NapsGear.net


Heavy Lifting(biceps)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37
  1. #1
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Heavy Lifting(biceps)

    I started lifting heavy(biceps) with a curl bar about a month after starting I developed pain in my forearms.A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him and went to the doctor and was told it was tendinitis.He told me he switched to the strait bar and it went away.Taking his advice I switched to a strait bar and it went away completely.Have any of you experienced this?Is a curl bar only for light or comfortable weights?

  2. #2
    I'm Dead Sexxxxy!!
    ELITE MEMBER
    Scotty the Body's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,970
    Rep Points
    6935202

    Depends on the person, for me the straight bar was giving me the same pain and switching to the EZ bar is what helped me.
    Cool

  3. #3
    Registered User
    CelticWarrior's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    3
    Rep Points
    10

    You ever try changing where you place your hands?
    I know one guy in my gym who couldn't do use a narrow grip on the curl bar but when he widened his grip the pain went away.

    Just a thought
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

    Enjoy the Pain!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Prince's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    63,531
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Originally posted by Scotty the Body
    ... for me the straight bar was giving me the same pain and switching to the EZ bar is what helped me.
    same here.


    IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15






    IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15



  5. #5
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by Scotty the Body
    Depends on the person, for me the straight bar was giving me the same pain and switching to the EZ bar is what helped me.
    Yeah like a lot of things in lifting it depends on the person guess the best thing is to experiment and see what works for yourself but asking around can usually give you some new ideas to work with

  6. #6
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by CelticWarrior
    You ever try changing where you place your hands?
    I know one guy in my gym who couldn't do use a narrow grip on the curl bar but when he widened his grip the pain went away.

    Just a thought
    I think that's a cool idea i'm gonna try it.I do change my grip on the strait bar once I drop some weight I use a closer grip bringing my elbows in.I think it helps isolate the bi's and it's a good finisher for me.Thanks for the thought

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    Pepper's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,545
    Rep Points
    9523646

    Re: Heavy Lifting(biceps)

    Originally posted by MeanCuts
    I started lifting heavy(biceps) with a curl bar about a month after starting I developed pain in my forearms.A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him and went to the doctor and was told it was tendinitis.He told me he switched to the strait bar and it went away.Taking his advice I switched to a strait bar and it went away completely.Have any of you experienced this?Is a curl bar only for light or comfortable weights?
    I had that once. In my case it hurt like hell when I let go of the bar. I lifted through it and just started letting go of the bar slowly. Then I was told about Glucosamin (sp?) and started taking it. It went away never to return.

  8. #8
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Re: Re: Heavy Lifting(biceps)

    Originally posted by Seahawks51
    I had that once. In my case it hurt like hell when I let go of the bar. I lifted through it and just started letting go of the bar slowly. Then I was told about Glucosamin (sp?) and started taking it. It went away never to return.
    It got to the point for me that as soon as I picked up the EZ bar it hurt and I could also feel it in some of my other workouts just not nearly as much.I've been taking Glucosamine(1000mg) twice a day since the beginning of January.I personally haven't noticed any difference,but i've heard it takes a while to work.

  9. #9
    Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER
    Fit Freak's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,797
    Rep Points
    781055

    Straight Bar gave me makpr problems...now it's EZ Bar all the way unless I'm going very light and doing something like 21s.
    Searching for the right balance...

  10. #10
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by Fit Freak
    Straight Bar gave me makpr problems...now it's EZ Bar all the way unless I'm going very light and doing something like 21s.
    What is makpr?Did you mean major?If so what kind?I had major problems from the EZ bar in my forearms but i've heard people say the strait bar hurts their wrists doesn't mine though.

  11. #11
    muscle= train,eat,sleep!
    sandwich's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    ont,canada
    Posts
    91
    Rep Points
    437082

    well guess that postion was not agreeing with you...a straight bar puts more stress to the wrists, from the angle it dosent have..but if it works for you..do it! i use the curl bar...and loaded weight on it. no probs...you use your arms..esp the forearms in everything...(almost) so they get alot of use. most of the time, over use..so theyre pron to injury. just watch for any pain in the arm area...

