Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Syringe Filters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syringe Filters

BECAUSE I LOVE THIS SHIT!

Rep Points

Syringe Filters

Since there doesn't seem to be a "tried and true" way of bottle top filtration I have come to the conclusion that my next batch will be done with syringe filters. I only plan to make 50ml or so of prop and the same of tren a.

It would be helpful if we could discuss which filters work best as in Whatman or Millipore. I used Millipore last time and had 2 break while filtering 50ml and only ended up with 40ml. Yea, this pissed me off but it was my fault for using a 60ml syringe lol. I figure a 10ml syringe would have done better and not broke the filters.

Anyway what brand do you use and what size of syringe do you use?

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

why would you want to use a syringe filter instead of a stericup or flask set up? that seems tedious and pointless if your planning on making 100 ml of gear?? and planning on making gear in the future.
    I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.-buddah

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

I'm sure he has his reasons?

Make doesn't really make any difference IMO there both good as long as its .22 to sterilise all is good, and yes a 10ml syringe would be better.

Rep Points

I would make more gear say 100ml or so but I haven't found a way that seems like it is flawless. Also, all vacuum guns seem to be complete shit. I don't like buying things that I know won't last.

Most of the pvdf bottle top filters have 45mm threaded receiver flasks. From reading I've found that the two piece 45mm septa tops leak like hell. I don't really want to filter it then leave the top open while I draw the liquid out to fill vials.

It seems less of a pain in the ass to use a method that works rather than risk the final product being unsterile. I would go for it if anyone had the 45mm one piece setpa tops or another method of retrieving the oil from the receiving while keeping it sterile.

I'm open for suggestions as I didn't care much for the syringe filtering.

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

so you dont think its sterile cause it exposted to air for a short time? Then almost all UGL would not be sterile and people would be getting infections left an right. and then your pins after removing the wrapping would no longer be sterile and so on and so on. but if you want to use syringe filters thats fine your going to run into the same problem with all of them. they are going to clog and its going to take for ever. I would think most guys making there own gear use the "unsterile" meathod

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

You know what I mean, I would just rather be able to cap it after filtering. I know others agree with me on this. Can't be too careful when your injecting this deep into your muscle. So you just use a long ass needle to draw it all up after filtering or what?

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

im really not trying to flame you. I just want it to be easy for you. If you want to use syringe filters and it makes you feel safe you should do it. but i dont think your going to get an infection doing it the other way either and i appologize, i kind of hijacked your thread and took it in a different direction then you intended.

to answer you question I would use a 20 guage pin on a ten ml syringe(10 ml vilas) and yes put it through the top and draw it up. the syringe should come in a sterized package and should not contaminate you oil. i also have rubber gloves to wear while handleing the syringe. then stick it through the top of your vil and filler up.

but maybe some one has an answer to your question instead of telling you to go in a different direction.

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

I'm fine with doing it a different way. The syringe filter way is tedious and takes forever. I would like to just get a glass media bottle and use bottle top filters each time (I've read the plastic receivers fail easily.

So do you draw and fill all the vials with the same syringe? Do you cover up the receiving flask/media bottle in between drawing from it?

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

yes draw and fill with the same syringe. I only have one batch under my belt but i did not worry about covering it back up. Im not that worried about air born germs getting into it in the short time it takes to fill a vial. but yes you could do that.

I just know i am in this to make my own personal use stuff in large amounts and i feel like syringe filters are a waste of money and time. and most guys on here use stericups or flasks. I havent had a chance to use a my flask yet. but the stericup was fine. (My biggest deal now is on the oils to use people are talking about pesticides and shit)

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

Hmmmm well maybe I will give the bottle top filtration method a second look. I just would rather have it capped for filling. Maybe I'll find a way. Does the filter membrane material really have to be pvdf or can it be nalgene, pes, or something different? That would make it easier if you could use other membranes.

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by hill450 View Post
    Hmmmm well maybe I will give the bottle top filtration method a second look. I just would rather have it capped for filling. Maybe I'll find a way. Does the filter membrane material really have to be pvdf or can it be nalgene, pes, or something different? That would make it easier if you could use other membranes.
    I never put much thouhgt in to that I was just concerned with it being 22 um. Thats it. i think a saw a 20 um nylon one? if that helps. why do you want to use other membranes out of curiosity? cheaper? or what?

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

Different membranes come in different thread sizes. I can get a pes and nalgene member filters in 33mm thread sizes. So once its filtered I can cap it with a once piece 33mm septa top and just draw from that. It keeps everything sterile. Like I said, you can't be too safe.

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

I dont know never used those or even read about them. all i know is that a 22um filter is needed to sterylise gear solutions. I dont know how that would translate to a nalgene filter.

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

I just read that nalgene filters are actually PES membranes which filter oils really slowly.

