• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Waist

AZ123

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Is it true that bodybuilders do not really train the mid section since they want a tight small waist look ?
Also is it true that real heavy lifts like Squats and Dead lifts increase your waist size ?

So many myths and mistruths caught up in 2 simple questions. I'll attempt to tackle this one question at a time.

Is it true that bodybuilders do not really train the mid section since they want a tight small waist look ?
Many people will contend that heavy compound lifting is the only core exercise that some need (I sort of agree with this). Most core "isolation" is pointless, and mostly recruits the hip flexors anyhow. So, as long as bodybuilders continue to train with compound lifts, then yes, they are training their midsection.

Also is it true that real heavy lifts like Squats and Dead lifts increase your waist size ?
It is true that heavy squats and dead lifts will make your core stronger. These lifts require isometric contractions of the core in order to stabilize the load. If you were to rely on isometric contractions for hypertrophy in the rest of your body, you'd be pretty small.

Now, Poundstone has an interesting theory that people who rely on belts suffer greater distention because of always pushing your abs out against the belt. This is just a theory.. it makes sense, but there is more to it than that. Read this article from Kovacian to get more insight.

The Kovacian: Why Bodybuilders Get Distended Stomachs & How to Prevent It! - RX Muscle Mag

So many myths and mistruths caught up in 2 simple questions. I'll attempt to tackle this one question at a time.

Many people will contend that heavy compound lifting is the only core exercise that some need (I sort of agree with this). Most core "isolation" is pointless, and mostly recruits the hip flexors anyhow. So, as long as bodybuilders continue to train with compound lifts, then yes, they are training their midsection.

It is true that heavy squats and dead lifts will make your core stronger. These lifts require isometric contractions of the core in order to stabilize the load. If you were to rely on isometric contractions for hypertrophy in the rest of your body, you'd be pretty small.

Now, Poundstone has an interesting theory that people who rely on belts suffer greater distention because of always pushing your abs out against the belt. This is just a theory.. it makes sense, but there is more to it than that. Read this article from Kovacian to get more insight.

The Kovacian: Why Bodybuilders Get Distended Stomachs & How to Prevent It! - RX Muscle Mag

Ah...ok.
So even if I do not do things like sit ups etc I should be fine. As long as I have my diet, training (cardio etc) in check? The goal being bodybuilding look.

That was a very interesting article...
" I performed some heavy lifts regularly with no regard to keeping my abdominal wall tight, rather I let it out".
I have to experiment with that.
I know that even when I sprint I can feel my core tighten up
Thx

Compound exercises will train the core, possibly need to get the lower abs worked a little harder with some other compound core exercises specifically for this purpose.

Functionally, deadlifts and squats are great, but they stabilize in a small range - might be better to also do something that works outside of that range to get the obliques and the back working a little harder, and reduce the risk of injury?

Back