• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Condolences to Steve Bechler`s family.

kuso

Um......get rooted!
Elite Member
Reaction score
What happened??? fill me in

Here`s one..................

Orioles' Bechler dies of heatstroke
Succumbs after falling ill during workout at training camp

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) Baltimore Orioles pitching prospect Steve Bechler died of heatstroke Monday, unable to recover from a spring training workout that sent his temperature to 42 C (108 F).

An autopsy will help determine whether Bechler had been taking the dietary supplement ephedrine, which has been linked to heatstroke and heart attacks.

Broward County medical examiner Dr. Joshua Perper acknowledged a published report that a bottle of a supplement containing ephedrine was found in Bechler's locker.

Regarding the bottle, Perper said: "My understanding is it exists, but we don't have it."

A workout Sunday left Bechler pale and dizzy, and when his condition worsened, he was carried from the clubhouse to an ambulance on a stretcher. He spent the night in intensive care and died at 10:10 a.m. Monday at Northridge Medical Center.

His wife, Kiley, due to deliver the couple's first child in April, was at his bedside. She and Bechler, 23, married last year.

William Goldiner, the Orioles' team physician, said Bechler died of "multi-organ failure due to heatstroke."

"He would rebound at times. They thought they were getting ahead of it, and then another organ system would fail," Goldiner said at a news conference at Fort Lauderdale Stadium.

Bechler, at 188 cm (6-2) and 108 kg (239 pounds), had battled weight trouble in the past. Asked about the pitcher's conditioning, manager Mike Hargrove was quoted as saying it was "not good."

The temperature at noon Sunday was 27 C (81 F) and the humidity was 74 percent, the National Weather Service said.

Goldiner said he wasn't aware of any evidence that Bechler had been taking a dietary supplement such as ephedrine, which has been banned by the NCAA and NFL but not by Major League Baseball. The Orioles' policy is to discourage the use of the amphetamine-like stimulant, he said.

"Weight-loss drugs are never prescribed by us," Goldiner said. "They're never condoned by us."

Orioles spokesman Bill Stetka said he could neither confirm nor deny a report by The Washington Times that a bottle of a supplement containing ephedrine was found in Bechler's locker.

"We'll cooperate in every way with the medical examiner's office," Stetka said. "Everything we find we'll turn over and apprise them of."

Perper said his medical examiner's office would begin an autopsy Tuesday, and that it could be two or three weeks before the final results are known.

Said baseball spokesman Rich Levin: "We're going to wait to find out more about what happened."

Funeral arrangements were pending.

A native of Medford, Ore., Bechler was a third-round draft pick by the Orioles in 1998.

"Steve was a tough guy; he was a competitor," Hargrove said. "I didn't know him that well, but I knew him well enough to know he loved the game and loved to compete."

Bechler made his major league debut last September, going 0-0 with a 13.50 ERA in three relief appearances.

He spent most of last season at Triple-A Rochester, going 6-11 with a 4.09 ERA in 24 starts. He had a 35-48 record in five minor league seasons.

Orioles players were briefed about Bechler's condition during a clubhouse meeting before Monday's workout. They were summoned inside a short while later and told of his death, and the rest of the day's training schedule was called off.

"They told us about the situation, and everybody was in shock," pitcher Rodrigo Lopez said.

Bechler fell down while running drills Sunday and Hargrove said he could tell Bechler wasn't feeling well toward the end of the run.

"He was about 60 percent of the way through it when we noticed that he was a little white-faced," Hargrove said. "He was leaning against a fence . . . which isn't unusual when guys get tired. We put him on a cart and brought him in and called the paramedics."

Bechler's parents did not learn of his death until they arrived in Miami on Monday, Orioles executive vice president Jim Beattie said. They had traveled from their Oregon home after Bechler fell ill.

Bechler's wife was driving from Oregon to Florida when she was reached by cell phone with the news her husband had been taken to the hospital. She took a flight from Salt Lake City on Sunday and arrived in Fort Lauderdale shortly before midnight.

sb20030219a2a.jpg
Baltimore Orioles pitcher Steve Bechler, 23, is driven off the field on a cart Sunday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after suffering from heat exhaustion. He died in a hospital on Monday

The Japan Times: Feb. 19, 2003

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getsp.pl5?sb20030219a2.htm

Oh, My god

That's a shame. There seem to be more than one contributing factors here. Sadly, young pros are under an extreme amount of pressure to perform. But that's another forum altogether.
I don't see how ephedra/ephedrine can be to blame entirely. Unfortunately, no discovery will repair the damage.

Today I heard on the radio that the autopsy report showed mutli-organ failure due to heatstroke. Ephedrine was mentioned but was NOT indicated as the cause of death. However, prepare for another round of "The Evils of Ephedrine" debate.

Originally posted by CaptainDeadlift
However, prepare for another round of "The Evils of Ephedrine" debate.

I agree with both you and DM!!

More out of curiosity than anything though, I just wondered exactly what product was found.

Most supp companies seem to have stopped its production anyway.

Originally posted by kuso
More out of curiosity than anything though, I just wondered exactly what product was found.

The report did not mention a specific product or brand, just the general term "diet pills".

Originally posted by CaptainDeadlift
The report did not mention a specific product or brand, just the general term "diet pills".

Thanks!!

I guess they are keeping it for the ( no doubt ) upcoming court case.

:(

Does anyone know exactly what the "product containing ephedrine" was?

It was Xenadrine. Discussion about it in the supplement forum.

Truly a sad loss. A young guy just starting out his major league career. :(

Thanks IAB.........though after skimming the artical I didn`t see Xenadrine mentioned.

I read it somehwere yesterday. In any case, check out today's ESPN article. It states that he took three pills every morning. It also states that he hadn't eaten much solid food for two days. Not good.

It is sad, yes, but I cannot STAND the way they make it out to be because of the ephedrine. We dont know what else he was tiaking, how much, or even what his overall health condition was. Things like this make it easier for the banning of supplements.

Ephedra's just the scapegoat. Focusing on a single aspect, in this case, 'product' keeps the public eye off of any other problems within the organization...or the bigger picture.

Originally posted by DaMayor
Ephedra's just the scapegoat. Focusing on a single aspect, in this case, 'product' keeps the public eye off of any other problems within the organization...or the bigger picture.

My thoughts exactly.

SC. U have some nerve the Guy has not been dead a week , ignorance or not, Its a human life that went away, and I am sure there are people out there that depended on that life

IML Gear Cream!
Easy MJ, he's right. So far all the blame is being put on ephedrine but it was ignorance in taking it that was the real cause. If people were a little more educated as to what they were taking and how to take it we wouldn't be having these problems.

Exactly MJ sorry to come across as an asshole but i'm not trying to. I truly do feel sorry for him and his family, no sarcasm there at all. But like someone said before "You don't ban cars for killing people do ya?" Just like ephedrine is going to be banned because of people who don't take proper precaution or time to educate themselves with these products.

I actually can say that i've felt like I was going to die after using ephedrine at the wrong time. I was paintballing one day and used AST EPH833 and had about 2 layers of clothing on plus all my gear and definitely wasn't drinking enough water compared to the rate I was dehydrating and it wasn't long before I was keeled over gasping for air about to puke. Here I was probably the most in shape person on the field but I had to sit out a few matches.

I know first hand how uncomfortable that feeling is and I can only imagine how uncomfortable his last hours on this earth must have been. So no I don't have a nerve I was simply explaining that you cannot blame the product you have to blame the person.

Let this be yet another painful lesson to anyone who cares less to educate themselves when using ephedra products.

I agree.. its just sad, no matter how you put they guy is dead and he was only 23

just to clarify my name is kristy buchanan i was steves cousin today i was just thinking about him and came across these post first of all steve was on a crash diet over 12 lousy lbs that his coach busted his balls daily about 2nd steve had no illneses he didnt have no illneses he was healthy 3 itwas xenadrine that he was taking and if you guys coulda only seen what he looked like it was sickening the dr said his insides melted wat ephedrine does is stores heat and wen he got dehydrated ephedrine wouldnt let his body realese the heat his body was on ice in a person with a fever as much ice they had him on they couldnt believe his fever in us we would have died of hypothermia that is what killed him no other drugs or hypertention

Back