SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

New study shows BMI is misses the mark on obesity

Study: BMI misses mark on obesity - Life Extension Daily News

Study: BMI misses mark on obesity

Misti Crane
    The Columbus Dispatch, Ohio

04-05-12

April 04--Many Americans, especially women, are obese but mistakenly think they're at a healthy weight because of major flaws in the body-mass-index formula, say the authors of a new study.

An analysis comparing the BMI to a blood test and body scan found that the BMI was wrong for half of women and 1 in 4 men.

It's commonly acknowledged that the BMI can produce inaccurate results for athletes and others with a lot of muscle mass. But this research illuminates a problem on the other end of the scale: people who think they're fine but are carrying a lot of fat and little muscle.

"Particularly in women, as they age, their muscles become inserted with fat, even though they stay thin and beautiful in a dress," said Dr. Eric Braverman, a New York physician who co-wrote the study with New York State Health Commissioner Nirav R. Shah. Their work was published in the journal PLoS ONE.

The researchers propose revisions to the cutoff for determining who is obese -- to a BMI of 24 or over for women and 28 or over for men, down from 30 or over for both. They also say that doctors should consider blood tests to measure leptin, a hormone that goes up with increased body fat, and DXA scans. The scans are commonly used to assess bone density but can be used to analyze body fat.

Experts agree that the BMI is imperfect but say it's a valuable tool to help guide doctors' conversations with their patients.

It boasts another big benefit: It's free. Scans can cost several hundred dollars, and leptin tests can be more than $100, said Dr. Patricia Choban, medical director of the bariatric-surgery program at Mount Carmel West hospital.

"You have to understand that BMI is an estimate of fatness, it's not a measure of fatness. But there are very few screening-tool estimates we have that are as simple to use," she said.

Carmen Swain, program director of Health and Exercise Science at Ohio State University, said some tests, including DXA scans and skin-fold measurements, do produce more-accurate results when done right. But BMI remains an easy and important tool, she said.

Swain has done research looking at BMI and body-fat percentage in boys and found a good correlation between the measure and actual body composition. There's little research on the reliability of BMI in adults, she said, and it's good that this study offers more insight.

Dr. Darrin Bright, who practices with OhioHealth's Sports Medicine Institute and MAX Sports Medicine, said the BMI "has its flaws; we've known it has flaws since we first started using it."

"It's a piece of the puzzle. It's a screening test," he said, "and we need to understand the limits of a screening test."

BMI should be a starting point for conversations between doctors and patients, Choban and Bright said.

"As a physician, I'm going to measure BMI, then I'm going to ask them about what their activity is," Choban said. "If you look at their fitness level, it's going to give you a pretty good clinical guess. Unfortunately, many people aren't even calculating BMIs."

Bright said he sometimes orders leptin tests, but he doesn't think they or DXA scans are practical for population-wide obesity screening.

Braverman said that as more of these tests are done, the price will come down. Leptin testing should be as routine as cholesterol tests, he said, calling BMI the "baloney mass index."

Even if the new cutoffs are used, the calculation still will miss many people who could have weight-related health problems because of their body fat, he said.

mcrane@dispatch.com

___

(c)2012 The Columbus Dispatch (Columbus, Ohio)

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Rep Points

As noted in the article, BMI is a tool used by health professionals that helps guide clinical diagnosis and decisions. Everyone knows it isn't perfect and it is used in conjunction with other tools, never by itself. This article doesn't really bring anything new to the table.

Swollen Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Back in the day in school they made all of us get a BMI. It was the biggest joke I've ever seen. Since then I've always taken those results with a grain of salt.
    Like people about as much as they like me. Never found a way to say fuck you politely.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJ View Post
    Back in the day in school they made all of us get a BMI. It was the biggest joke I've ever seen. Since then I've always taken those results with a grain of salt.
    As they should be.

Rep Points

BMI is about total body weight, not fat or muscle mass. Being big no matter where the weight comes from is just bad for you. You roid heads who think your BMI is healthy at 250lbs and 8% body fat are just retarded.

Being big = sooner death and more medical problems. It is just that simple.

BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

^^ Says the man w/ the big plate of meatballs in his sig!

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeForemanRules View Post
    BMI is about total body weight, not fat or muscle mass. Being big no matter where the weight comes from is just bad for you. You roid heads who think your BMI is healthy at 250lbs and 8% body fat are just retarded.

No, it isn't.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeForemanRules View Post

That actually has some truth to it unfortunately. The bigger you are the harder all of your organs have to work.

Even bigger dogs have a much shorter life span than smaller dogs, It's just biology.

CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

"baloney mass index."

Rep Points

New study shows BMI is misses the mark on obesity

Lmfao at bologna mass index!!

We get an insurance break through work for that BMi load of bs. I'm not even close to eligible because at 5' 6" I'm supposed to be 140lbs lmao. I guess I miss the mark at 180-185 and 10% bf. I eat quality lean foods all day with minima if anyl processed foods. Yet I'm labeled unhealthy. Meanwhile this other guy at work who slams energy drinks daily and eats almost only fast food is a model of health merely because he is 125 lbs.........fml.

AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

I do believe a higher bmi regardless of bf does contribute to health issues. Joint issues for one. Im sure ill take some flack on that though. Truth is, eating less according to science switches on dormant longevity genes. So eating 5k cals a day isnt going to contribute to a lengthy life. Then again, who wants to be a 90 yr old not big?

My bmi is currently 32-33 and i feel healthier at 30. But, i feel emotionally unhappy with a lower bmi because of my body dysmorphic disorder. i plan on bulking up to 34-35 bmi by fall and im sure ill feel like shit, yet be content because of my appearance.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/th...A-Summer-Blast
    All orders come with automated status updates, so you're never left wondering
    !
    Want a Discount? Current promo code:
    levram20for 20% off!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

= thnx sassy