  12. #12
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by sandwich
    well guess that postion was not agreeing with you...a straight bar puts more stress to the wrists, from the angle it dosent have..but if it works for you..do it! i use the curl bar...and loaded weight on it. no probs...you use your arms..esp the forearms in everything...(almost) so they get alot of use. most of the time, over use..so theyre pron to injury. just watch for any pain in the arm area...
    That's really good advice.I always try to listen to my body.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    firestorm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,765
    Rep Points
    10

    I see it this way. whichever one you 1st start going heavy with ends up straining the tendons regardless which bar you use. Changing the bar changes the angle thus changinmg where the stress is placed on the tendons. Going from straight bar for example to angled bar adjusts the angle of the tendon where you caused the little tears to be facing more towards the inside of your arm. Sort of like taking a twig and slightly breaking it where it splinters. Then taking the stick and rotating it half way around. the splintered area is now vertical and the parallel part of the stick is not broken. (hard to put this theory in words for some reason) This is my theory though don't go looking in a med book for more info on this. hahahaha

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    firestorm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,765
    Rep Points
    10

    btw for the record I have it going on in both arms myself right now. at the bottom of bicep in the bend of my elbow area. Horrible pain. I wrap them with those elbow wraps on arm day and Also have to use the ez bar for best comfort. I still do straight bars too for certain workouts and live with it. (not something I would ever advise). My advise is Ibuprophen, ice, and resting it.

  15. #15
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by firestorm
    I see it this way. whichever one you 1st start going heavy with ends up straining the tendons regardless which bar you use. Changing the bar changes the angle thus changinmg where the stress is placed on the tendons. Going from straight bar for example to angled bar adjusts the angle of the tendon where you caused the little tears to be facing more towards the inside of your arm. Sort of like taking a twig and slightly breaking it where it splinters. Then taking the stick and rotating it half way around. the splintered area is now vertical and the parallel part of the stick is not broken. (hard to put this theory in words for some reason) This is my theory though don't go looking in a med book for more info on this. hahahaha
    Think you might be right heavy lifting(biceps) puts a lot of strain on your tendons regaurdless.I haven't seen it in a med book or workout mag just one of those things you find out

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    firestorm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,765
    Rep Points
    10

    Welcome to the Board MeanCuts!! Glad to have a new member expeciallly the ones that agree with me!!!

  17. #17
    muscle= train,eat,sleep!
    sandwich's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    ont,canada
    Posts
    91
    Rep Points
    437082

    Exclamation

    be careful with straight/curl bar curls..you use alot of weight and like mentioned..alot of stress is put on the lower bi tendon...believe me i know!!! if yer experiencing pain in the lower bi area..its prob the tendon...and that means lay off! you do not wanna tear that. i did and i will never be the same. i ignored the pain i had in that area, not realizing what it was and regret it majoraly.

  18. #18
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by sandwich
    be careful with straight/curl bar curls..you use alot of weight and like mentioned..alot of stress is put on the lower bi tendon...believe me i know!!! if yer experiencing pain in the lower bi area..its prob the tendon...and that means lay off! you do not wanna tear that. i did and i will never be the same. i ignored the pain i had in that area, not realizing what it was and regret it majoraly.
    Yeah I hear ya gotta listen to your body and be able to tell the difference between a good pain and a bad one.The pain wasn't in the bicep though it was in the bone in my forarms.Since I swichted to the strait bar it feels really good no pain anywhere Plus I try not to over do it like I don't lift so heavy I swing the bar like I see some other guys doing.Thanks for the input

  19. #19
    Rhino


    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rockford, Illinois
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Points
    -24855

    I get a weird pain that kinda shoots up my forearms in the few seconds immdiately following a set, but never anytime else. i think mine is from the skateboarding i used to do.
    back for the first time....

  20. #20
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by RCfootball87
    I get a weird pain that kinda shoots up my forearms in the few seconds immdiately following a set, but never anytime else. i think mine is from the skateboarding i used to do.
    Yeah my brother's all banged up from skateboarding think that could be why you get pain do you get a lot knee/wrist pain also?

  21. #21
    Sweet 'lil Innocent Mod
    cornfed's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    serenity now insanity later
    Posts
    1,807
    Rep Points
    5149936

    straight bar all the way baby

    on a side note... st bar tends to use the bi more completely when you use a wide grip. That's why I use the pre weighted short bars w/ a thumbless grip where my thumbs are parallel to the bar outward and touching the wheights. Best thing I've done for my bis and it works out in the mechanics of it as well

    JMO
    Serenity Now...

