Potatoes Au Gratin are one of my favorite sides so I decided to come up with a way of making it low carb by replacing the potatoes with turnips along with a few other changes. The dish came out great and yielded about 6 generous portions but I would highly recommend adding cheese between each layer of turnips when you make the dish so it has a more authentic flavor. (I think mine was lacking a bit of the cheesiness on the inside) I will definitely make this again with the extra cheese and repost soon! Perfect keto recipe!
2 Large Turnips
2 Tbsp Flaxseed MEal
1 Cup Unsweetneded Almond Milk
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Cheddar cheese
1/4 Cup 3 Cheese Blend (Parmesan, Romano and Asiago)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Peel and slice turnips thinly using a grater
3. Mix flaxseed meal with salt and pepper to taste
4. Grease a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and spread a layer of grated turnips (about 1/3 of the turnips)
5. Top layer with 1/3 of the flaxseed meal mix
6. Repeat this creating layers until all the flaxseed meal and turnips have been used (about 3 layers)
* note: I recommend adding cheese on top of each layer as well
7. Heat almond milk and heavy cream on the stove top
8. Distribute the cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the layered turnip baking dish and pour the hot milk mixture over the cheese as well
9. Cover and bake for 45 minutes
10. Remove from heat and distribute the 3 cheese mix evenly on top of the dish
11. Place in the oven and bake an additional 8 minutes and then broil for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has browned.
12. Let cool, cut into 6 portions, place on a plate and enjoy!
For more daily and personally made low carb and keto recipes check out Low Carb, Keto , Paleo Diet Recipes | Nutrition Tips