• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

noob needs help

maskedman72

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
i have been lifting but i really dont know so much what i am doing. i would lift 3x a week and not really see much of a change even after 2 solid years of doing so. i started taking creatine phosphagen hp and put on some weight and got stronger but the weight looked more like water bloating then actual muscle.

i have a curl bar and some weights and 25 lb dumbells.

here is my current routine;

dumbell curls 3 sets of 8-10

curl bar curls 3 sets of 8-10

narrow grip pushups with feet on a chair 3 sets of 8-10

wide grip pushups w/feet elevated 3 sets of 8-10

dumbell flys 3 sets of 8-10

dumbell shoulder press 3 sets of 8-10

i am 6ft and 160. i would love to hit 180 someday.

i workout at home so do not have acess to all of the gym tools.

so my 1st question is where do i start?

if anyone can link me to youtube vids of good excersies to do using what i have that would be great.

any advise is welcome.
user_online.gif
progress.gif
hello, i am a 6ft 160 and have been working out for a while but never seem to see a result, even after 2 years 3 time a week.

i do my training at home so i only have a curl bar and 25 lb dumbells and a pull up bar.

i do dumbell curls and curlbar curls and flys and shoulder presses and narrow and wide grip pushups with my feet elevated.

i do 3 sets of 8-10 reps on all of them. and i do this 3 times a week.

i do not know if what i am doing is the right path so i am looking for any advise on lifts that will work.

if anyone can help or links to youtube vids of the proper way to do key lifts would be great.

this is the beginning
of the road for me.

once i get going i plan on doing some supps to help get where i want to go.

thanks!

after i do my workout, i drink a protien shake thinking it is doing something when it is probly doing nothing.. i got a lot of learning to do here.

here is your current routine;

Dumbell curls. 3 sets (8-10 reps):
TIPS: Increase reps, increase weight, lessen the time between sets. Pick one of thoes 3 options. If you typically weight 1 minute between sets, try something drastic like 30 seconds.
--I would recommend increasing weight over time (think small 5lbs a week) these weekly gains will increase over time. Think 5 or 2 1/2LBS a week over a 2 year period. As your strength increases so should your size. Be patient.
However, if increasing the weight is not an option tweek the time between sets and the number of reps you do. Don't keep doing the same thing.

Pushups: 3 sets of 8-10 reps? No offense but that is realy really bad. 3 sets of 70-100reps would be acceptable for a nice burn. below is strictly my opinion and has worked from my experiences, but here are what I consider acceptable guidelines
10 pushups - every 5-8 seconds rest between ests until failure
30 pushups - 40-60 seconds rest between sets
20-30 pushup alternate - 60 or so seconds
40-50 reps - 1-1/2 - 2 minute rest between sets.
Work towards those goals, again strictly my opinion.
I workout at a university and sometimes our gym closes for up to 2 weeks. I keep my strength up with pushup routines and even after 2 weeks with no gym my bench and shoulder strength declines very little. Pushups are descent strength builders and awesome at preservation.

Why those rep ranges and with what weight?

i have no reason why i do that amount of reps.

the weight is 20lb with the dumbells (i just bought 25lb dumbells today)and 60lbs with the curl bar and i do not increase the weight. i start with that weight and finish with it.

Do you increase the weight you use over time?

no, but i can get some more weights and do this.

if you CANNOT increase weight then increase your rep ranges
also consider decreasing time between sets.

ok. more reps/less rest.

if you take creatine try to drink 1 gallon of water a day.

i dont take it. i used to take eas cretine/phosphagen hp but it just added water weight. it did make me stronger though.

Did not mean to make 2 posts. Read my newest one.
Also, water weight is good weight :)

Why those rep ranges and with what weight?

i have no reason why i do that amount of reps.

the weight is 20lb with the dumbells (i just bought 25lb dumbells today)and 60lbs with the curl bar and i do not increase the weight. i start with that weight and finish with it.

Do you increase the weight you use over time?

no, but i can get some more weights and do this.

if you CANNOT increase weight then increase your rep ranges
also consider decreasing time between sets.

ok. more reps/less rest.

if you take creatine try to drink 1 gallon of water a day.

i dont take it. i used to take eas cretine/phosphagen hp but it just added water weight. it did make me stronger though.

Body needs variety. It will adapt to everything you do. Try to change workout every 4-6 weeks, 6-10 sets are usually overkill on a certain body part. Once you tear down a muscle , it needs rest and recuperation. This is just as important as training. Also you should be in a calorie surplus. Take your body weight and multiply it by 20. Get that many calories a day and you will grow. This life style is a 3 legged stool. [training, calories,rest] When one or two are missing, you aint sittin on it.

very true

Body needs variety. It will adapt to everything you do. Try to change workout every 4-6 weeks, 6-10 sets are usually overkill on a certain body part. Once you tear down a muscle , it needs rest and recuperation. This is just as important as training. Also you should be in a calorie surplus. Take your body weight and multiply it by 20. Get that many calories a day and you will grow. This life style is a 3 legged stool. [training, calories,rest] When one or two are missing, you aint sittin on it.

i was going to ask about rest. so every other day is ideal?

how many sets of 8-10 reps are too many?

also, do i have to lift my max on each thing i do each time i do it?

i need to eat!

For a noob, this is somewhat useless advice. He should focus on big lifts such as the bench, squat, deadlift, pull ups and some sort of over-head press, and progressing in these lifts.
The "shock your muscles" "trick your body" "muscle confusion" are all selling points made popular by fitness companies trying to sell you their latest product. What is important is progressive overload. What these marketing phrases fail to tell you is that if you add 5 pounds more on today's workout than you did last week's workout, the stimulation is different.

Bench, squat, dead, military press, dips= variety.

Maskdman, my friend. Don't over complicate things for yourself, get help with designing a good program, work it hard, eat allot, and get enough sleep/rest. Worry about "switching things up" and "shocking your muscles" later (like never).

IML Gear Cream!
i have been lifting but i really dont know so much what i am doing. i would lift 3x a week and not really see much of a change even after 2 solid years of doing so. i started taking creatine phosphagen hp and put on some weight and got stronger but the weight looked more like water bloating then actual muscle.

i have a curl bar and some weights and 25 lb dumbells.

here is my current routine;

i am 6ft and 160. i would love to hit 180 someday.

i workout at home so do not have acess to all of the gym tools.

so my 1st question is where do i start?

if anyone can link me to youtube vids of good excersies to do using what i have that would be great.

any advise is welcome.
user_online.gif
progress.gif
hello, i am a 6ft 160 and have been working out for a while but never seem to see a result, even after 2 years 3 time a week.

i do my training at home so i only have a curl bar and 25 lb dumbells and a pull up bar.

i do dumbell curls and curlbar curls and flys and shoulder presses and narrow and wide grip pushups with my feet elevated.

i do 3 sets of 8-10 reps on all of them. and i do this 3 times a week.

i do not know if what i am doing is the right path so i am looking for any advise on lifts that will work.

if anyone can help or links to youtube vids of the proper way to do key lifts would be great.

this is the beginning
of the road for me.

once i get going i plan on doing some supps to help get where i want to go.

thanks!

The most obvious reason for you not growing is that your program is terrible (under-statement)

Could you have access to a gym?

By the way, I know where you are coming from, I started at 6'3 170 pounds and currently sit at 224, 3 years into my training.

thanks for the replys! i do not take offense by being told my routine is bad. that is why i am here. i really dont know what is enough or how many of what to do.

i do not at this time belong to a gym. right now i have limited weight and equipment.

when i did go to the gym i always heard people say to go heavy or go home. i guess this is true!

Although I am by no means huge or anything, I have gained close to 20 lbs (still have about another 15-20 lbs more to go), and have gained quite a bit of muscle. I, too, workout at home. I have an Epic dumbbell weight set I use in conjuction with a bench. The Epic set has selectable weights using a slider, from 10-50 lbs each dumbbell.

