• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Anybody here find out they're an introvert?

http://blogs.wsj.com/accelerators/2014/03/13/elaine-wherry-networking-tips-for-wallflowers/

Elaine Wherry: Networking Tips for Wallflowers

As an engineer, it?s easy to hunker down and play the part of the mysterious and elusive super-coder who rarely peeks out from the screen?s glow. I?ve been there. As a technical entrepreneur, I happily divvied up responsibilities with my business co-founder so that anything requiring nametags or elevator pitches dropped off my to-do list. But a year or two later I realized, ?Woah, networking is important and whoops, I only have 49 connections on LinkedIn.?

The insight happened after months of cobbling together scripts to log Meebo?s usage stats. I needed to hire someone to do a better job, but at that time, it wasn?t a traditional position. My first job description for an ?Information Scientist? was so far off that I ended up with a handful of resumes for librarians. Subsequent tweaks attracted banking analysts and mathematicians. I needed to understand other organization?s data teams but my professional network was embarrassingly thin.

That was my wake-up call. Networking isn?t about drinking, self-promotion and agendas. It?s about a collection of weak connections to draw upon when you hit a professional wall. As a leader, it?s inevitable that you?ll no longer be the expert or have the time to learn on the fly. Your network becomes your primary source for talent, partnerships, mentorship (for yourself and your team), references and backchannel news. At some point, networking becomes an essential part of your job.

As a wallflower by nature, this wasn?t an easy lesson. I was an outsider decoding the unintuitive rules of networking. Here?s what I found surprising and helpful:

1. Just because you?re an introvert, doesn?t mean you can?t network. Introverts have networking advantages too. We ask great questions, we?re fantastic listeners, and we like making insights that others find valuable. Even though your last Myers-Briggs type or Buzzfeed quiz says you do your best work alone, you can still have great networking skills.

2. Connections gain value with time. If you had coffee with two people, one from five years ago and the other just a year ago, the connection that you made five years ago will be perceived as stronger, ?I can?t believe we?ve known each other for five years now! Wow, we go way back!? The earlier you start the networking clock, the better.

3. The easiest way for people to like and respect you is for you to like and respect them. Introverts shy away from networking for fear that they?ll make a bad impression. But introvert or extrovert, everyone?s fear is the same. Just showing genuine respect and interest in the other person is 99% of networking. If someone thinks you like them, they are far more likely to like you too.

4. Even if you have a friend who supposedly knows everyone, you still have to network. The most common misconception that I hear among introverts is that because they partnered with a business guy or they have a friend with a prominent alumni base, they don?t have to network. However, this discounts the value of second-degree connections (i.e. friends of friends). Your friend can introduce you to their connections but it?s harder for them to ask their friends to make further introductions on your behalf. If you?re hiring for technical roles, your business friend?s network is also less valuable too. At some point, you just have to build it on your own.

5. Don?t flee the first moment you feel drained. If you?re feeling low-energy, take a walk, get some water or break away from the group for five minutes. Don?t flee the first time you?re tired. It?s common to get a second wind after recharging.

6. Beware one-sided conversations. Introverts can ask great questions and often it?s easy to let the other person talk continuously with just a little peppering. However, if someone starts to ask you questions, you can?t give monosyllabic responses or continuously deflect. After divulging so freely, the other person is likely to feel like you haven?t reciprocated or that they?re being used.

7. Have a clear ask. At any given moment, it?s likely you have a problem or could use a second opinion. People genuinely want to help and small favors are one of the best ways real connections are made. If you?ve spent a few seconds thinking about a clear ask in advance, you?re more likely to find a valuable connection, and you?ll have something to talk about when there?s a conversation lull.

8. You can be too humble. The underselling and over-delivering method works as an engineer but it doesn?t work with networking. You have to get people energized about your project and problem so they are excited to potentially help you. It?s not bragging to tell someone that you think your company or idea has big potential; it?s a pre-requisite.

