• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Resistance Training and Abs

eskimo515

King of the Dog Freaks
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Until recently, I have been primarily doing various combinations of the following crunches (reverse, butterflies, leg lifts, regular crunches). I recently started adding resistance to my ab work (like standing cable crunches (title?), decline crunches with a barbell, etc). Is this a good idea? Will it make my abs protrude? Thoughts?

You can't spot reduce. The only way you will see your abs is by getting rid of the fat that is on top of them. This can be done by diet. ("Six pack abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym")

Resistance training will help strenghthen your abs and lower back. In my opinion I think it is a good idea. I always do my crunches while holding a dumbell or a medicine ball.

I do resistance training with my abs all the time and they aren't bulky. My stomach is smooth as a board.

Originally posted by P-funk
I do resistance training with my abs all the time and they aren't bulky. My stomach is smooth as a board.

Cool i was going to start adding weight to my ab routine but never did cause I figured the more weight you add to a muscle the bigger it will grow and I don't want bulky abs.Think i'm gonna try it now :thumb:

I use weight for ab exercises. I do have a little fat covering my midsection, but it doesn't hang over my belt. My midsection has got very 'blocky'. No V-taper here.

I use weight for ab exercises. I do have a little fat covering my midsection, but it doesn't hang over my belt. My midsection has got very 'blocky'. No V-taper here.

Is that bad? Are you saying you shouldn't use resistance? You can diet down to a v-taper. I can't figure out if your post is pro or con using resistance with ab training.

It is neither. I'm just saying that I'm not going for the v-taper, so I don't mind using weighted ab exercises. However, if you are looking for it, using weight may not be your best option because you're causing hypertrophy to that area. I suppose you could focus on widening the back and broadening the shoulders, but the muscle is only going to grow (naturally) so much.

widening the back and shoulders is the key.
it is all about preception.

IML Gear Cream!
How often do you guys train abs?

1-2 times a week usually. IF cutting 2-3 times a week. I know people who don't train abs at all until they are pre contest.

Originally posted by MeanCuts
Are your abs bulky?

If you mean, "are your abs big" then yes, they are 'bulky"
In fact, from a side profile, my upper abs stick out just as much as my chest but thats partly genetic as well.

Scotty,

What's your ab workout? I specifically am looking for resistance options for my lower abs.

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
If you mean, "are your abs big" then yes, they are 'bulky"
In fact, from a side profile, my upper abs stick out just as much as my chest but thats partly genetic as well.

:eek:

post a pic!

Everybody wants a friggin pic! :mad:

NO I'm to fat :(

You'll have to wait till I drop some BF, probably in a month or two. :)

Originally posted by eskimo515
Scotty,

What's your ab workout? I specifically am looking for resistance options for my lower abs.

Once a week I'll do:
Hanging leg raise 3 sets 10-15 reps
Cable crunches 3 sets 10-15 reps
Weighted decline crunches 25lb plate 3 sets 10-12 reps

The shape of your abs is genetic, and remember you can't spot reduce so if you can't see them, you need to lower your BF.

I can't see my abs really right now, although I've noticed they do look better than they used to. I used to not train them at all. As a result, I have a weak back. Also, it's difficult for me to do certain ab exercises. I'm starting to mix up my routine a bit and am going to start using resistance to build up ab strength. I know that diet is key to seeing abs, but if there really isn't a lot of muscle there to being with, then dieting will just make me look skinny, which is not what I want. SOOOO, I'm gonna eat like crazy (and healthy as possible) and try to kill my abs 2-3 times a week for a while and see what happens..:thumb:

I always believed that you should work your abs(even when bulking) because it makes your lower back strong which you need for heavy squats :thumb:

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Scotty the Body
Everybody wants a friggin pic! :mad:

NO I'm to fat :(

You'll have to wait till I drop some BF, probably in a month or two. :)

oh come on, everyone here has been "too fat" at one point or another. stop acting like a supermodel, post your pic. :lol:

I have trained my abs consistently (one-twice a week). But I have only been using resistance to train my abs in the last two weeks and I have already noticed a huge difference. They have always shown themselves (even with a small layer of fat). I'm sure it helps that I am going through a carb reduction now.

Originally posted by eskimo515
I have trained my abs consistently (one-twice a week). But I have only been using resistance to train my abs in the last two weeks and I have already noticed a huge difference. They have always shown themselves (even with a small layer of fat). I'm sure it helps that I am going through a carb reduction now.

Yeah that definetly is it your losing the fat around your abs:thumb: Have you ever tried and ab class? My class is a nonstop ab routine for 15 minutes works great for me and it's fast but painful :D

The abs classes at my gym are at strange times and I can never seem to make them. They are torture, though.

Back