NapsGear.net

Weird question

Thread: Weird question

Rep Points

Weird question

How do you guys log your sets in the gym if at all? Like do you keep track of the weight, reps..etc to see improvement from workout to workout? I just keep one of those black and white children's notebooks with me. It seems kind of archaic, but it does the trick.

Rep Points

I keep track in an email on my iphone. Everyone at the gym (who doesn't know me) thinks I am texting all the time. But I am actually logging my workout.

Rep Points

I forgot how much work it takes to get all organized to get back into the gym. Stoked!

Rep Points

i use one of those notebooks too! haha. but with my keys and water and towel it's such handful on the floor. grrrr.

thanks for the phone tip! def gonna try it!

Rep Points

i never worry about it, i just go to the gym and do my best ....progress comes from the fact that i am doing my best.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bjg View Post
    i never worry about it, i just go to the gym and do my best ....progress comes from the fact that i am doing my best.
    Exactly.....I think sometimes people make it too confusing. I just go in, lift as hard and as heavy as I can....I rest just long enough to get my breath and go again. I know which muscle groups that I want to work when I go in, but if someone is on the machine or the station that I want to hit, I'll just do something different.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by rangermike View Post
    Exactly.....I think sometimes people make it too confusing. I just go in, lift as hard and as heavy as I can....I rest just long enough to get my breath and go again. I know which muscle groups that I want to work when I go in, but if someone is on the machine or the station that I want to hit, I'll just do something different.

definitely ......
    keeping a log puts you in a stressful position..a workout is not an exact math homework.... it is fun you go by your gut feelings and you enjoy that is how you get results

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Nah, no log for me, too busy working out concentrating to sit down and keep writing stats, especially since I don't go in with a planned workout.
    ALL POSTS ARE ENTIRELY FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

I don't keep a log all year round, mostly during cycle/pct I'll track my W/O. I just keep a note book in my gym bag and fill it in sometime later that day.
    CLICK THE BANNER A VIP DISCOUNT IS ALSO AVAILABLE PM FOR DETAILS

Www.granabolicteam.com

Gettin it in
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I like to keep a log of big lifts- bench, sqaut, deads, etc. so next time ill know to start with higher weight to stay in the 6-8 range. I don't like going above 8, so if I hit 10 or above I know i should've picked up heavier weight. I usually just log it in notepad on my iphone, pretty easy.

"The P90X Dvd is great .... as a coaster for my drink or to spread mayo on my sandwiches."- Merkaba

Rep Points

I used to keep a fairly detailed log of every exercise, now I pretty much keep it to my progress on the big lifts. Personally, I think that it's very important to walk in to the gym with specific goals, and a notebook can help you keep track of those goals. You can specifically say, "I want to beat those reps from last week", or "beat the weight from last week."

Whether you are always working hard or not, progression is very important. There are a lot of variables that can affect feelings of exertion. I know that some days I go in to the gym and 225 for deads feels heavy, but my notebook tells me I'm shooting for 350. If I didn't have the book there, or I was a little tired, or couldn't remember what I did the week before, I might make a day out of 225, and that would get me no where.

Actually writing it down though, I just label my big lift then "poundsxreps" for each set. Right now it's all structured because I'm following the Juggernaut method, so it keeps things nice and easy for me.
    Orbit Nutrition Rep
    The best place for

Gettin it in
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by cork View Post
    i used to keep a fairly detailed log of every exercise, now i pretty much keep it to my progress on the big lifts. Personally, i think that it's very important to walk in to the gym with specific goals, and a notebook can help you keep track of those goals. You can specifically say, "i want to beat those reps from last week", or "beat the weight from last week."

whether you are always working hard or not, progression is very important. There are a lot of variables that can affect feelings of exertion. I know that some days i go in to the gym and 225 for deads feels heavy, but my notebook tells me i'm shooting for 350. If i didn't have the book there, or i was a little tired, or couldn't remember what i did the week before, i might make a day out of 225, and that would get me no where.

Actually writing it down though, i just label my big lift then "poundsxreps" for each set. Right now it's all structured because i'm following the juggernaut method, so it keeps things nice and easy for me.
    +1

"The P90X Dvd is great .... as a coaster for my drink or to spread mayo on my sandwiches."- Merkaba

Fueled by Testosterone

Rep Points

I always log everything. I will also note if something abnormal occurs like I have to adjust because of injury or feeling like shit. I also note when I get a PR.
    The only time it's bad to feel the burn is when you're peeing...

CowPimp Likes Iron - My Journal
    1RM Videos

Rep Points

Great stuff everyone. Either I'm OCD or my memory sucks, so I just write everything down to gauge my progress.

Rep Points

I log the exercise< weight< then the reps i get per set. I put foot notes on the side like to watch form next time, maintain weight and reps, raise weight, ect.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

I log all my shit here.. and I keep the last workout up on my phone when I'm lifting, that way I can't pussy out, or if I'm gassed early, I know its due to some change in stimulus
    all your peptide needs: http://www.labpe.com

for a 10% discount use Code IMCgrant

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron View Post
    Rats need to get hammered too...
    [/CENTER]

Back from the grave.
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Agreed. I log it all here. I don't carry a phone, so I print out last week's workout & take it with me to the gym.

When I get home, I copy-paste from last week, and simply change the #s. Easy peasy. Plus I get to keep up on whatever's going on in here while I'm at it. =)
    Used to.. DL:375lb, Sqt:335lb, Bnch:260lb
    Now... Weak as a kitten, but fighting back.
    Age:38. Trained 11/06-12/09. Feet surgeries & hip problems:12/09-12/11. Fighting back:12/11+. New Training Journal and Food Log.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlave View Post
    How do you guys log your sets in the gym if at all? Like do you keep track of the weight, reps..etc to see improvement from workout to workout? I just keep one of those black and white children's notebooks with me. It seems kind of archaic, but it does the trick.
    I lift the weight til i can't anymore

Rep Points

i like the idea of using your phone for logs thanks for the tip

Rep Points

I log everything. I log all my lifts. How I'm feeling when I get to the gym. If something hurts/isn't right. I always look at my last week before so I know where I should be at. It's not a planned work out every week but it is about my big three and then I note where my weakness is and work around that. Knowing where I have to go to get better every week helps motivate me. Sometimes it's nice to look back at where I was a year ago and see how far I've come. Great motivation and makes for a killer workout.

I also keep what setting the machines should be on. I hate using one leg extension machine and having to remember what settings i'm on. Just one of those little pet peeves of mine.

Rep Points

I record nothing, ever. But I have a great memory for things like remembering my weight for exercises and rep ranges.
    To speak before you think is like wiping your ass before you shit!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlave View Post
    It has been very productive for me to log sets, reps, overall volume, rest periods, and rated perception of effort along with tempo (to see total time under tension for sets). Its fairly easy to set up a excel spread sheet and input the data from a training log. Over several mesocycles and macrocycles you can see total volume/load for extended periods of time. This analysis helps to actually see the amount of overall volume your body bests adapts to. It also helps determine what is ineffective and weaknesses that need to be addressed. Over time if your body is adapting the overall load/volume should increase from year to year.