Men's Suits and Bodybuilding

McBain

Rep Points

Men's Suits and Bodybuilding

It's pretty hard to find suits and sport jackets that fit well these days. I've come to realize that suits in this country aren't made to fit anyone who takes exercise seriously.

There's room for as much (sometimes more) belly than chest, and I always find my shoulders pushing against the sides of the sleeves on what would be an otherwise perfect-fitting "slim" suit, so I'm forced to go up a size. I'm not IFBB material by any means, but I'm a little more built and at the same time a little leaner stomachwise than the average Joe, so it'd be nice to have a properly-fitting chest/back in a suit jacket with a proper waist (i.e. without a small fabric cavern of belly room in front to match).

So - where do you guys get suits to fit a more "athletic" build?
    Points for specific off-the-rack brands that I can pick up at the typical Bloomingdale's/Macy's/Saks.
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" -Jimi Hendrix
    Check out http://anabolicsteroidforums.com !

IDIOT POLICE

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by squigader View Post
    It's pretty hard to find suits and sport jackets that fit well these days. I've come to realize that suits in this country aren't made to fit anyone who takes exercise seriously.
    They aren't made to fit anyone period. There are a few nice brands (Hickey Freeman comes to mind), but you are looking at near 2K per suit. They will tailor it for you though. Most Brooks Brothers is Garbage (black label is nice, but again expensive and fits a certain body type). I no longer fit in my Loro Piana Brooks Brothers suit (I barely did to begin with). Most suits you buy at the department store are fused together with glue; pay more for a suit that will last 10-20 years.

All my suits are made to measure, sown with horse hair and materials that stretch and breath. My guy is out Oregon, but travels to Vancouver 3X per year. He travels to your neck of the woods too, wherever that is. I would never in a million years buy a suit off the rack again.

You you can get the same MTM suit for around $650 that $1,500 buys you off the rack. If you get bigger or smaller and need the suit adjusted, throw it in the mail, 2 weeks later you have a new suit. The guy will have your measurements, so whenever you need a few shirts or slacks...it's just a phone call.

Custom Tailors of Mens' Suits, Custom Shirts, Custom made Clothes, Bespoke Tailoring

You could also look into local tailors, some are competetive. Look for anyone named Luigi or Guiseppe...
    Last edited by vancouver; 01-11-2012 at 02:11 AM.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Custom suits are the way to go. Unless you're a jew
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.

.45 ACP rules!

Rep Points

Off the rack suits just leave more room for better concealed carry.

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Last time I bought a suit was almost 10 years ago. At the time, Men's Wearhouse carried a line that was made for more athletic men. No idea if they still carry them but, it's worth a shot.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by theCaptn' View Post
    Custom suits are the way to go. Unless you're a jew
    Fuck, left out again

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ALBOB View Post
    Last time I bought a suit was almost 10 years ago. At the time, Men's Wearhouse carried a line that was made for more athletic men. No idea if they still carry them but, it's worth a shot.
    that's where I get mine out. usually just have to get a little tailoring done and you are good to go.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

How A Suit Should Fit