Got this from testosterone nation: TESTOSTERONE NATION | Bottle Top Filtration Issues - Page 1

They talk about just back filling a 60ml syringe with the oil. I think I like this idea the best. This way you wouldnt need a septa cap and it would risk minimum exposure to air. The biggest bitch would be pouring it in without spilling but I'm sure it could be done those syringes are pretty big around.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Pvdf filtration is the way to go

Chemistry Experiment
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I have never had one problem with Whatman's and a 10ml syringe.

IronMagLabs 15% Off Coupon Code = heavyiron15
    International (outside the USA) Customers go to Orbitnutrition.com

Hardcore Peptides 20% Discount Code: HEAVY20

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by keith1569 View Post
    Pvdf filtration is the way to go
    Thats what I've gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron View Post
    Yea, I may be doing it this way. I don't know that I need to go bottle top just yet. Plus I can put up to 100ml through syringe filters I believe, or close to it.

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

You put 100+ Mls through a syringe filter and weren't thinking there has got to be a better way?

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

Not tried and true? Have fun with those syringe filters.....

If syringe filters were so good then there wouldn't be 500 post asking about other methods

5"10
    195lbs

Currently cycle:
    Cruising on 250mg Test Cyp/week.

Rep Points

I don't get why everyone thinks I love syringe filters lol I've used them once and it didn't go well. I want to use bottle top method but is it worth it when I can't use up that much gear in a year? I don't want to make a bunch and have it go bad on me or lose potency.

Chemistry Experiment
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyguy180 View Post
    You put 100+ Mls through a syringe filter and weren't thinking there has got to be a better way?
    I never stated filtering 100+ mls. You must have me confused with someone else.

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity.

Rep Points

I said I think you can get up to 100ml through one but didn't say I was going to.

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

I never stated filtering 100+ mls. You must have me confused with someone else.
    I know but the thread states he wants to filter 100 mls(50 test and 50 tren). That's why I was trying to get him to use something else. That is all. And your statement implied that that's not a big deal. Guess I was reading to much in between the lines.

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

Syringe filters are just the low end of filtering. They are labor intensive and the cost to filter a decent amount of oil will be equal to that of a bottle top but with 10x the effort.

This is why people are wondering why you would "want" to use syringe filter.

Myself like a few others are doing plenty of research in order to never use them again.

5"10
    195lbs

Currently cycle:
    Cruising on 250mg Test Cyp/week.

Rep Points

I don't plan to mix the prop and tren so why bother with using a bottle top filter for that small of an amount? I'm all for it but tough to say if I would use up 100mls of prop and 100mls of tren in one year ya know? Guess I could just make sure I did! Either way the only bottle top filters I see at research supply that are pvdf and can attach to a media bottle are 500ml. I'm sure as hell not going to use up 500ml in one year and I do not want to sell.

Just seems wasteful to me to even make 100ml with a 500ml filter not to mention 50-60ml yea know? Just throwing ideas around here I'm definitely in favor of bottle top filtering though.

Rep Points

Hey Hill, clear out your inbox. PM coming your way.
    Please do not PM me with questions, I will not PM you back.

Rep Points

I say go for it with a whatman. Worst case you learn a lesson and it could be a cheap one vs experimenting with the bottle top. Im thinking of doing a whatman for my first time as well. Have you looked at the caulking gun method?
    Please do not PM me with questions, I will not PM you back.

vv MINE!!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by hill450 View Post
    I don't plan to mix the prop and tren so why bother with using a bottle top filter for that small of an amount? I'm all for it but tough to say if I would use up 100mls of prop and 100mls of tren in one year ya know? Guess I could just make sure I did! Either way the only bottle top filters I see at research supply that are pvdf and can attach to a media bottle are 500ml. I'm sure as hell not going to use up 500ml in one year and I do not want to sell.

Just seems wasteful to me to even make 100ml with a 500ml filter not to mention 50-60ml yea know? Just throwing ideas around here I'm definitely in favor of bottle top filtering though.
    youll do fine with the syringe filter. and like I said in one of the above post, you should do what makes you comfortable.

AY's the bees knees

Rep Points

I've used syringe filters. It wouldn't have been bad if I hadn't of used such a big damn syringe lol don't make my mistake! Use a 10ml syringe and don't push too hard. I just sat around and watched movies and heated the syringe barrel in a heating bad from time to time. It didn't take too long even with that big of a syringe but I kept cracking the necks of the syringe filter. I'll probably use syringe filters again to save a little money right now, I just bought a Harley lol

Sorry superfast, I got my inbox cleared out!

Chemistry Experiment
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyguy180 View Post
    I know but the thread states he wants to filter 100 mls(50 test and 50 tren). That's why I was trying to get him to use something else. That is all. And your statement implied that that's not a big deal. Guess I was reading to much in between the lines.
    Ah, I see. I have never filtered more than 60ml at a time.

I actually prefer 40ml vials. They seem perfect for an end user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast