Did my back deadlifting today

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    227
    Rep Points
    3234380

    Did my back deadlifting today

    I was doing deadlifts today and on my 4th work set I felt my lower back ping.
    I have attached a pic with an arrow of the region where it hurts the worst. Obviousley diagnosing over the internet is hard to do, if someone could name that region for me that would be a great help. Im booked in to see my physio in 2 days time.

    The pain is at its worst when I bend forward. Any advice on what I can do in the mean time to help aid the healing process?

    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love lifting so much that i wanna take it behind the school building and get it pregnant!

  2. #2
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    342
    Rep Points
    9992871

    Quote Originally Posted by yeksetm View Post
    I was doing deadlifts today and on my 4th work set I felt my lower back ping.
    I have attached a pic with an arrow of the region where it hurts the worst. Obviousley diagnosing over the internet is hard to do, if someone could name that region for me that would be a great help. Im booked in to see my physio in 2 days time.

    The pain is at its worst when I bend forward. Any advice on what I can do in the mean time to help aid the healing process?

    Thanks
    Looks like outer erector spinae muscles, possibly lower lats but where your arrow is seems too low.

    The pain is all localized to the outside? not in towards the spine? If so that's good news - be sure that when deadlifting you aren't allowing this portion of the back to bend forward, always aim to keep arched back/straight.

    Also your kidney is right where you have the arrow so if you happen to piss blood, go see your dr. sooner - otherwise it's just the muscle, but wanted to mention this just in case

  3. #3
    Regular user
    Gissurjon's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    in
    Posts
    1,310
    Rep Points
    160945391

    I put my money on disc problem.

  4. #4
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    227
    Rep Points
    3234380

    I pretty much have discomfort from my lower spine down and across the left side of my lower back. Its not extremely painful, just uncomfortable. See my physio on Thursday and will go from there.
    I love lifting so much that i wanna take it behind the school building and get it pregnant!

  5. #5
    "King of Cheat Meals"
    MODERATOR
    Merkaba's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    sc
    Posts
    3,185
    Rep Points
    97177665

    Probably tweaked an erector. Very common.
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

  6. #6
    AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP
    SFW's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    w/Geared Jesus ♂
    Posts
    9,175
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Gissurjon View Post
    I put my money on disc problem.
    this.

    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/threads/200295-SFW-s-AbaXen-Journal-A-Summer-Blast
    $100 MINIMUM ORDER. FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $150! DISCOUNT CODE = freeship15
    ORDERS OVER $250 AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED TO WIN $250 IN FREE PRODUCTS!
    ANY ORDER CONTAINING 1 BOTTLE OF A BLEND GETS FREE SHIPPING!


  7. #7
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Rep Points
    -300077

    Sorry to hear that. Hope you got it looked at and it is just a strain and nothing serious.

    Was it a mistake in technique that hurt your back? (besides the weight)

    I have found deadlifts to look simple but be very complex mechanically.

    Ripptoe's book Starting Strength has a very in-depth look at the mechanics behind the lift. It can be usefull.

    Take it for what its worth - I'm new to this.

  8. #8
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    227
    Rep Points
    3234380

    My technique is generally pretty solid. In retrospect I really wasn't feeling it that day. My warm up sucked and I was rushing things, so my form probably broke down enough to cause the problem. I do have Ripptoe's SS book, so once the back is okay i'll go back to the drawing board and lower the weights and correct any form problems that may have crept in.
    Cheers
    I love lifting so much that i wanna take it behind the school building and get it pregnant!

  9. #9
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Probably just a strain in one of the erectors or the quadratus lumborum. It could also be a disc issue, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. There are some other less common problems (Sacroiliac joint inflammation for example) that it could be, but those are the most likely culprits.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  10. #10
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,179
    Rep Points
    81654611

    Sounds like a low grade strain to the lumbar erectors or quadratus lumborum. When you bend forward, those tissues get pulled taut, hence the pain pain response.

    Rest, ice, stay off it. It you aren't getting any neurological symptoms in the leg (tingling, shooting pain through a specific region, numbness), it probably isn't a disc herniation. But, I'm not a doctor, so I can't assess you like one. Good to hear you are seeing your physio.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  11. #11
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,179
    Rep Points
    81654611

    Quote Originally Posted by Gissurjon View Post
    I put my money on disc problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by SFW View Post
    this.
    Why?
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    32
    Rep Points
    118003

    Lower lumbar strain. VERY common problem. Keep an eye on it over the next days and note which movements aggravate the pain and which movements alleviate the pain. Avoid bending forward for the time being. If you have to pick something up, squat down using legs. Give it some rest. As long as the pain is centralized in the back, you should be fine soon. If it starts to radiate down the buttock and or leg, then we are talking about a more long term injury.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    essential's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    37
    Rep Points
    105662

    Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Sounds like a low grade strain to the lumbar erectors or quadratus lumborum. When you bend forward, those tissues get pulled taut, hence the pain pain response.

    Rest, ice, stay off it. It you aren't getting any neurological symptoms in the leg (tingling, shooting pain through a specific region, numbness), it probably isn't a disc herniation. But, I'm not a doctor, so I can't assess you like one. Good to hear you are seeing your physio.
    Good post, like the OP I developed back pain after deadlifting a week ago today, was worried that it could be disc related but after reading up on the quadratus lumborum I think i can rest a bit more easily.

