to. Your lower back muscles will get weak and won't support you very well if they get used to a belt supporting them. If you max out on squats, then use your belt so you don't get a hernia. Otherwise, leave the belt on the floor.
Again, I agree with the limited use of belts and straps but I don't agree with the use of gloves. My gym doesn't allow the use of chalk so I know my grip would be greatly effected more so without gloves than it is with. As for looking cool :nana: I've been a grown adult for some time, I don't give a rats ass what you or the gym bunnies think about how I look.

Back