IronMagLabs.com

Im new here!

Thread: Im new here!

Rep Points

Im new here!

Im new here and just wanted to say I...I have a question ...I have been always been a runner, but due to me and my motorcyle hitting the road, I really cant run like i used to. So i took up lifting weights about 13 weights...I have really gained some muscle, suprisingly...However, i noticed i gained a little other weight, I have been doing all that a "lifter" is sopposed to, with protein, and eating etc. I started taking creatine, could that be whats making me feel heavier ? I do 15 minutes of the stair master 4 times a week before lifting, and run only 3 miles the other two days. I used to run 5 miles aday....I dont want to give up lifting I love it, can i do more cardio? Help?

Rep Points

what are your goals? get muscular? get leaner than you are? ripped? also your age and how many times you lift and run a week would help us help you. also check out the sponsors for fat burners

best shit money can buy! ^^

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Michele, muscle weighs more than fat,creatine adds water to your muscles,which means weight,you know what food does,and less cardio, you do the math.
    Maybe a little more cardio will help.

BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

If you were a distance runner, what you ate mattered - you were fueling higher carb for energy reserves to have something to burn. If you haven't changed anything in your diet, you may be finding that you're not consuming all of the carbs that you used to use for running. Further, if you weren't eating enough carbs, runners typically are more 'skinny fat' than lean - not that they are literally fat, but rather they have a lower proportion of lean muscle mass - - more specifically, running tends to consume all your readily available energy sources, and when your body runs out of that, it starts to go after the lean muscle mass as well. So again, if you're changing your body's fuel consumption, you are probably seeing it reflected in more lean muscle mass gained, less lean muscle mass being consumed for fuel, and as mentioned above, lean muscle weighs more than fat. So you're technically seeing a body recomposition, and not necessarily "getting fatter" w/ the change in weight.

If it makes you more comfortable (and the point of a successful 'lifestyle' - diet & training - is to do what you enjoy doing), you can add in more cardio to maybe find a happy medium between the running activity you did before & the lifting activity you do now. You can easily add some HIIT sessions or steady state - whatever you enjoy doing & doesn't aggravate any existing injuries.

I think the more important thing is to get to your goal - but your goals need to match up to what you are doing. Its not a bad thing that your weight is changing, as I mention above- your body is reflecting the change in your lifestyle. You might look at what you are eating, if you tend to consume a large proportion of carbs. Otherwise, don't feel like you need to make big changes to force your body back to the weight you had before. I might suggest you look more at how your clothes fit. You can see nearly no change on the scale, or even a small increase while your bodyfat % drops -- this would be the reverse of what we typically see in distance runners - since your lean muscle mass proportion would be increasing, it can make the bodyfat% (which is a ratio of lean muscle mass to bodyfat mass) drop. My guess is you should be noticing your clothes fit looser in those areas where we normally carry bodyfat, and possibly getting tighter where the major muscles are - e.g. quads, shoulders, arms.

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Rep Points

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    If you were a distance runner, what you ate mattered - you were fueling higher carb for energy reserves to have something to burn. If you haven't changed anything in your diet, you may be finding that you're not consuming all of the carbs that you used to use for running. Further, if you weren't eating enough carbs, runners typically are more 'skinny fat' than lean - not that they are literally fat, but rather they have a lower proportion of lean muscle mass - - more specifically, running tends to consume all your readily available energy sources, and when your body runs out of that, it starts to go after the lean muscle mass as well. So again, if you're changing your body's fuel consumption, you are probably seeing it reflected in more lean muscle mass gained, less lean muscle mass being consumed for fuel, and as mentioned above, lean muscle weighs more than fat. So you're technically seeing a body recomposition, and not necessarily "getting fatter" w/ the change in weight.

If it makes you more comfortable (and the point of a successful 'lifestyle' - diet & training - is to do what you enjoy doing), you can add in more cardio to maybe find a happy medium between the running activity you did before & the lifting activity you do now. You can easily add some HIIT sessions or steady state - whatever you enjoy doing & doesn't aggravate any existing injuries.

I think the more important thing is to get to your goal - but your goals need to match up to what you are doing. Its not a bad thing that your weight is changing, as I mention above- your body is reflecting the change in your lifestyle. You might look at what you are eating, if you tend to consume a large proportion of carbs. Otherwise, don't feel like you need to make big changes to force your body back to the weight you had before. I might suggest you look more at how your clothes fit. You can see nearly no change on the scale, or even a small increase while your bodyfat % drops -- this would be the reverse of what we typically see in distance runners - since your lean muscle mass proportion would be increasing, it can make the bodyfat% (which is a ratio of lean muscle mass to bodyfat mass) drop. My guess is you should be noticing your clothes fit looser in those areas where we normally carry bodyfat, and possibly getting tighter where the major muscles are - e.g. quads, shoulders, arms.
    yeah, i think you are correct , that i am gaining muscle, but losing fat, though i really did not have much fat.i was a gymnast growing up, and what is getting tight is of course my jeans at the legs and butt...i have always had the potential to get big legs. Ill need to keep an eye on my food. Hey, you seem to really know alot about lifting. I prefer lifting now, because losing some of my ankle has really limited my running distance, so I am choosing this lifting thing. I love how lifting hard , makes me feel, i like the pain. I know what im doing is working to, because i cant believe how different i look after 13 weeks. I was thinking of trying Anavar? Any suggestions?michele

BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by michele205mmi View Post
    yeah, i think you are correct , that i am gaining muscle, but losing fat, though i really did not have much fat.i was a gymnast growing up, and what is getting tight is of course my jeans at the legs and butt...i have always had the potential to get big legs. Ill need to keep an eye on my food. Hey, you seem to really know alot about lifting. I prefer lifting now, because losing some of my ankle has really limited my running distance, so I am choosing this lifting thing. I love how lifting hard , makes me feel, i like the pain. I know what im doing is working to, because i cant believe how different i look after 13 weeks. I was thinking of trying Anavar? Any suggestions?michele

I started lifting in 1981, so yea, been at it a while.

I don't recommend screwing w/ steroids for a while. It doesn't sound like you need it if you've got good development from gymnastics. One of the beautiful things about the body is Muscle Memory. If you had it to begin with, it is usually pretty easy to get back.

IMO its better to spend some time learning how to lift & leveraging diet to get the results you want. These are the things that your body is designed to do and learning how to fuel your body for the results you want, and executing the energy demands for those results is what will let you optimize that.

Steroids are a whole other level of complication that are always only going to be a support to an already well-established & producing diet & training program. If you just started lifting, spend a few years doing it. No need for drugs.

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.