• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

BB row free weight bar or smith machine?

THEWIZARDOFKOZ

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
i was watching a video recently posted in one of the forums and saw a pro using smith machine for BB row. I just wanted to get others opinions if using smith machine was better than just using free weight bar.

Thanks

Barbell rows seem more impressive to me, but that doesn't answer your question.

:sorry:

Obviously, the free weight will allow for freer movement, more momentum, and therefore a heavier weight used than the Smith machine, but if you're shooting for a "mind-muscle connection" then form and feel would seem to take precedence.

Again, that probably doesn't answer your question.

Great thread starter. Hope you get a lot of feedback.

I do both. I tend to use smith when my back issues flare up and use lighter weights for mind muscle connection as curt said

wiz,

i tried smith machine a few times. the movement is just too weird for me. and you see these pros using smith after theyre already huge,not before

people bring up dorian yates using a smith machine,but he only started using it after he had become a pro

smith machine just isnt as healthy as using a barbell

i dont know about a mind muscle connection,but theyve done studies that prove barbell exercises cause greater stimulation than a smith machine,so to me that is all i need to hear

smith locks you pretty much in a straight line

could be uncomfortable on bb rows... you never want to use the smith exclusively for anything cause it can cause over use injuries and wear in tear due to the unnatural lack of curve to the rom

i think smith could be used to etch in details in specific smal areas but not so good as a power move

like my back is plenty wide but lacks all that cool stuff in the middle

^KOS is on the money. Smith is such a locked movement. You want to be able to change you rom. Some guys bring the bar up to their lower stomach, some to belly button, and others even higher. You need to figure out what works for you and what is comfortable to you. Barbell has always worked well for me.

smith locks you pretty much in a straight line

could be uncomfortable on bb rows... you never want to use the smith exclusively for anything cause it can cause over use injuries and wear in tear due to the unnatural lack of curve to the rom

i think smith could be used to etch in details in specific smal areas but not so good as a power move

like my back is plenty wide but lacks all that cool stuff in the middle

This is good info.

Sentences like this make me question strict bodybuilder training philosophy. The smith can etch in specific details? I'd love to hear the rationale behind that one.

BB rows will give you maximal recruitment because you will be using stabilizer muscles you never knew you had. So to answer the OP's question, the smith is better used melted down and turned into 45lb plates.

Sentences like this make me question strict bodybuilder training philosophy. The smith can etch in specific details? I'd love to hear the rationale behind that one.

BB rows will give you maximal recruitment because you will be using stabilizer muscles you never knew you had. So to answer the OP's question, the smith is better used melted down and turned into 45lb plates.

I generally try to avoid the smith machine, but it has some uses. If you don't have a spotter and like to go to failure, or do rest pauses it can be a safe way to do them.

IML Gear Cream!
both,variety is the spice of life....:coffee:

but on a side note free weights WIN every time! pow!

lmao :')

i have plenty of lat width

rhomboids and traps not so much

hey the back is the most complicated muscle in your body...in my opinion the only bodypart where angles can matter

ronnie coleman is the only guy i can think of who got all of his back development from simple bb rows and deads

Just think about all those poor smith machines out there. Those 45lb plates just hanging off of them, taunting them, saying "Hey look, people actually make gains off of me."

It's just not right.

Free the smith machine!!

And KOS, if you want to hit your traps and rhomboids, you should be doing overhand bb rows or chin ups. Even close grip cable rows would be good. I definitely agree with you that angles matter, that's why it's even more important to step away from the smith because the smith locks you into one single plane of motion... and it's surely not the best plane.

just think about all those poor smith machines out there. Those 45lb plates just hanging off of them, taunting them, saying "hey look, people actually make gains off of me."

it's just not right.

Free the smith machine!!

And kos, if you want to hit your traps and rhomboids, you should be doing overhand bb rows or chin ups. Even close grip cable rows would be good. I definitely agree with you that angles matter, that's why it's even more important to step away from the smith because the smith locks you into one single plane of motion... And it's surely not the best plane.

lots of different ways to skin a cat

i was listing options for the smith

the safety of it my encourage more angles than traditional bbrows since the form on those isnt the easiest to learn i think

i dont even use the smith very often and said no one should

you can argue with yourself about limb length and everyones biomechanics being the same

Google John meadows smith machine rows. Mountain dog style rest pause rows murder your back. Whole different feeling than regular

dont need a smith machine for safety

u can just bench,etch in power rack and adjust safeties

Back