Heavy Lifting(biceps)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Heavy Lifting(biceps)

I started lifting heavy(biceps) with a curl bar about a month after starting I developed pain in my forearms.A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him and went to the doctor and was told it was tendinitis.He told me he switched to the strait bar and it went away.Taking his advice I switched to a strait bar and it went away completely.Have any of you experienced this?Is a curl bar only for light or comfortable weights?

I'm Dead Sexxxxy!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Depends on the person, for me the straight bar was giving me the same pain and switching to the EZ bar is what helped me.
    Cool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

You ever try changing where you place your hands?
    I know one guy in my gym who couldn't do use a narrow grip on the curl bar but when he widened his grip the pain went away.

Just a thought
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

Enjoy the Pain!!!!!!!!

Administrator
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    169 Posts
    Rep Points

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
    ... for me the straight bar was giving me the same pain and switching to the EZ bar is what helped me.
    same here.

15% Discount Code works on ALL stores below: Robert15

@rdimaggio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
    Depends on the person, for me the straight bar was giving me the same pain and switching to the EZ bar is what helped me.
    Yeah like a lot of things in lifting it depends on the person guess the best thing is to experiment and see what works for yourself but asking around can usually give you some new ideas to work with

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Originally posted by CelticWarrior
    You ever try changing where you place your hands?
    I know one guy in my gym who couldn't do use a narrow grip on the curl bar but when he widened his grip the pain went away.

Just a thought
    I think that's a cool idea i'm gonna try it.I do change my grip on the strait bar once I drop some weight I use a closer grip bringing my elbows in.I think it helps isolate the bi's and it's a good finisher for me.Thanks for the thought

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Re: Heavy Lifting(biceps)

Originally posted by MeanCuts
    I started lifting heavy(biceps) with a curl bar about a month after starting I developed pain in my forearms.A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him and went to the doctor and was told it was tendinitis.He told me he switched to the strait bar and it went away.Taking his advice I switched to a strait bar and it went away completely.Have any of you experienced this?Is a curl bar only for light or comfortable weights?
    I had that once. In my case it hurt like hell when I let go of the bar. I lifted through it and just started letting go of the bar slowly. Then I was told about Glucosamin (sp?) and started taking it. It went away never to return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Re: Re: Heavy Lifting(biceps)

Originally posted by Seahawks51
    I had that once. In my case it hurt like hell when I let go of the bar. I lifted through it and just started letting go of the bar slowly. Then I was told about Glucosamin (sp?) and started taking it. It went away never to return.
    It got to the point for me that as soon as I picked up the EZ bar it hurt and I could also feel it in some of my other workouts just not nearly as much.I've been taking Glucosamine(1000mg) twice a day since the beginning of January.I personally haven't noticed any difference,but i've heard it takes a while to work.

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Straight Bar gave me makpr problems...now it's EZ Bar all the way unless I'm going very light and doing something like 21s.
    Searching for the right balance...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Originally posted by Fit Freak
    Straight Bar gave me makpr problems...now it's EZ Bar all the way unless I'm going very light and doing something like 21s.
    What is makpr?Did you mean major?If so what kind?I had major problems from the EZ bar in my forearms but i've heard people say the strait bar hurts their wrists doesn't mine though.

muscle= train,eat,sleep!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

well guess that postion was not agreeing with you...a straight bar puts more stress to the wrists, from the angle it dosent have..but if it works for you..do it! i use the curl bar...and loaded weight on it. no probs...you use your arms..esp the forearms in everything...(almost) so they get alot of use. most of the time, over use..so theyre pron to injury. just watch for any pain in the arm area...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Originally posted by sandwich
    well guess that postion was not agreeing with you...a straight bar puts more stress to the wrists, from the angle it dosent have..but if it works for you..do it! i use the curl bar...and loaded weight on it. no probs...you use your arms..esp the forearms in everything...(almost) so they get alot of use. most of the time, over use..so theyre pron to injury. just watch for any pain in the arm area...
    That's really good advice.I always try to listen to my body.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I see it this way. whichever one you 1st start going heavy with ends up straining the tendons regardless which bar you use. Changing the bar changes the angle thus changinmg where the stress is placed on the tendons. Going from straight bar for example to angled bar adjusts the angle of the tendon where you caused the little tears to be facing more towards the inside of your arm. Sort of like taking a twig and slightly breaking it where it splinters. Then taking the stick and rotating it half way around. the splintered area is now vertical and the parallel part of the stick is not broken. (hard to put this theory in words for some reason) This is my theory though don't go looking in a med book for more info on this. hahahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

btw for the record I have it going on in both arms myself right now. at the bottom of bicep in the bend of my elbow area. Horrible pain. I wrap them with those elbow wraps on arm day and Also have to use the ez bar for best comfort. I still do straight bars too for certain workouts and live with it. (not something I would ever advise). My advise is Ibuprophen, ice, and resting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Originally posted by firestorm
    I see it this way. whichever one you 1st start going heavy with ends up straining the tendons regardless which bar you use. Changing the bar changes the angle thus changinmg where the stress is placed on the tendons. Going from straight bar for example to angled bar adjusts the angle of the tendon where you caused the little tears to be facing more towards the inside of your arm. Sort of like taking a twig and slightly breaking it where it splinters. Then taking the stick and rotating it half way around. the splintered area is now vertical and the parallel part of the stick is not broken. (hard to put this theory in words for some reason) This is my theory though don't go looking in a med book for more info on this. hahahaha
    Think you might be right heavy lifting(biceps) puts a lot of strain on your tendons regaurdless.I haven't seen it in a med book or workout mag just one of those things you find out