• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

belt for deads,squats & rows?

shwaym

Junior Hess
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
should i wear a weight belt for deadlifts, squats, T-Bar, bent-over BB, & longbar rows? my hipbones stick out abnormally too far as it is & ive heard that wearing a belt helps to prevent your obliques from becomeing too blocky. yet the whole point of deads is to build the lower back. will wearing a belt defeat the purpose of deads? which exercises should i wear a belt with?

I'd only wear a belt for heavy lifts.
Wearing it elsewise hinders the stabilizer muscles from working and growing, as the belt is doing the stabilizing for you.

It kills me tro see people wearing belts the whole workout...even for chest..WTF do you need a BACK belt for to work your chest??

I've tried using a belt for bb rows and such, it just seemed to get in the way, and provided no help.

I only use mine for heavy squats. That's just me

I only use them on my last lift for squats and also for SLDL, I see no point in using them for any type of rows.

It may be a good idea to use them for standing overhead press and I've seen people use them for HEAVY standing BB curls.

ok thanks

ya thats what i thought....just wanted to make sure. i dont have any back problems...its just that i dont want to develop them &/or increase the width of my midsection. ill skip it unless i start lifting RALLY heavy (im far from that)

really*

Originally posted by shwaym
ya thats what i thought....just wanted to make sure. i dont have any back problems...its just that i dont want to develop them &/or increase the width of my midsection. ill skip it unless i start lifting RALLY heavy (im far from that)

don't worry abou the term 'heavy'.
What may be heavy for you amy not be heavy for others or vice-versa.
Heavy is the weight that you can control in good/perfect form for 4 - 6 reps...

good luck!

Originally posted by Burner02
I'd only wear a belt for heavy lifts.
Wearing it elsewise hinders the stabilizer muscles from working and growing, as the belt is doing the stabilizing for you.

There is NO research of value to support the 'fallacy' you just said. There has never been a research study where the used X-rays, CAT scans or MRIs where used inorder to show the difference in spine and stablizer muscles among bletless and none-beltless trainees. As a matter of fact there has been exactly the opposit of what you just said done. Research using EMG and muscle tension monitoring devices has shown that the use of belts can create circumstances for INCREASING rather than decreasing abdominal strength and stability.

Kc

Originally posted by FortifiedIron
There is NO research of value to support the 'fallacy' you just said. There has never been a research study where the used X-rays, CAT scans or MRIs where used inorder to show the difference in spine and stablizer muscles among bletless and none-beltless trainees. As a matter of fact there has been exactly the opposit of what you just said done. Research using EMG and muscle tension monitoring devices has shown that the use of belts can create circumstances for INCREASING rather than decreasing abdominal strength and stability.

Kc

:thumb: :yes:

Kc

Really who's research?

IML Gear Cream!
You'll find all the reasearch you ineed from Chaffin and Andersson, "Occupational Biomechanics" and Zatsiorsky's spinal research in "Science and Practice of Strength Trianing."

Kc

You'll find all the reasearch you ineed from Chaffin and Andersson, "Occupational Biomechanics" and Zatsiorsky's spinal research in "Science and Practice of Strength Trianing."

Kc

Link?

Originally posted by shwaym
should i wear a weight belt for deadlifts, squats, T-Bar, bent-over BB, & longbar rows? my hipbones stick out abnormally too far as it is & ive heard that wearing a belt helps to prevent your obliques from becomeing too blocky. yet the whole point of deads is to build the lower back. will wearing a belt defeat the purpose of deads? which exercises should i wear a belt with?

I don't use weight belts never had any problems but I train my abs and obliques for core strength never had any lower back problems

Why dont you believe in using knee wraps?

Kc

I did not feel like re-writing this, so here is Paul Cribb's answer:

The available research documents some detrimental side effects of using of heavy knee wraps, including damage to the chondromalacia patellae (the smooth lining of the knee cap) and wearing down and roughening of the posterior surface of the knee cap (patella). This is due to the fact that heavy, tight wrapping of the knees compresses the joint significantly and inhibits the natural mechanics of the patella gliding on the femoral grove.

One study has confirmed what bodybuilders and powerlifters already know ??? that knee wraps do improve lifting performance.* This study showed the improvement is due to the ???spring??? effect that knee wraps provide. Knee wraps do not stabilize or support the knee joint; they simply reduce the kinetic energy of the knee extensor muscles that work to extend the knee joint.

Despite what some bodybuilders may believe, using knee wraps to move more weight in an exercise is not an example of increasing overload.

In essence, knee wraps reduce the stimuli of maximal overload placed on the working muscle. Knee wraps do this by helping to do the mechanical work the muscles are supposed to do. Using knee wraps in the squat ensures you???ve got more weight on the bar across your spine, but this does not ensure the prime muscles responsible for the movement are effectively overloaded.

Whether or not knee wraps cause detrimental effects on the knee joint is debatable, but in terms of stimulating muscle growth, bodybuilders and other strength athletes are doing themselves a huge disservice by using them in their heavy sets during training.

Is he speaking of the 'tight' use of wraps or the 'loose' fitting wraps?

Basicly what he is saying is that competitive powerlifting and olympic weightlifting is relyed on mechanical work rather then physical work.

Who is Pual Cribbs neways?

Kc

Kc

well then, I stand corrected...old dog can learn new tricks!

Back