• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Opinion time!

D

david

IML Gear Cream!
Recipe For Obesity
MIAMI BEACH, Florida, March 8, 2003

Bulletin from the medical front: Eating fast food and sitting hours on end in front of the TV are really terrible for the waistline.

As obvious as this might sound, there actually is little firm scientific data to prove the point, especially against fast food. But now a large study released Saturday shows just how bad super-sized burgers and nonstop tube time can be for one's health.

"Fast food emphasizes primordial preferences for salt and fat," said researcher Mark Pereira. "This may promote overeating."

The project did turn up one surprise: While a lot of fast food is clearly bad for white people, it seems to make no difference at all for blacks.

The reason for this is unclear, but the researchers said the data suggest that black people's diets are often just as unhealthy at home as they are at the drive-through window. So a lot of fast food doesn't make matters any worse than they already are.

The analysis, conducted by Pereira of Boston's Children's Hospital, was based on a 15-year follow up of 2,027 whites and 1,726 blacks between ages 18 and 30 in Chicago; Minneapolis; Birmingham, Alabama; and Oakland, California. He presented the data at a meeting in Miami Beach of the American Heart Association.

The key findings:

-Whites who eat fast food twice or more a week have a 50 percent greater risk of obesity than do those who eat this way once or less.

-Their risk of abnormal glucose control, an inability to break down sugar efficiently that often foreshadows diabetes, is double.

-Whites who eat fast food more than twice a week and also spend at least 2½ hours a day watching television have triple the risk of both obesity and abnormal glucose control, compared to those who eat out once or less and watch no more than an hour and a half of TV.

"It's clearly the composition of fast food meals that we feel plays a role, with a lot of saturated fat and low quality carbohydrates, white bread and lots of soda," said Pereira. "And what you are not getting is also critical, including fiber and more healthful types of fats. It's a dietary pattern that is the opposite of what's recommended for health."

And of course, there are all those calories. A supersize fast food meal may exceed 1,600 calories, more than many people should eat in an entire day.

Many of the men and women in the study had fast food more than three times a week. Exactly what they ate didn't seem to matter much. Fries, burgers, breakfast sandwiches and nuggets all meant a greater risk of obesity.

Dr. Robert Eckel, director of clinical research at the University of Colorado, noted that the people studied are at unusually high risk of weight gain, since people pile up the most pounds between ages 25 and 34.

While the hazards of hyper-caloric meals and vegging out in front of the tube are clear, people who do these things probably have other bad habits, as well. "I suspect it relates to an overall lifestyle that is not conductive to good health," Eckel said.

Pereira said the lack of ill effect of fast food on young blacks was "very surprising." The reason may be that "blacks have a much poorer diet than whites, with less fiber and greater intake of soda," when they eat at home, "so blacks who don't eat much fast food still have a much poorer diet."

On the other hand, whites eating at home often appear to get reasonably healthy food, more like the menus recommended by the heart association and other health organizations.

In January, a federal judge in New York City threw out a class-action lawsuit blaming McDonald's food for obesity, diabetes and other health problems in children. He said this risk is common knowledge.

:haha: that's hilarious

here's my rant now. I'll make it short. Cigarrette advertisements have been removed from magazines and billboards etc., particularly Joe Camel because, supposedly, he attracted children. Yet we idolize that damn clown from macdonalds and allow his commercials to run during children programming. Obesity is also life threatening and has long term effects. Why exactly is lung cancer so much better than a heart attack? You die from both, shouldn't we be putting our mascots behind vegetables and fruits, foods that aren't going to kill our kids. Joe Camel (supposedly) told kids that it's ok to smoke, whereas Clowny McClown is telling kids that its ok to not eat healthy. Makes no sense to me, I doubt anyone will disagree that the McDonald's mascot has influenced probably millions more kids than has Joe Camel.

dunno, I'm white but I don't eat fast food but maybe once a month. I just thought that the way it distinguishes between white and black sounded funny

"the researchers said the data suggest that black people's diets are often just as unhealthy at home as they are at the drive-through window. So a lot of fast food doesn't make matters any worse than they already are."

This was brought up during this morning's broadcast on CNN. I found it bizarre how the anchor woman cruised right through the part about 'whites' being more effected than'blacks' in a matter of fact tone. What a joke. We've just figured out that fast food is bad for us.

*opens up Happy meal while watching "his shows" *

White people are fat and lazy, from watching too much t.v. and eating too much garbage. :no:

It's "the man" just trying to keep us down.:finger:

Originally posted by Crono1000 we idolize that damn clown from macdonalds

He's fun to laugh at but, idolize? I don't like mmafiter THAT much. :no:

Originally posted by DaMayor
We've just figured out that fast food is bad for us.

Are you serious? No fast food? First I learn I have to put flax in my shakes, next I can't eat instant oatmeal, now I have to quit eatting Whoppers to lose weight! What's next, no beer?
;)

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Seahawks51
What's next, no beer?
;)

You hush your mouth with your "no beer"!:eek2::finger:

I personally think Kentucky Fried Chicken should be exempt, I mean, it's freaking chicken! Nothing wrong with chicken right?:laugh:

Originally posted by DaMayor
Oh, okay....NINJA Honkey.....Is that what they call Canadians these days?:hehe:

Jes' a minute! I gots ta go brush my toof. My sister is comin' over and she sure is purdy!:eyebrow:

:laugh:

Originally posted by mmafiter
You hush your mouth with your "no beer"!:eek2::finger:

I personally think Kentucky Fried Chicken should be exempt, I mean, it's freaking chicken! Nothing wrong with chicken right?:laugh:

I read somewhere (probably on here and probably from you wife) that fried chicken and baked chicken are NO DIFFERENT nutrionally IF (huge IF) you don't eat the skin. I know that defeats the fun of KFC but....personally, Zaxby's is what I want exempted. Not sure if that is a local chain or not.

I'm not sure whether Zaxby's is a national deal or not. Ask Uncle ReamAss up there..:haha: We have one here in the great Metropolis.....damn them, bastardizing a good salad like that! :finger:

Originally posted by mmafiter
*opens up Happy meal while watching "his shows" *

White people are fat and lazy, from watching too much t.v. and eating too much garbage. :no:

It's "the man" just trying to keep us down.:finger:

You just made a reference to Mc'Donald's! :haha:

and that's the closest statement to the topic of the thread this whole time :no:

Back