IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Salary Laws?

Thread: Salary Laws?

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Question Salary Laws?

If an employee is paid by salary is it true that they get their full pay no matter what, even if they do not work?

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Hardcore Peptides 20% Discount Code: Robert20

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

are there circumstances?
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

yes, there was a snow storm and employees were unable to get to the office.

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

I would say yes, as it would be listed as an 'Act of God'..
    I may be wrong..I am not a lawyer..
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I am not a lawyer so...

I think it depends on your company policy and the state you live in.

I cannot imagine forcing employers to pay employees for time not work unless of course it is earned, like vacation. We give our personal time that is to cover their sick, vacation or whatever time.

Now, as a good-will measure we MAY pay them, but that would be b/c we wanted to not b/c we had too.
    My Carb Cycling Progress - you can't hide from the numbers.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I agree with Pepper...

My company is based in Fairfax, VA and I know they have a strict policy... if it snows or whatever and you can't get to work then you either use your general leave time or you don't get paid... SUCKS!!!

They were more understanding for 9/11 and the Columbia disaster...
    ~Ann
    We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open.
    -Harry Edwards

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I understand what you all are saying, but I was under the impression that by state labor laws a salaried employee gets paid their salary regardless.

I bike to work.

Rep Points

Originally posted by butterfly
    I agree with Pepper...

My company is based in Fairfax, VA and I know they have a strict policy... if it snows or whatever and you can't get to work then you either use your general leave time or you don't get paid... SUCKS!!!

They were more understanding for 9/11 and the Columbia disaster...
    That's what it should be. If they pay 40hrs/week, but expect you to work 60, they had better pay for the weeks where it was only 30hrs.

This company I worked for was gay like that (although I wasn't salaried). Anything < 40hrs was paid by the hour, and anything over 40 was just 40hrs pay, no matter what. Talk about an ass raping.

Rep Points

Re: Salary Laws?

Originally posted by Prince
    If an employee is paid by salary is it true that they get their full pay no matter what, even if they do not work?
    I'm pretty sure it depends on if they are exempt or non-exempt.

Non-exempt - No
    Exempt - Yes

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

yes, there was a snow storm and employees were unable to get to the office.
    A big-un!!!!
    Every place is different and each state has different laws. An-example..........For the City of Charlotte..........
    Everyone in Engineering is salary.............exempt or non exempt.
    Non Exempt gets over time over 40(me) because of my workload I may have to put in extra hours to get done.
    Exempt has to work 50 hours before overtime kicks in.
    They still do timebooks to keep up with hours worked because you have to work a minimum of 32 hrs.wk for full benifits. If we are out for weather we have to use vacation(sucks), so some just call in sick!

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Re: Re: Salary Laws?

Originally posted by Jodi
    I'm pretty sure it depends on if they are exempt or non-exempt.

Non-exempt - No
    Exempt - Yes
    I disagree. It may vary by state, but why would an employer have to pay someone for not working? Our snow days, when we know they are coming, we tell our people to make sure they have work to do at home or they have to use personal time.

Exempt vs non-exempt: I don't see the difference.

Rep Points

The reason I say that is because here in NH being an exempt employee you your hours vary. You could work 20 hours 1 week and 50 the next but for each week you still get paid your regular salary. It didn't matter how many hours I worked I still got my same salary week after week.

My experience being a non-Exempt employees is similiar to being hourly and I never got paid for anything.

I think someone else said it but it may vary state to state.

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition & supplement information presented on IronMagazineForums.com's pages is intended as an educational resource and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website. As well as any exercise technique or regimen, diet, supplement, etc., particularly if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are elderly or have chronic or recurring medical conditions. Discontinue any exercise that causes you pain or severe discomfort and consult a medical expert. The statements made about products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (U.S.). They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease. Please consult with your own physician or health care practitioner regarding the suggestions and recommendations made at IronMagazineForums.com. Neither the author of the information, nor the producer, nor distributors of such information make any warranty of any kind in regard to the content of the information presented on this website. Except as specifically stated on this site, neither IronMagazineForums.com, nor any of its authors or other representatives will be liable for damages arising out of, or in connection with the use of this site. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, loss of data, income or profit, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties. Sponsors pay for advertising space, we have no affiliation with the companies that have banners displayed on our websites. Please be advised it is your responsibility to check the laws that govern your country, state, or province in regards to items offered by some companies you may read about on this site.

EAST COAST BRAT
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Re: Salary Laws?

It's funny you say that bc/ I just brought that up in a meeting and they said, I'll get paid even if I don't come in?

Excellent!

However, if It's ongoing then, I'll either owe the hours or get fired!

Rep Points

In my job, if you are on salary, you can be a lil late or even leave later without docked time or overtime.
    If you are out, that counts against your vacation/sick days.

For the snow situation, if your facility is OPEN, then those employees should not be FORCED to come in(lawsuit reasons) but if they don't show, it should be counted against their personal days....However, if the establishment is closed, employees should eb paid since they were willing to work, but can't.

Am I making sense
    Britney

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I understand what you all are saying, but I was under the impression that by state labor laws a salaried employee gets paid their salary regardless.
    *Generally* this is true.

Same goes for working overtime, weekends, etc., you don't get it, if you are salaried, unless firm policy is otherwise.

Like all labor laws, it can vary state to state.

Rep Points

Alright, Prince, don't be a cheapie.......Just be safe and pay em

Britney

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by Britney
    In my job, if you are on salary, you can be a lil late or even leave later without docked time or overtime.
    If you are out, that counts against your vacation/sick days.

For the snow situation, if your facility is OPEN, then those employees should not be FORCED to come in(lawsuit reasons) but if they don't show, it should be counted against their personal days....However, if the establishment is closed, employees should eb paid since they were willing to work, but can't.

Am I making sense
    You are making sense! I think the exempt/non-exempt issue relates to overtime, not people just not showing. If the office is closed, that is different, but if they can't get there - personal time/vacation.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

You would have to living in a really pro-labor state to require an employer to pay regardless. It would be horribly unfair to an employer to force him/her to pay people when they are not working. Again, vacation/holidays are different, obviously.

The employer is not keeping you from working, why should he have to pay you?

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Originally posted by Pepper
    You would have to living in a really pro-labor state to require an employer to pay regardless. It would be horribly unfair to an employer to force him/her to pay people when they are not working. Again, vacation/holidays are different, obviously.

The employer is not keeping you from working, why should he have to pay you?
    Because, simply, that is the definition of being salaried.

You get paid X dollars per year whether you work more or less. Period. You (again generally) cannot be docked pay for leaving (even if for no good reason) coming in late, etc.

Of course, you can always be fired.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I suppose it could be calculated by days attended per month, but salary is how people work the hours they want, so in other words what exactly is working or not working?

If they aren't showing up, well that gets more complex I guess...

Rep Points

...anybody want to post the "Federal Fair Labor Laws" so I don't have to go into my back room and reach over all the crap to try to read them...lol

Years ago.....as a Business Manager dealing with a few salary and wrongful termination disputes (firms w/150 plus and then 113 emps), we ended up retaining a Labor Law Attorney....there are some situations were state laws are involved...and you should contact your States Dept of Labor...

DP