    I get episodic periods of pain in the lower back on the left side and a tight left buttock, hamstring stretches do help a lot, but its the usual story, lots of stretching back gets better, don't bother to stretch.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    bigBB21's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    70
    Rep Points
    1628862

    sorry to hear that bro.. hope all is well

  15. #15
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    227
    Rep Points
    3234380

    Quick update: Went to my physio yesterday and he said that I have done a disc but not to badly, as my pain when moving / bending has diminished substantually. Right now Im only getting pain when sitting down, which the physio attributes to the disc shifting when I'm in that position and sitting on a nerve.

    Am booked in to see him in less than a week, hopefully he'll clear me to get back into lifting at some level. Seems like the last 2 months has been a never ending story of injuries. Started with hip flexor issues, then winged scapula and now the back.

    Thanks for all the imput will keep you all updated.
    I love lifting so much that i wanna take it behind the school building and get it pregnant!

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Vincent M.'s Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    25
    Rep Points
    69916

    This post teaches us that we should focus on form before load

  17. #17
    Regular user
    Gissurjon's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    in
    Posts
    1,310
    Rep Points
    160945391

    Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    Why?
    No reason, just the betting type.

  18. #18
    Fueled by Testosterone
    MODERATOR
    CowPimp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    15,929
    Rep Points
    16817091

    Quote Originally Posted by yeksetm View Post
    Quick update: Went to my physio yesterday and he said that I have done a disc but not to badly, as my pain when moving / bending has diminished substantually. Right now Im only getting pain when sitting down, which the physio attributes to the disc shifting when I'm in that position and sitting on a nerve.

    Am booked in to see him in less than a week, hopefully he'll clear me to get back into lifting at some level. Seems like the last 2 months has been a never ending story of injuries. Started with hip flexor issues, then winged scapula and now the back.

    Thanks for all the imput will keep you all updated.
    Did he say herniation or bulge? Also, what was his method of diagnosis? Did he get you an MRI to confirm it, or is he basing it off of symptoms or some kind of movement based test?
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

    CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

  19. #19
    fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER
    fufu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    18,179
    Rep Points
    81654611

    Quote Originally Posted by CowPimp View Post
    Did he say herniation or bulge? Also, what was his method of diagnosis? Did he get you an MRI to confirm it, or is he basing it off of symptoms or some kind of movement based test?
    I'd be interested to know this as well.

    A herniated disc is a pretty popular diagnosis that is often derived from not-so-thorough assessments.
    fufu's 1337 Journal

    Your diet will set you free.

    I hate exercise, I love training.

  20. #20
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    32
    Rep Points
    118003

    Quote Originally Posted by yeksetm View Post
    Quick update: Went to my physio yesterday and he said that I have done a disc but not to badly, as my pain when moving / bending has diminished substantually. Right now Im only getting pain when sitting down, which the physio attributes to the disc shifting when I'm in that position and sitting on a nerve.

    Am booked in to see him in less than a week, hopefully he'll clear me to get back into lifting at some level. Seems like the last 2 months has been a never ending story of injuries. Started with hip flexor issues, then winged scapula and now the back.

    Thanks for all the imput will keep you all updated.
    While sitting, make sure proper posture is obtained. A lumbar roll, if available, is great to ensure proper posture. You can also roll up a towel and stick that at the lower lumbar region of your chair to ensure proper posture. This will alleviate pressure on the Lumbar discs.

    Good news is that the pain is centralized in the back. Sounds like you are on the right path to recovery, but take it easy. Key word is easy. I can't begin to tell you how many patients I see that think they are 100% and within days or weeks, they re-injure themselves worse. No need to rush these things.

  21. #21
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    None yo' business
    Posts
    196
    Rep Points
    7133597

    Quote Originally Posted by essential View Post
    Good post, like the OP I developed back pain after deadlifting a week ago today, was worried that it could be disc related but after reading up on the quadratus lumborum I think i can rest a bit more easily.

    I get episodic periods of pain in the lower back on the left side and a tight left buttock, hamstring stretches do help a lot, but its the usual story, lots of stretching back gets better, don't bother to stretch.

    I get the same thing, except it's on my right side, instead of left.

  22. #22
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    None yo' business
    Posts
    196
    Rep Points
    7133597

    Quote Originally Posted by yeksetm View Post
    Quick update: Went to my physio yesterday and he said that I have done a disc but not to badly, as my pain when moving / bending has diminished substantually. Right now Im only getting pain when sitting down, which the physio attributes to the disc shifting when I'm in that position and sitting on a nerve.

    Am booked in to see him in less than a week, hopefully he'll clear me to get back into lifting at some level. Seems like the last 2 months has been a never ending story of injuries. Started with hip flexor issues, then winged scapula and now the back.

    Thanks for all the imput will keep you all updated.

    Are you bulking, cutting, other??

    With that many injuries, sounds like over-training might be the culprit.
    Especially if your calories are low.

Similar Threads

  1. back workout from today
    By ygbodybuilder10 in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2009, 12:22 AM
  2. ~ok going back to the doc. today...~
    By kenwood in forum General Health & Awareness
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 08:32 PM
  3. ~ok going back to the doc. today...~
    By kenwood in forum Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 02:35 PM
  4. Starting Back On M1T Today
    By M.J.H. in forum Supplements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 09:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->