loading and unloading weeks?

the oncoming storm

Rep Points

loading and unloading weeks?

I've been doing squats once a week all year using a 5x5 program modified slightly with extra warm up sets. I got up to 500x5 for 3 sets in August of this year and have been pretty much repeating the same workout since then with the exception of a two week break I took end of Sept.

Recently, I've noticed reduced flexibility and fewer reps on final set. I normally go to failure on final set anywhere between 7-10 reps and I've been on the lower end recently. Last night on my last heavy warmup (460) i dropped the weight on the last rep. I just got to the bottom and kept going down.

I decided to just rep out at 410 after that (8 reps and 10 reps, breathing at the top to get a couple extra reps) and it felt pretty good.

Here's the question. I think I might be hitting squats heavy too often and I might benefit with maybe a lighter week followed by a heavy week. I've seen others mention loading and unloading methods I think in here before. Is that what this means?

I am looking to just maintain strength and size in that area at this point. Not looking for any additional growth or strength but some more development would be nice. My thighs are over 25" cold pretty much from top to bottom.

p.s. I've never wrapped knees before but one of the former powerlifters who spots me sometimes said I should invest in some for lifting at that weight.

Thanks for any help.

Rep Points

Every 4-5wks you should take a down wk at 40-50%. also streatching is very good to help keep you loose when going heavy all the time, if your squating 1x wk I would do it 2-3x wk. When I was doin smolov it was the only reason I could get through the workouts.... That shit was hard to do, but keeping limber made it possable.
    http://www.blacklionresearch.com/
    hate it or love it....

Rep Points

If you are just maintaining, doing one hard week and one weak week (lol) is probably a good way to go. Also, as dude said above, stretching is important. I stretch before every single workout...

Rep Points

Streatching before lowers dynamic output.... Do it after.
    http://www.blacklionresearch.com/
    hate it or love it....