• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

stupid statement??? - any imput appriciated.

British Bulldog

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
"Strength and wieght trainers do not need to consume extra protien to achieve good results".

A silly statement right?

Apparently not. I am in my second year of a degree in exersise science and the above statement is the one i have been given to discuss for a presentation which i have to give to my lecturers and fellow students as part of my assessment for this year.
As a bodybuilder i belive that extra protien is needed to achieve good results and i also belive that it is one of the most important factors to acieving muscle growth. But apparetly there are studys that suggest otherwise (i cant say ive ever seen any - but perhaps as a bodybuilder, ive been looking in all the wrong places).

I have to give the arguments from both sides and i was wondering if any of you guys know of any studys or articles which i could use for my research which could shed some light on either side of the argument. Also it would be interesting to hear your'e personal opinions.
I think the answer is obvious, but this is the statement i have to disscuss so im going to do it as best i can. Any imput, however small is most apprieciated. Thanks guys.

i will be sure to post any interesting reasearch findings in this forum as i go along. :thumb:

Extra compared to what? The RDA? What we're already taking as it is?

What is "the norm" that sentence is comparing against?

extra protien compared to the rda, yes, or consuming extra protien compared to just consuming extra calories.

Well the RDA is ridiculously low anyway. What is it, 36g a day or something stupid like that?

There's studies by Dr lemon on pubmed if you search under his name. It basically comes out that 0.8g/kg is what is ideal for sports persons (differs slightly between lifters and aerobics people but can't remember how), which is like 0.9g/lb, so rounding it up to 1g/lb is close enough.

There's some other guy you could look up, but i can't remember his name, sorry.

if you wanna show the RDA for it's total incompetance in almost anything, you should also refer to their ridiculous ideals for vitamin and mineral intake.

can you rember Dr Lemons first name or initial, its a mission trying to find him on pub med. thanks.

If you want to BUILD meat you need protein to make it, not much rocket science in that statement.

Don't let a barber tell you how to race cars, and dont let a TV repair man tell you how to change your diet around :)

"If you want to BUILD meat you need protein to make it, not much rocket science in that statement."

i know that as well as you do mudge, but i dont think that will be enough evidence to fill a 20 minute presentation. What im looking for is studies and articles on strength athletes protien requirements, why these requirements are as they are and the science behind the theorys. thanks to anyone who can help.

Yes there is science behind the fact that "athletes" have higher protein requiements than "non-athletes".

I am not using this as scientific support, more of an "expert opinion/statement":

"Weight training dramatically increases your body's need for protein. Muscle tissue is built from protein. Muscle is protein and protein is muscle. To build muscle you must supply an abundant amount of protein. Another thing that must be taken into consideration is the amount of muscle you have. The bigger you are the more protein you will need. " - Paul Delia

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by British Bulldog
can you rember Dr Lemons first name or initial, its a mission trying to find him on pub med. thanks.

Peter.

Originally posted by Twin Peak
Read this thread.

http://magazine.mindandmuscle.net/main.php?pageID=97

Not only are there tons of references and studies directly cited on point there are various discourses on protein needs generally and BCAA needs specifically.

thats an awesome thread. My head started hurting after the 2nd page, lol

Me too. I haven't read the last page yet. Good train reading material. I like that site because I feel so stupid.

yeah that site kicks ass. I almost never post on there because the people on there are so overwhelmingly smarter than me, but its awesome to just read and learn.

Thanks guys, much appriciated, some good info.
Twin peaks, can you remember the name of that thread and which forum its in as the link just seems to take me to the Avant Labs front page. Thanks.

BTW ive never seen that site before. It will be very helpfull to me, although it makes me feel like a thick head.

Its something like BCAA's ....

Probably in the General Questions or advanced discussion forums.

Back