• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Warming Up

ss4vegeta1

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I usually train for strength and progressive resistance. So my warmup is very elongated. First Bw stuff and mobility movements. Making sure all muscles are warm, stretched and ready to go. Then if say I am deadlifting I do min 4 sets pyramiding up in weights. Then do the workset when ready. My question pertains to guys who do total body with progressive resistance. How are they properly warmed up to do the lift avoiding the initial warmup phases I mentioned. It takes me 15-20min to properly warmup. Training is around 40min. If I were doing it for the whole body my workout would have to be 2-3 hours. Screw that. Just sayin.

Fwiw, here's a warmup calculator for Starting Strength.

As you can see, and as I just read in my spankin' new (3ed) SS book, Rippetoe's big into keepin' warmups as just that - doesn't want 'em interfering with work sets. This is coming from a total noob, mind you, but I usually ride the bike for 5-8 minutes for general warmup and don't wait much between warmup sets (hardly any time at all between the first few), so I can concentrate my time on working sets and gettin' in and out of the gym asap while still having a quality workout. (Bit of stretching here and there, usually after an exercise, but nothing too excessive.)

http://www.allthingsgym.com/2011/08/starting-strength-warm-up-calculator.html
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmWyzQPqnP1wcGxsU1FwNlpITmFBcUZGcHBESXVfSkE&hl=en#gid=0

I usually train for strength and progressive resistance. So my warmup is very elongated. First Bw stuff and mobility movements. Making sure all muscles are warm, stretched and ready to go. Then if say I am deadlifting I do min 4 sets pyramiding up in weights. Then do the workset when ready. My question pertains to guys who do total body with progressive resistance. How are they properly warmed up to do the lift avoiding the initial warmup phases I mentioned. It takes me 15-20min to properly warmup. Training is around 40min. If I were doing it for the whole body my workout would have to be 2-3 hours. Screw that. Just sayin.

Elongated

As Ted posted in regard to Rippetoe, don't turn you warm up into. Thus, an "elongated" warm ups don't make much sense.

Mobility Movements/Stretching

Stretching prior to an exercise decrease strength, power, etc.

Any stretching need to be performed after your workout.

Tensons/Ligaments

Tendons and ligaments are like string cheeze. Like string cheeze, the are more pliable when warm. After a workout, tendons and ligaments are more pliable.

Mobility Movements

Like stretching, better at the end of your program.

15-20 Minute Warm Up

You will perform better waste less time with specific warmp ups.

Thus, perform deadlifts warm ups for deadlifts.

Whole Body Training

Doing an exercise like deadlifts, carries over for other exercises. That means you end up taking fewer warm ups if you go from deadlifts to let's say the bench press.

Kenny Croxdale

Warm ups are over rated

I usually do 15-20 minutes for my warmup. It's different depending on what areas i'm working/what's tight but generally:

Foam Rolling - 10 rolls for: Quads, IT Band, Hams, Glutes, Lower Back, Traps.

Followed by dynamic stuff like glute bridges, shoulder dislocations, split squats, knee pushout squats.

Then i'll do some prehab exercises like YTAs, back extensions, bird-dogs etc.

After that i'll do 1-3 warmups for my main exercise, and get to the workout. A good warmup is critical to getting the most out of your session and avoiding injury. It's funny, the people who care the most about warming up are usually the ones who've had injuries in the past.

I usually do 15-20 minutes for my warmup. It's different depending on what areas i'm working/what's tight but generally:

Followed by dynamic stuff like glute bridges, shoulder dislocations, split squats, knee pushout squats.

After that i'll do 1-3 warmups for my main exercise, and get to the workout. A good warmup is critical to getting the most out of your session and avoiding injury. It's funny, the people who care the most about warming up are usually the ones who've had injuries in the past.

You may aswell of been speaking in chinese there lol...

Foam rolling,shoulder disloctions (sounds painful) prehab exercise like YTA me no understaday hahaha bird dogs what the fuuuuuuck!!

My job is fairly physicall so I'm warming up fr 8 hours really lol I will usually just perform the exercises I plan doing onthe given day but use really light weight high rep n squeeze for me warm up..

I usually over warm up and fatigue myself stopping me from going as heavy as I'd like

No bird dogs or cat sheep here!

Your warm up is superfluous.

Warm Up Calculator/Rippetoe

Rippetoe's article (in Shred's post) basically not to turn your warm up into a workout.

"Warm ups are over rated." JIMM

Pavel echoed the same in his book, Beyond Stretching.

Head Trip

"Elongated" warm ups are performed more for the head that the body.

As you noted, individuals who've had injuries for some reason attribute a poor warm up was the cause of the problem. Which it most likely wasn't.

These individuals then become overly cautions and go overboard on warm ups.

Longer Isn't Better.

Those overly concerned with warm ups believe that a long warm up is better, which it isn't. A lengthy warm up is counter productive.

A Good Warm Up

The key to a good warm up is performing the minamal amount prior to your top set. This insures maximzize your top set.

Kenny Croxdale

Superfluous means surplus to requirements. I'd hardly call 15 minutes that.

The whole point of a warmup is to mobilize the joints, warm-up the muscles, get your heartrate up, and get your head straight. For me what i posted does all those things. Not only that, but putting dynamic flexibility work before every session has improved my lower back flexibility to the point where i can actually squat ATG without my lower back tucking under.

I've had back injuries in the past stemming from poor flexibility and a lack of warming up. I'm not going to repeat the same mistakes because Mark Rippetoe says i should do this or that. Mark Rippetoe has never met me.

Foam rolling, some dynamic flexibility, and one or two prehab things for problem areas has worked for me, hence why i'm passing that on.

My entire workout start to finish is 90 minutes. Thats a 15 minute warmup, 60 minute workout, and 15 minute foam roll and static stretch at the end. I'd hardly call that elongated.

To the OP - if your warmup is taking too long then maybe you need to look at the things that you need to do rather than the things you think you should be doing. If you have any flexibility issues work on them in the warmup for a few minutes, do a little foam rolling on any areas that are tight after the last workout, then do something to get your heartrate up like a few minutes of CV. Nothing wrong with that, it'll likely help, and you'll still have tonnes of time left.

You may aswell of been speaking in chinese there lol...

Foam rolling,shoulder disloctions (sounds painful) prehab exercise like YTA me no understaday hahaha bird dogs what the fuuuuuuck!!

Sorry if this was too technical for you.

"For my warmup i do stuff."

Better?

I usually over warm up and fatigue myself stopping me from going as heavy as I'd like

Don't do this.

Even with all the stuff i do this is never a problem. Maybe you need to work on conditioning. Warmup sets should always be submaximal in terms of load and volume.

Superfluous means surplus to requirements. I'd hardly call 15 minutes that.

It all depend on what you do with that 15 minutes.

Looking at your warm up...I am sticking with Superfluous

I've had back injuries in the past stemming from poor flexibility and a lack of warming up. I'm not going to repeat the same mistakes...

Therein lies my point. Due to your back injury, you are overly cautious.

If it help you mentally, stick with it.

My entire workout start to finish is 90 minutes. Thats a 15 minute warmup, 60minute workout, and 15 minute foam roll and static stretch at the end. I'd hardly call that elongated.

Then let's go back to Superfluous?

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
Hah, sure thing.

I'll stop staying injury free and increasing my flexibility immediately, sir. God forbid i'd hate to disappoint the internet.

Carry on!

Back