9. Don?t order room service. Attending conferences alone is tough, especially the first day. However, meals and breaks are when the most interesting conversations happen. You?re missing a huge opportunity if you?re eating alone or catching up on email during breaks. When I?m feeling stuck, I force myself to go to a center table or the center of the room where there?s the most activity. You get better at just hanging out by yourself for a few minutes and if you?re in the center of the group, it?s inevitable that you?ll find a group or that someone will say hi shortly.

10. Just show up. It?s hard to believe that just showing up builds and reinforces your network. People feel more comfortable talking with you if they?ve already seen you a few times, even if you haven?t exchanged any words. So even if you attend a networking event and you ignore tips 1-9, good news, you?re still making great progress.

Before I worked at networking, I was the wallflower folding and re-folding my cocktail napkin, scouring the room for anyone, anyone I might know, and wondering who actually likes these things. But networking is not a talent that you either do or don?t have. It?s a skill that is developed and if you don?t have a taste for it initially, you?re not doomed. With a little time and effort, you?ll be the last to leave though you?d only intended to stop by for a few minutes.

http://blogs.wsj.com/accelerators/2014/03/13/elaine-wherry-networking-tips-for-wallflowers/

Elaine Wherry: Networking Tips for Wallflowers

As an engineer, it?s easy to hunker down and play the part of the mysterious and elusive super-coder who rarely peeks out from the screen?s glow. I?ve been there. As a technical entrepreneur, I happily divvied up responsibilities with my business co-founder so that anything requiring nametags or elevator pitches dropped off my to-do list. But a year or two later I realized, ?Woah, networking is important and whoops, I only have 49 connections on LinkedIn.?

The insight happened after months of cobbling together scripts to log Meebo?s usage stats. I needed to hire someone to do a better job, but at that time, it wasn?t a traditional position. My first job description for an ?Information Scientist? was so far off that I ended up with a handful of resumes for librarians. Subsequent tweaks attracted banking analysts and mathematicians. I needed to understand other organization?s data teams but my professional network was embarrassingly thin.

That was my wake-up call. Networking isn?t about drinking, self-promotion and agendas. It?s about a collection of weak connections to draw upon when you hit a professional wall. As a leader, it?s inevitable that you?ll no longer be the expert or have the time to learn on the fly. Your network becomes your primary source for talent, partnerships, mentorship (for yourself and your team), references and backchannel news. At some point, networking becomes an essential part of your job.

As a wallflower by nature, this wasn?t an easy lesson. I was an outsider decoding the unintuitive rules of networking. Here?s what I found surprising and helpful:

1. Just because you?re an introvert, doesn?t mean you can?t network. Introverts have networking advantages too. We ask great questions, we?re fantastic listeners, and we like making insights that others find valuable. Even though your last Myers-Briggs type or Buzzfeed quiz says you do your best work alone, you can still have great networking skills.

2. Connections gain value with time. If you had coffee with two people, one from five years ago and the other just a year ago, the connection that you made five years ago will be perceived as stronger, ?I can?t believe we?ve known each other for five years now! Wow, we go way back!? The earlier you start the networking clock, the better.

3. The easiest way for people to like and respect you is for you to like and respect them. Introverts shy away from networking for fear that they?ll make a bad impression. But introvert or extrovert, everyone?s fear is the same. Just showing genuine respect and interest in the other person is 99% of networking. If someone thinks you like them, they are far more likely to like you too.

4. Even if you have a friend who supposedly knows everyone, you still have to network. The most common misconception that I hear among introverts is that because they partnered with a business guy or they have a friend with a prominent alumni base, they don?t have to network. However, this discounts the value of second-degree connections (i.e. friends of friends). Your friend can introduce you to their connections but it?s harder for them to ask their friends to make further introductions on your behalf. If you?re hiring for technical roles, your business friend?s network is also less valuable too. At some point, you just have to build it on your own.

5. Don?t flee the first moment you feel drained. If you?re feeling low-energy, take a walk, get some water or break away from the group for five minutes. Don?t flee the first time you?re tired. It?s common to get a second wind after recharging.

