NapsGear.net

belt for deads,squats & rows?

Junior Hess

Rep Points

belt for deads,squats & rows?

should i wear a weight belt for deadlifts, squats, T-Bar, bent-over BB, & longbar rows? my hipbones stick out abnormally too far as it is & ive heard that wearing a belt helps to prevent your obliques from becomeing too blocky. yet the whole point of deads is to build the lower back. will wearing a belt defeat the purpose of deads? which exercises should i wear a belt with?
    BULKING
    Weight:142lbs
    height:67"
    arms:13.5"
    deadlift-205X8
    lifting since Dec2002(115lbs)
    All is vanity
    my urine smells like tuna
    knifeknifeknifeknife

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

I'd only wear a belt for heavy lifts.
    Wearing it elsewise hinders the stabilizer muscles from working and growing, as the belt is doing the stabilizing for you.

It kills me tro see people wearing belts the whole workout...even for chest..WTF do you need a BACK belt for to work your chest??

I've tried using a belt for bb rows and such, it just seemed to get in the way, and provided no help.

I only use mine for heavy squats. That's just me
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

I'm Dead Sexxxxy!!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I only use them on my last lift for squats and also for SLDL, I see no point in using them for any type of rows.

It may be a good idea to use them for standing overhead press and I've seen people use them for HEAVY standing BB curls.
    Cool

Junior Hess

Rep Points

ok thanks
    BULKING
    deadlift-205X8
    All is vanity
    knifeknifeknifeknife

Junior Hess

Rep Points

Thumbs up

ya thats what i thought....just wanted to make sure. i dont have any back problems...its just that i dont want to develop them &/or increase the width of my midsection. ill skip it unless i start lifting RALLY heavy (im far from that)
    BULKING
    deadlift-205X8
    All is vanity
    knifeknifeknifeknife

Junior Hess

Rep Points

really*
    BULKING
    deadlift-205X8
    All is vanity
    knifeknifeknifeknife

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

Originally posted by shwaym
    ya thats what i thought....just wanted to make sure. i dont have any back problems...its just that i dont want to develop them &/or increase the width of my midsection. ill skip it unless i start lifting RALLY heavy (im far from that)
    don't worry abou the term 'heavy'.
    What may be heavy for you amy not be heavy for others or vice-versa.
    Heavy is the weight that you can control in good/perfect form for 4 - 6 reps...

good luck!
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

Rep Points

Originally posted by Burner02
    I'd only wear a belt for heavy lifts.
    Wearing it elsewise hinders the stabilizer muscles from working and growing, as the belt is doing the stabilizing for you.

There is NO research of value to support the 'fallacy' you just said. There has never been a research study where the used X-rays, CAT scans or MRIs where used inorder to show the difference in spine and stablizer muscles among bletless and none-beltless trainees. As a matter of fact there has been exactly the opposit of what you just said done. Research using EMG and muscle tension monitoring devices has shown that the use of belts can create circumstances for INCREASING rather than decreasing abdominal strength and stability.

Kc
    Http://www.FortifiedIron.com

RKM Training Solutions, LLC l Per Ferrum, as Astra-Mel Siff

Amor Fati

Rep Points

Originally posted by FortifiedIron
    There is NO research of value to support the 'fallacy' you just said. There has never been a research study where the used X-rays, CAT scans or MRIs where used inorder to show the difference in spine and stablizer muscles among bletless and none-beltless trainees. As a matter of fact there has been exactly the opposit of what you just said done. Research using EMG and muscle tension monitoring devices has shown that the use of belts can create circumstances for INCREASING rather than decreasing abdominal strength and stability.

Kc

"The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

Rep Points

Kc
    Really who's research?

Rep Points

You'll find all the reasearch you ineed from Chaffin and Andersson, "Occupational Biomechanics" and Zatsiorsky's spinal research in "Science and Practice of Strength Trianing."

Kc

Rep Points

You'll find all the reasearch you ineed from Chaffin and Andersson, "Occupational Biomechanics" and Zatsiorsky's spinal research in "Science and Practice of Strength Trianing."

Kc
    Link?

Rep Points

Originally posted by MeanCuts
    Link?

Buy the books.

Kc

Rep Points

Buy the books.

Kc
    I'll get right on that

Rep Points

Re: belt for deads,squats & rows?

Originally posted by shwaym
    should i wear a weight belt for deadlifts, squats, T-Bar, bent-over BB, & longbar rows? my hipbones stick out abnormally too far as it is & ive heard that wearing a belt helps to prevent your obliques from becomeing too blocky. yet the whole point of deads is to build the lower back. will wearing a belt defeat the purpose of deads? which exercises should i wear a belt with?
    I don't use weight belts never had any problems but I train my abs and obliques for core strength never had any lower back problems

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I believe in using a belt on heavy lifts, such as squats.

on a side note, I do not believe in using knee wraps.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

Why dont you believe in using knee wraps?

Kc

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Why dont you believe in using knee wraps?

Kc
    I did not feel like re-writing this, so here is Paul Cribb's answer:

The available research documents some detrimental side effects of using of heavy knee wraps, including damage to the chondromalacia patellae (the smooth lining of the knee cap) and wearing down and roughening of the posterior surface of the knee cap (patella). This is due to the fact that heavy, tight wrapping of the knees compresses the joint significantly and inhibits the natural mechanics of the patella gliding on the femoral grove.

One study has confirmed what bodybuilders and powerlifters already know – that knee wraps do improve lifting performance.* This study showed the improvement is due to the “spring” effect that knee wraps provide. Knee wraps do not stabilize or support the knee joint; they simply reduce the kinetic energy of the knee extensor muscles that work to extend the knee joint.

Despite what some bodybuilders may believe, using knee wraps to move more weight in an exercise is not an example of increasing overload.

In essence, knee wraps reduce the stimuli of maximal overload placed on the working muscle. Knee wraps do this by helping to do the mechanical work the muscles are supposed to do. Using knee wraps in the squat ensures you’ve got more weight on the bar across your spine, but this does not ensure the prime muscles responsible for the movement are effectively overloaded.

Whether or not knee wraps cause detrimental effects on the knee joint is debatable, but in terms of stimulating muscle growth, bodybuilders and other strength athletes are doing themselves a huge disservice by using them in their heavy sets during training.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

Is he speaking of the 'tight' use of wraps or the 'loose' fitting wraps?

Basicly what he is saying is that competitive powerlifting and olympic weightlifting is relyed on mechanical work rather then physical work.

Who is Pual Cribbs neways?

Kc

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

Kc
    well then, I stand corrected...old dog can learn new tricks!

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed