How much fat and protein in Lean Ground Beef?

Another Arnold wannabe
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

How much fat and protein in Lean Ground Beef?

There's no label to tell me what the makeup is like. Anyone have an idea?

Rep Points

Does it give the lean %? ie....80%, 90%?
    Britney

Another Arnold wannabe
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It just says "lean" and another brand says "extra lean"

I could double check that when I get home though

Rep Points

Go with the extra lean, its prolly 93%= 8g F 21 P for 4 oz raw or 1/2c cooked. Lean is prolly 90%= 10G F 22P for 4oz raw or 1/2 c cooked....If you rinse it in hot water right after cooking, you can cut the fat almost in half
    Britney

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Britney...is that YOUR midsection...if so you look great

To answer the question it varies but based on my research lean means 15% fat and extra lean means 10% or less (Canadian regulations). You should be safe with generalizing at about 20 grams of protein per 3.5 oz or 100g serving.

You can dramatically reduce the fat by draining the beef after you cook it in a strainer.
    Searching for the right balance...

Rep Points

Originally posted by Fit Freak
    Yes, it WAS my midsection, pre "bulk." Got a bit to go on my cut, but will be there again.
    Thanks Fit Freak
    Britney

Un~Bulking
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I agree! Good work!

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Very impressive Brit...keep up the great work
    Searching for the right balance...

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Agreed, those are the best hips east of California!

Lean beef isn't unfortunately all that lean, lean sirloin which I haven't had in awhile was 22g protein and 17g fat, they measure by WEIGHT not by calories.

The turkey burgers I have are 28g protein and 7g fat! However they are all rather high in sodium.

Junior Hess

Rep Points

what about sliced deli roast beef? same? i dont know if its lean or not....ill switch to turkey for lunch instead.
    BULKING
    Weight:142lbs
    height:67"
    arms:13.5"
    deadlift-205X8
    lifting since Dec2002(115lbs)
    All is vanity
    my urine smells like tuna
    knifeknifeknifeknife

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Roast beef often has marbled fat within, but I have never looked at nutrition specs for it. Turkey though is pretty darn low in fat, as is chicken (depending what part you eat). Turkey though can be rather dry, so you may need to mix it with something to make it easier to eat.

Rep Points

Originally posted by Mudge
    Agreed, those are the best hips east of California!
    Thats alot of territory
    Britney

Bulking Up right now

Rep Points

Originally posted by Corri
    It just says "lean" and another brand says "extra lean"

I could double check that when I get home though
    For canadian Beef look that web site.

http://www.beefinfo.org/fr/all_pdf.cfm

Skinny Tattooed Guy

Rep Points

USA Meat Labels

"Lean"
    The USDA allows no more than 10 percent fat by weight in most foods that are labeled "lean." But the USDA allows ground beef that is up to 22.5 percent fat to be called "lean." For example: Albertson's, a supermarket chain with stores in 19 states, sells "lean" ground beef that is 20 percent fat.

"Percent lean"
    The USDA ordinarily allows claims like "85% percent lean" only on foods that are "low-fat" (no more than three grams of fat per serving). But the USDA allows "percent lean" on ground beef claims no matter how fatty the meat is. For example: At Kroger, the country's largest supermarket chain, the ground round is labeled "85 percent lean," even though a serving contains up to 14 grams of fat.

Other Source Explaining USA labels

Lean
    A meat, poultry, seafood, main dish or meal product which containsunder 10 grams fat, 4.5 grams saturated fat and 95 mg. cholesterol.

Extra-lean
    A meat, poultry, seafood, main dish or meal product which containsunder 5 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat and 95 mg. cholesterol.

Free
    Contains under: 5 calories; 5 mg. sodium; ½ gram sugar, fat orsaturated fat; 2 mg. cholesterol; and 2 g or less of saturated fat perserving.

Low
    Contains no more than: 40 calories; 140 mg. sodium; 3 grams fat; 1gram and 15% total calories saturated fat; 20 mg. cholesterol or lessper serving.

Reduced
    A nutritionally altered product contains 25% less of a nutrient (fat,sugar, cholesterol, sodium) or 25% fewer calories than a referencefood. LessContains 25% less of a nutrient or 25% fewer calories than areference food.

Light
    An altered product contains a fewer calories or 50% less fat perserving; if 50% or more of the calories come from fat, the reductionmust be 50% of the fat; the sodium content has been reduced by 50%.

You might look into ostrich -- it is 99% fat free and yummy (significantly better than 90% lean beef, IMO)

It can be found online for $5-6/lb

Rep Points

Originally posted by Par Deus
    You might look into ostrich -- it is 99% fat free and yummy (significantly better than 90% lean beef, IMO)

It can be found online for $5-6/lb
    I saw this when I bought Buffalo the other day but I was skeptical. Especially when it was my first time venturing into game meat. I'll have to try this next time, thanks

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Well Read
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have mentions this before but most grocers now offer Maverick Beef which is specifically bred for leanness. It is a bit more expensive but not outrageous. It is labeled 96% lean and taste quite good.
    "Doc, If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself..."

Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae.

We Americans scoff at the likes of African witch doctors yet spend 100's of millions of dollars on fake reducing systems.

The only regular exercise he gets is stretching the truth.

His intellect is not replenished, he is only an animal, only sensible in the duller parts...