6. Beware one-sided conversations. Introverts can ask great questions and often it?s easy to let the other person talk continuously with just a little peppering. However, if someone starts to ask you questions, you can?t give monosyllabic responses or continuously deflect. After divulging so freely, the other person is likely to feel like you haven?t reciprocated or that they?re being used.

7. Have a clear ask. At any given moment, it?s likely you have a problem or could use a second opinion. People genuinely want to help and small favors are one of the best ways real connections are made. If you?ve spent a few seconds thinking about a clear ask in advance, you?re more likely to find a valuable connection, and you?ll have something to talk about when there?s a conversation lull.

8. You can be too humble. The underselling and over-delivering method works as an engineer but it doesn?t work with networking. You have to get people energized about your project and problem so they are excited to potentially help you. It?s not bragging to tell someone that you think your company or idea has big potential; it?s a pre-requisite.

9. Don?t order room service. Attending conferences alone is tough, especially the first day. However, meals and breaks are when the most interesting conversations happen. You?re missing a huge opportunity if you?re eating alone or catching up on email during breaks. When I?m feeling stuck, I force myself to go to a center table or the center of the room where there?s the most activity. You get better at just hanging out by yourself for a few minutes and if you?re in the center of the group, it?s inevitable that you?ll find a group or that someone will say hi shortly.

10. Just show up. It?s hard to believe that just showing up builds and reinforces your network. People feel more comfortable talking with you if they?ve already seen you a few times, even if you haven?t exchanged any words. So even if you attend a networking event and you ignore tips 1-9, good news, you?re still making great progress.

Before I worked at networking, I was the wallflower folding and re-folding my cocktail napkin, scouring the room for anyone, anyone I might know, and wondering who actually likes these things. But networking is not a talent that you either do or don?t have. It?s a skill that is developed and if you don?t have a taste for it initially, you?re not doomed. With a little time and effort, you?ll be the last to leave though you?d only intended to stop by for a few minutes.
I have a Linkdin account but have never really kept up with it. After reading your very well written seminar on networking, I realize I need to step up my game and get out of the "I feel safe zone".

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/u...US_EDI&utm_source=AMS_US_ENG&utm_medium=EM_NW

Eight tips for coping with interviews when you’re introverted or socially awkward

For all the rambunctious traders and suave relationship managers, the financial sector still relies on technical experts. Quants, technologists, actuaries and accountants – all are not known for their personality. However, expertise isn’t always enough to secure the job; you also need to convince individuals to hire you during the interview process – no easy task if you’re an introvert. Here’s how to ensure you do yourself justice.

1. Get the energy right

Introverts typically take 20-30 minutes before they start to “warm up” in an interview, according to John Lees, a careers coach and author of How to Get a Job You Love. This is no good, since most interviewers tend to make up their mind about the suitability of a candidate within the first two to three minutes – often before you even sit down for the formal questioning.

“It’s often less about what you actually say, because at the beginning it’s largely small talk anyway,” he says. “Speak slowly and calmly, but also remember to be warm and open – it’s about maintaining energy and enthusiasm in your voice and we always advise introverts to practice this.”

Simply personalising sentences, so you appear enthusiastic can do wonders, says Lees. For example: “I was very excited about being part of this project, the work really interested me.”

2. Exude confidence in your achievements

Talking openly about themselves, let alone shouting about their achievements in the workplace is an uncomfortable experience for introverts, who tend to remain reserved with their interactions with people until they know them better, says interview coach Margaret Buj. Put aside your reservations, the interview is the one time to really sell yourself.

“The mistake introverts often make is that they don’t talk about their tangible achievements and how good they are, as they feel uncomfortable about talking about themselves in glowing terms – this is very much out of their comfort zone,” she says. “Introverts can come across as not confident in their abilities as they don’t feel they are in control of the situation and as there’s a lot on the line, the fear of failure is even greater.”

Think of it less as boasting and more about stating facts, she advises. These facts just happen to make you look good.

3. Bear in mind cultural differences

Eye contact at the right time during interview shows that you’re both trust-worthy and confident in what you’re saying. However, how to behave in this situation varies from country to country and some cultural norms can be disconcerting to those who have had to deliberately practice their body language.