I do 5 sets of each body group, taking 20 second breaks between sets. I also switch up the routine between each of the sets, so as not to have my body "adapt". This has been highly effective in building my muscles up.

I also agree with the previous posts about rest. I workout with weights every other day. About once a month, I will take the whole weekend off from weights and cardio. On the days I do not weightlift, I do HIITs, running at 5mph and 9mph intervals for about 30 minutes. On my weightlifting days, I also do a total of 8 sets of pushups, with every other set being wide arms and regular width. I allow myself 30 second rests between sets, and each set is about 25 pushups. It is a killer by the 7th and 8th sets!!!

My worst problem is getting enough protein. I am trying to do 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, but it is tough to get there. Most days, I only end up with about 100-120 grams, which is anywhere from 40-60 grams under where I need to be. I do not like to drink my protein, but it seems to be a possible alternative...

Ian

... On the days I do not weightlift, I do HIITs, running at 5mph and 9mph intervals for about 30 minutes.

I forgot to mention, that I only do my HIIT workouts 3 times a week. Too many of those will kill my knees and my ankles, plus inhibit my weight gain too much. I also have a job where I walk alot outside (for about 6-7 miles each day I work), so I figure just 3 times a week is enough for the HIIT sets.

Ian

Although I am by no means huge or anything, I have gained close to 20 lbs (still have about another 15-20 lbs more to go), and have gained quite a bit of muscle. 8th sets!!!

Ian

Ian, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you're driving straight into overtraining. Perhaps you should take a look at the links. It's a wonder you've gained anything.

As for the OP, your best bet is to supplement only with a protein shake, possibly creatine (mono) and a solid diet that will get you to meet your goals.

It really isn't that hard to get the required amount of protein in. I tend to eat a ton of chicken, steak, eggs, ground turkey, fish and kangaroo. I only drink 1 or 2 protein shakes a day at most.

Start logging what you eat either by using Fitday.com or if you have an iphone use fatsecret. I tend to plan my meals a week in advance using fatsecret.

I might look into this also. I am horrible at keeping track of my food intake

Ian, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you're driving straight into overtraining. Perhaps you should take a look at the links. It's a wonder you've gained anything.

As for the OP, your best bet is to supplement only with a protein shake, possibly creatine (mono) and a solid diet that will get you to meet your goals.

Funny thing.. I started reading a crapload of the training threads, and I would have to agree with you that my workout needs a major overhaul! I am training too often on the same muscles. I have seen quite an improvement in my physique, but I am wondering if its just the breakdown I am seeing more than a build. I am making changes to my program immediately. It will look something like this, as suggested by Gazhole..

Monday - Lower Push (Squats, Leg Press, Lunges)
Tuesday - Upper Pull (Bent Over Rows, Chinups, Curls)
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Lower Pull (Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Leg Curls)
Friday - Upper Push (Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Tricep Extensions)

I think this will be a lot more effective than what I had been doing. Plus, I will be getting my eating up more, and this will provide sufficent rest.

Great site... so glad I found it!!!

Ian

Looks alot better but.................... I would drop the curls and add in another rowing variation, drop the Tri Ext and add in another push and drop the leg curls and throw in some hypers or even GHR.

I'm using it for my prep CK. Works beautifully. Has a great setting where you if you eat the same things daily, just check and select it.

I agree that that is one of the perks of Fat Secret. I also like it the fact that it now has brands from Australian supermarkets. ohhh and some of the recipes on it aren't bad. Try the Turkey Enchilada casserole!!! (You'll thank me)

Looks alot better but.................... I would drop the curls and add in another rowing variation, drop the Tri Ext and add in another push and drop the leg curls and throw in some hypers or even GHR.

Agreed. Good mornings are a better option for hamstrings. Underhand grip rows seriously bomb the biceps, as well as pullups.
I use the seated calf machine for GHRs. Great on the knees instead of doing it on the floor.

Back