• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

stretching

jimm

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
how many of you guys think it makes a difference i never stretch was speaking to sum insructer dude at the gym who tells me its very important and stretching before and after your workouts will help promote more muscle growth due to the muscle facia stretching creating more room for growth...

it seems to make sense but what do you guys think..

i pretty much never do any strecthing and just usually do a quick warm up set ot 2 before i smash it.

stretching makes a difference IMO, I sometimes stretch between sets, I get a better pump, and believe it helps in growth based on my experience. Try for yourself and see

I stretch afterwards. Stretching before doesn't really do any good, it can actually cause more harm than good since the muscle isn't warm. Afterwards is much better cause with the muscle pumped the stretching will cause more expansion of the fascia, leading to more room for growth. Its what the FST-7 system that a lot of the big name pros use is designed to do. A number of sets, usually 5-7, sometimes more or less, are performed quickly with little rest, usually 30-45 secs with stretching and flexing in between sets to promote stretching of the fascia. Even if you don't use a FST-7 type routine, stretching after you get done for a few minutes will do a lot to reduce DOMS and free up room for more growth, and who doesn't want that? :ohyeah:

Stretching cold isn't really going to get you much. An active warmup is better. You'll notice that stretching & warmup becomes much more important as you get older. I never used to do much consistently in terms of warmup or stretching, but in the last 5 years or so, it has made a huge difference (after I passed 40). I've developed systemically tight muscles that I have to fight hard to keep from locking up everything I do. Also over the years, your natural push/pull imbalances (e.g. if you are quad dominant or trap dominant and tend to pull a certain way, or have an injury that causes the secondary supporting muscles to start doing all the work - it all starts to show in up in ways that you have to consciously work to counteract because that's how your body will go if you don't.)

Anyway, I've worked w/ a bunch of different chiropractors and massage therapists, a few ART guys and trying icing, ultrasound (I even own a home unit), ibuprofen, taking time off, etc. If something is particularly bad, I'll spend the time w/ the chiro & massage therapist and icing. But I've found that including a short warmup before my workout goes a long way towards overall maintenance. I do my warmups per Joe DeFranco's Agile 8. DeFranco's Training ..:: The Ultimate Way To Become A Better Athlete ::..

And for that matter Joe DeFranco's ANYTHING - some great mobility stuff for hips and shoulders. Hips in particular, and I'd say particularly for guys. This affects your DLs and squats. If you have tight hips or limited ROM, this can then start forcing the pressure on your knees or on your back when you try to do something that the right joint can't accommodate.

I stretch afterwards. Stretching before doesn't really do any good, it can actually cause more harm than good since the muscle isn't warm. Afterwards is much better cause with the muscle pumped the stretching will cause more expansion of the fascia, leading to more room for growth. Its what the FST-7 system that a lot of the big name pros use is designed to do. A number of sets, usually 5-7, sometimes more or less, are performed quickly with little rest, usually 30-45 secs with stretching and flexing in between sets to promote stretching of the fascia. Even if you don't use a FST-7 type routine, stretching after you get done for a few minutes will do a lot to reduce DOMS and free up room for more growth, and who doesn't want that? :ohyeah:

i love DOMS lolo

thanks guys i will start to warmup and strecth after everyworkout.. i flex alot during wrkouts between sets, really squeeze the muscle i am workout out but never do any stretching afterwards :) back and bi's today

squueeeeze and stretch!

Stretching is a must, to echo everyone else. The amount of connective tissue in your hips alone would never allow you to squat proper depth if you don't stretch. Not to mention the amount of tension held in the shoulders during any upper body lift. If you do not stretch, you are asking for injuries and imbalances in your future. Sassy69 said it well. Dynamic warmup, foam roll, go lift, isometric stretch.

Static stretching is no longer recommended prior to exercise. It has never been proven to prevent injuries and it could possibly negatively affect strength and power if done before a workout or athletic event. Static stretching activates the muscle spindles and golgi tendon organs which in turn communicates w the CNS to tell the muscle to relax to prevent injury. This "relaxing" of the muscle prior to engaging in sports that require strength and explosiveness actually decreases performance.

3 things prevent an injury during exercise: proper warmup with dynamic movements, strong muscles, and flexible muscles. This is why static stretching should be done afterwards.

http://www.nsca-lift.org/HotTopic/download/Stretching Force Production.pdf

Current Concepts in Flexibility Training | NASM

Stretch after only. It's the proverbial cooler, "feminine" yin to the super masculine blow shit up fire workout yang. Even Dave Tate mentioned he wish he would've stretched more back in the day...or could have...or something to that effect.

how often do you see a cheetah stretch before it takes down a gazelle... :winkfinger:
personally i do mild warm up movements like the arm circle crap or weightless lifting to just get the blood flowing a little...
then i do some static stretching or flexing between sets... seems to help with the pump and just plain feels good

ballistic stretches in the beginning of your workout after a nice warm up and static stretches at the end with a little cool down IMO is the way to go.

ballistic stretches in the beginning of your workout after a nice warm up and static stretches at the end with a little cool down IMO is the way to go.

yep!

any good stretches for arms lol (noob question)

times holding stretches ect haha sorry about that one just wanted to ask :/

any good stretches for arms lol (noob question)

times holding stretches ect haha sorry about that one just wanted to ask :/

there are some good tricep and delt stretches, just do a search. shoot for 15-30 seconds, remember to breathe.

Back