  22. #22
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by cornfed
    straight bar all the way baby

    on a side note... st bar tends to use the bi more completely when you use a wide grip. That's why I use the pre weighted short bars w/ a thumbless grip where my thumbs are parallel to the bar outward and touching the wheights. Best thing I've done for my bis and it works out in the mechanics of it as well

    JMO
    Amen cornfed strait bar works great for me

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    firestorm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,765
    Rep Points
    10

    Originally posted by sandwich
    be careful with straight/curl bar curls..you use alot of weight and like mentioned..alot of stress is put on the lower bi tendon...believe me i know!!! if yer experiencing pain in the lower bi area..its prob the tendon...and that means lay off! you do not wanna tear that. i did and i will never be the same. i ignored the pain i had in that area, not realizing what it was and regret it majoraly.
    Yea we can see how your arms have been negatively effected from your pic Sandwich hahahahahaha Your arms look great but I know where your coming from. Injuries like those linger forever. Just like back problems. I injured my back in 1989 and to this day it has never been the same I can't put more then 315 across my shoulders when squatting cause of the pressure it puts on my lower back just standing upright. I tell everyone,, FORM is the most important aspect of weight training without question. Secondly knowing the difference between pain and injury.

  24. #24
    i used to get it on straight bars, but then someone told me to not put my thumb under the bar, and i don't anymore and i have no pain
    Alláhu akbar

    the engine to my comprehension is just too complex

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    firestorm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,765
    Rep Points
    10

    Yea well Fruit,, nobody in their right mind puts their thumb under the bar in the 1st place for curls. I'm sure he is using the proper grip. It is tendon strain which is very common with new trainees. The muscles get stronger faster then the tendons so the tendons are strained now SHUTUP like I told you in all the other Threads.

  26. #26
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by firestorm
    Yea well Fruit,, nobody in their right mind puts their thumb under the bar in the 1st place for curls. I'm sure he is using the proper grip. It is tendon strain which is very common with new trainees. The muscles get stronger faster then the tendons so the tendons are strained now SHUTUP like I told you in all the other Threads.
    I use a normal grip.i used to use the curl bar as a finisher and never had any problems with it until I went heavy.Now I totally stopped using it just using dumbells,strait bar,cables&chin-ups.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    firestorm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,765
    Rep Points
    10

    yea meancuts,, like i stated earlier,, your muscles get stronger faster then the tendons. You strained them. I've done it many times myself.

  28. #28
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by firestorm
    yea meancuts,, like i stated earlier,, your muscles get stronger faster then the tendons. You strained them. I've done it many times myself.
    If that's the case then why did the pain stop when I switched bars and actually added weight?

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    firestorm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    7,765
    Rep Points
    10

    because you turned your wrist which changed exactly where you tendon was being stressed before. What actually happens to those tendons when strained are a bunch of little tears. Its similar to taking a twig from a tree, bending it just enough to hear it start to crack and shread, then taking the stick and turning it slightly left or right and when you start to bend the stick again,, it's a fresh area of the stick not damaged "yet" by little tears and rips.

  30. #30
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego,CA
    Posts
    473
    Rep Points
    331858

    Originally posted by firestorm
    because you turned your wrist which changed exactly where you tendon was being stressed before. What actually happens to those tendons when strained are a bunch of little tears. Its similar to taking a twig from a tree, bending it just enough to hear it start to crack and shread, then taking the stick and turning it slightly left or right and when you start to bend the stick again,, it's a fresh area of the stick not damaged "yet" by little tears and rips.
    Cool thanks for the info it makes sense cause I never trained heavy with the EZ bar before How long do you think I should wait before I try lifting heavy with the EZ bar again?

Similar Threads

  1. Heavy Lifting and Cardio
    By jsparis8 in forum Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 05:38 PM
  2. Lifting Heavy & Joints
    By kyoun1e in forum Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 07:00 PM
  4. heavy back work enough for biceps??
    By Rpn1984 in forum Training
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 02:06 AM
  5. Heavy lifting and running
    By Skyliner in forum Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-30-2001, 08:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->