In the UK, interviewers tend to look at your mouth when you speak, according to a 2013 study published in the International Journal of Behavioural Development. In Japan it’s the norm to stare you intently in the eye and even follow your gaze when you look away, while Canadians have a tendency to look straight into your eyes as they explain their point. In Asia generally, it’s considered rude to look someone in the eye as they’re speaking. All worth bearing in mind.

4. Be honest with yourself

There will be interview questions that are practically guaranteed to come up in every interview, whether it’s questioning your motivation for joining a particular firm or walking someone through your CV. Practice these, and be honest with yourself if you’re coming across awkwardly.

“Prepare the content in bullet points of how you plan to answer common interview questions. Then practise with friends but also in front of the mirror on your own,” says Peter Harrison, a former Goldman Sachs executive director and founder of Harrison Careers. “It seems weird but it works. You notice your inadequate enthusiasm and awkwardness, and you take steps to fix it. After 20 minutes watching yourself flounder, you quickly realise how you need to sound and appear during interviews. Independent opinion isn’t enough – you need the mirror to see for yourself what you are doing wrong.”

5. Try not to internalise your thought processes

It’s natural for introverts to internalise, says Lees, which can often take too long and lead to some uncomfortable silences when a question has been asked. It’s fine to pause to get your thoughts in line, but don’t leave it too long – at least demonstrate verbally that you’re processing the answer even if that’s with space fillers like “That’s a good question” or “Let me just consider that for a moment”, he says.

6. Know what you’re getting into

It should be standard practice to research the firm, role and person you’re likely to encounter during the interview beforehand and will likely put you in good stead with the interviewer. However, this is doubly important for introverts, who should have prepared questions about the company, job and recruitment motivation as well as answers to expected questions, says Buj.

“Before the interview, outline how you will contribute to the company and help meet its goals – you want to be able to demonstrate how hiring you would benefit the company so ensure you have tangible examples prepared that demonstrate you have relevant experience,” she says.

7. Stay focused on the task at hand

Getting to that interview could have been a nightmare – the trains were late, you were soaked in torrential rain and you struggled to find the office location. Then, perhaps, the person interviewing you isn’t what you expected and the first few minutes don’t appear to be going well. Don’t over-analyse these situations – keep focused on the questions and answers and try to make the best of the scenario. Too often introverts can get caught up in their own thought-processes, which distracts them from the task at hand, says Lees.

8. Remember, you’re not the Wolf of Wall Street

The chances are that if you’re introverted you’re not up for a sales role or one that requires wooing clients. Don’t pretend to be something you’re not by aping what you think the interviewer wants to see – not all jobs require extroverts, the challenge here is to do yourself justice so simply ensure you’re answering the questions to the best of your ability and stop worrying about trying to dazzle the interviewer with your personality.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/why-introverts-might-be-better-at-networking-after-all/?FB_MPage

Why Introverts Might Be Better at Networking After All

Good networking is necessary to find business, advance your career, and grow professionally. Most people think you need to be an extrovert to be a great networker, but while being outgoing and gregarious may be helpful, it’s the introverts who have the real networking advantage.

The main difference of introverts versus extroverts is their reaction and engagement with other people. Being around people energizes extroverts, while introverts need more limited contact supported by alone time to re-energize. I myself was quite extroverted in my younger days. I thrived on parties and rarely wanted quiet time. At business events, I would attend every social and roundtable trying to meet everyone I could. I figured the more conversations I had, the more people I would collect.

As I approach my fourth decade in business, I find I value more the quiet time, thinking, strategizing, and filtering contacts. I introspectively ponder who among possible contacts will become the most amazing relationships where value is brought to all involved. It’s my introversion later in life that is driving better connections and larger results from my networking.

Here are five ways that introverts get networking right. You can implement the tips below at any age even if you’re a natural extrovert.

