• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Latin America (not Mexico) looks at western fiscal crisis and sees it's own past.

bandaidwoman

inadvertant tree hugger
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I always get incredulous looks when I tell people I am engaged in investments in that region...I borrowed this article from another thread where the conservative investor like me is into investments in that region... my brother and I bought tons of shares in Petroleo Brasileiro S.A. many years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/28/wo...ic-crises.html

*snip*

"
For many months now, Latin Americans have been monitoring the constant drumbeat of crises in developed countries with bewilderment, irony and, yes, even a bit of schadenfreude. To them, Europe and the United States are displaying problems once associated with their region, which, not long ago, was a perennial champion in financial crises and bailouts.

“The mood on the streets of Paris is depressing, with people clearly worried about the future,” said Maria Cristina Terra, a Brazilian economist who moved to France four years ago and was back here this month to conduct research. “It’s a shock to all of us who saw Europe as solid and prosperous, but the contrast with Brazil is immense.”

In 2011, Latin America’s unemployment rate fell to a 21-year low of 6.8 percent, compared with 8.5 percent in the United States and nearly 10 percent in Europe. While economic growth has slowed in some countries, it is still booming in others. Panama, whose canal is choked to capacity, registered economic growth of 10.5 percent in the first nine months of 2011. Argentina’s economy expanded 9.3 percent in the third quarter.

Nowhere is the new mood more evident than in Brazil, which recently passed Britain as the world’s sixth-largest economy. Despite some recent economic weakness, Brazil’s unemployment rate is at a historic low of 4.7 percent. Veja, a leading newsmagazine, celebrated in a cover story this month the creation of new millionaires at a rate of 19 a day. By some measures, São Paulo’s financial sector is the envy of Wall Street: The market value of one bank, Itaú, now exceeds those of Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley combined.

All of this is still hard for some people in Brazil to absorb. But these days, so many increasingly affluent Brazilians are traveling abroad that they see the contrasts with their own eyes.
*snip*

My brother travels there a lot for his business ( he unlike me, speaks spanish fluently and brazilians understand spanish even though they speak portugese ). Not everyone south of the US looks like a mexican and lives in a dirt hut.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the article, Bandaidwoman.

I'll reat the entire things. And good on your and your brother for you investing.

they are moving away from neo-liberal economic policies as they have seen the end results of extreme income inequality, trade imbalances, currency devaluation, etc. many latin country's have seen major decreases in crime as wages have been brought up for those at the bottom. surprisingly many problems can be alleviated and/or reduced when you use logic and history vs ideologies.

My brother travels there a lot for his business ( he unlike me, speaks spanish fluently and brazilians understand spanish even though they speak portugese ). Not everyone south of the US looks like a mexican and lives in a dirt hut.....

:roflmao: try telling that to Mr DOMS, he has a distorted picture even though he has never stepped foot outside his bubble.

:roflmao: try telling that to Mr DOMS, he has a distorted picture even though he has never stepped foot outside his bubble.

I have been outside the US, chewie.

I don't think that all of Central and South America are the same low standard. Brazil, Cuba, and Costa Rica come to mind as decent places south of the US.

You're from Guatamala right? Nice mass murder of women you have there. It's a shame you lost the murder capital of the world title to Mexican, but don't worry, you still have 42 murders per week in Guatemala City. Oh, and enjoy that poverty.

Not to mention that corruption in Central and South America is on levels that US politicians can only dream of.

doms is right, not all of latin america can be painted with the same brush, but perhaps we can learn from them as Lams bought up???

I have been outside the US, chewie.

I don't think that all of Central and South America are the same low standard. Brazil, Cuba, and Costa Rica come to mind as decent places south of the US.

You're from Guatamala right? Nice mass murder of women you have there. It's a shame you lost the murder capital of the world title to Mexican, but don't worry, you still have 42 murders per week in Guatemala City. Oh, and enjoy that poverty.

Not to mention that corruption in Central and South America is on levels that US politicians can only dream of.

Whats wrong bud did I push the wrong button? lol

Im from the island in the caribbean you call, Puerto Rico.

Does that make me a american chewie? >>>>

I have the privilege to owe my own business in america while enjoying life in the caribbean or other parts of the world , sweet huh?

I agree with the corruption part in South America, its ridiculous. You can buy almost anyone off if you have the right amount.

PS. Cuba is only nice to the tourists who come to visit, the people of cuba are not allow to enjoy parts of their nice beaches, because is only reserved for the tourists. Maybe you guys can pull off a afghanistan on cuba and invade that shit and set it free from the commies. Only if there was oil, I can only dream :daydream:

I will be going to Vieques, Puerto rico in october to kayak the largest bioluminscent bay with my family! My brother bought a beach house there, cheaper than a moderately priced mcmansion in Conyers, Georgia off the parkway.....I like going there since I don't need a passport or change currency and compared to the british virgin islands, vieques is just as beautiful and half the cost......

I will be going to Vieques, Puerto rico in october to kayak the largest bioluminscent bay with my family! My brother bought a beach house there, cheaper than a moderately priced mcmansion in Conyers, Georgia off the parkway.....I like going there since I don't need a passport or change currency and compared to the british virgin islands, vieques is just as beautiful and half the cost......

I'm the exact opposite. my family has had a condo in the VI since the 80's, I know those islands like the back of my hand along with a lot of the locals. PR is nice but I haven't been there since the mid 90's when new san juan was still on it's way up and it was still a little sketchy. I need to get back down there and check it out.

doms is right, not all of latin america can be painted with the same brush, but perhaps we can learn from them as Lams bought up???
Your wrong about all you said:coffee:

IML Gear Cream!
Whats wrong bud did I push the wrong button? lol

Have we met? You threw down, I picked it up. It's kind of what I do. :shrug:

Im from the island in the caribbean you call, Puerto Rico.

Does that make me a american chewie? >>>>

Egads, you are an American chewie. PR is pretty good for a Mexican country. However, you're facing the same problem as America proper: immigrants from Central and South America.

I have the privilege to owe my own business in america while enjoying life in the caribbean or other parts of the world , sweet huh?

What sort of business?

I agree with the corruption part in South America, its ridiculous. You can buy almost anyone off if you have the right amount.

Most people have no idea. The level of corruption is astounding.

PS. Cuba is only nice to the tourists who come to visit, the people of cuba are not allow to enjoy parts of their nice beaches, because is only reserved for the tourists.

The reason for this is based in the Soviet-era Cuba. They didn't want the locals to be effected by the West. Now it's about making sure the locals don't screw up the tourist trade.

Maybe you guys can pull off a afghanistan on cuba and invade that shit and set it free from the commies. Only if there was oil, I can only dream :daydream:

Why? They're doing okay on their own. :bulb:

Have we met? You threw down, I picked it up. It's kind of what I do. :shrug:

Egads, you are an American chewie. PR is pretty good for a Mexican country. However, you're facing the same problem as America proper: immigrants from Central and South America.

What sort of business?

Most people have no idea. The level of corruption is astounding.

The reason for this is based in the Soviet-era Cuba. They didn't want the locals to be effected by the West. Now it's about making sure the locals don't screw up the tourist trade.

Why? They're doing okay on their own. :bulb:
American chewie:roflmao:

I guess being just an american isn't good enough for chico:coffee:

Back