• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

barbell rows - pull to top gut or chest?

Ted Shred

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Most vids I've seen pull toward the upper abs, like so:

YouTube Video

(some instructions have the elbows even closer to the sides in the up position)

However, Mehdi (stronglifts 5x5) says to do them as the exact form, though reversed, of bench press, ie pulling toward the chest:
YouTube Video

Would be interested in opinions on this.

Last edited:
Neither....

Do them more up right, more like yates style. Pull to lower belly. Bent over like the videos will work the upper back and not alot of the lats. So depending on wha part of the back you want to work would be how you do the lift.

just be comfortable about it , elbow not wide open and up to your midsection ( not like in video), you can use pronation or supination when grabbing the bar, it makes a small difference , one will work lower lats more than the other.

Last edited:
Neither....

Do them more up right, more like yates style. Pull to lower belly. Bent over like the videos will work the upper back and not alot of the lats. So depending on wha part of the back you want to work would be how you do the lift.
That's exactly how I do it....Yates style.

It would seem you'd injure yourself doing it like that in the vids unless you go super light.

Drag the barbell to your upper abs. Both of the videos fails on the important eccentric part and the ROM is far too short to pull out the lats as they do it. Short trainees should place themselves on a box or load with 22 lbs plates IMO...

Can't argue with a guy who had a great back(Dorian) I like his style but just won't go reverse grip because I'm afraid I might tear something.

Back