1. They Are Selective About Who They Talk To

Even though you may be able to learn something from everyone you meet, you don’t have time to speak to everyone in the world. Introverts may not make friends quickly, but they spend a lot of time observing the people around them.

So if they do take the trouble to engage, they have likely already determined that the person has something meaningful to say and some value to add.

Before you head out to glad hand at the next function, spend some time researching who will be at the venue. Target key figures to meet and engage. Be open to others, but focus your time on people who fit with your preferred future.

2. They Consider What Comes Out of Their Mouths

Heavy talkers miss out on so much in a networking environment. They may entertain with small talk and stories, but they also crowd out the opportunities for substantive conversations and connections.

Introverts don’t just talk for the sake of talking. True, they sometimes have trouble speaking up. But when they speak, it is with intent and purpose. And because they are slower to say what’s on their minds, they have had time to formulate a truly thoughtful, considered opinion.

So when they speak, their intelligence and expertise tends to show and attract other intelligent people.

The next time you see the small talk running, rather than join the chatter, plan for the right moment to make an impact with those who are interesting to you.

3. They Get to the Point

When networking, time is a valuable commodity. A single winding conversation can cause you to miss out on several brief relevant connections.

Some people assume that introverts don’t know how to converse; they’re too awkward or shy. That is largely untrue—they just value their own time and yours.

Because lengthy conversations and chit-chat drain their energy, they won’t linger at the punch bowl or regale you with roundabout stories. They say what needs to be said as it applies and then they move on.

Get good at communicating your value proposition or any other relevant information, in less than two minutes. Give others the chance to connect or move on.

4. They Give Others Time to Share

At their most tedious, networking events devolve into a room full of people frantically trying to sell themselves and listening to no one.

Because introverts are comfortable with silence, they are often better able to practice attentive listening. And they don’t mind when it takes someone else a few moments to collect their thoughts or explain a complex concept.

We all appreciate walking away from a conversation in which we feel we have been truly heard and understood.

Practice the arts of patience and listening. Others may not have your clarity or silver tongue, and you don’t want to miss the golden opportunity.

5. They Follow Up With Intent

Extroverts may do well spreading stories and collecting business cards, but if when they get home, they simply focus on the next party the business benefits from their networking will be lackluster.

Introverts thrill to the joy of following up with those who bring value and opportunity. When they choose to engage with someone, they will, at the right time and in the right way.

Next time you bring home that bounty of cards and email addresses, spend some quiet time thinking about how you and each person can bring each other value. Then craft a personal note that reminds them of why your contact was worthy of continuing in the first place.

I find that on gear, I am less introverted. Maybe psychological?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever since I was a kid, I really didn't like hanging out with a lot of people. I liked it when it was just one on one or maybe 3 or 4 in a group. People always thought I was shy and I guess I thought that too.

LOL ok so you didn't just suddenly find out, right? You knew this whole time. Take a Meyers-Briggs personality test, that will tell you plain as day. You should find something over 100 questions long and answer honestly, it seems hard to lie to those things unless you're completely faking it (what is the point of that I have no idea).

You don't "find out they're an introvert" my personality has been largely the same since I was young, I have been a deep thinker since I was just a few years old, I always knew that. But as I get older, I don't give a shit as much how people feel/think about me (I don't keep assholes as friends, its that simple really), so I don't have nearly as much issue with speaking. My timing though is still not always the best, in groups its sometimes hard to squeeze in words without simply talking over people. :shrug:

When I first moved out, I cooked, ate, went to the gym, and worked. I was in my 20s, girls looked at me, and still most of my time was spent just doing those things. I would change things if I could go back but perhaps like you that was just what I did, I did the things I loved doing but still did best with the aggressive girls who made sure to talk to me. I looked good and people noticed, aahhh dammit.

I find that on gear, I am less introverted. Maybe psychological?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmmm...testosterone might make you more extroverted to help you "breed". I guess that's nature's way of altering personality which makes me wonder if introverts have less testosterone than extroverts...

IML Gear Cream!
Not necessarily. I'm an introvert, INTP here. I've always had higher test levels. Jes' sayin'

Back