500K lawsuit settlement for kids forced to eat lunch on New Jersey school floor.

Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Pushing The Limits


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    My Favorite Place
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Points
    184734304

    500K lawsuit settlement for kids forced to eat lunch on New Jersey school floor.






    $500,000 for New Jersey school kids forced to eat on floor - Yahoo! News

    (Reuters) - Seven students at a Camden, New Jersey, school forced to eat lunch on a gymnasium floor for two weeks as punishment won a $500,000 legal settlement, their attorney said on Tuesday.
    The 2008 incident involved fifth-grade students at the Charles Sumner Elementary School who were disciplined after one child spilled water as he tried to lift a jug onto a cooler, said the lawyer,Alan Schorr.
    The students filed a federal lawsuit against the Camden Board of Education, which agreed to the settlement, the attorney said.
    He said the incident took place against a backdrop of discord between the black and Hispanic populations in the impoverished southern New Jersey city. The children were Hispanic.
    Schorr said the vice principal, who was black, punished all 15 students in a bilingual class by making them eat off paper liners normally used on lunch trays. (While there were 15 students in the class, only seven sued.)
    "The African American kids were eating at tables, with trays, taunting these Hispanic kids who were forced to eat on the ground," Schorr said.
    The vice principal has since transferred.
    The children's teacher was fired after encouraging them to tell their parents about the punishment. The teacher won a $75,000 settlement earlier.
    Neither school officials nor their lawyers could be reached for comment.
    (Editing by Ellen Wulfhorst and Ciro Scotti)
    Nvrbdr is created 100% for entertainment purposes and should NOT be taken seriously. Steroid use is illegal without a prescription, always advise with your doctor

  2. #2
    .45 ACP rules!


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    I'm glad they won.
    If gunners were as violent as anti-gunners believe, logically there wouldn't be any anti-gunners left.

  3. #3
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,965
    Rep Points
    1106609942

    Holy shit! Good for them. That is degrading, and the teacher was fired for trying to alert their parents about what was going on. It sucks that the vice principal kept his job.

    When I was in high school, me and 3 other kids left school early. I got suspended for a day. The other three kids didn't, and it was because their parents went to the same church as the principal. One of the teachers thought it was bullshit and told my mom who then told my dad. Now, my dad was a fierce asshole, but he didn't fuck around when he thought someone was doing anything to the his family. That Friday, my dad had words with the principle at my football game. I have no idea what he said, but the following Monday, I was called to the office to talk with the principal. He apologized for his error and said my suspension was removed from my record. The last comment about hoping that he never has to see me again was suddenly more funny to me than it may have been intended.

    Long story short, fuck public schools.
    Fucking Determined!

  4. #4
    Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez
    LAM's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Las Vegas & Florida & St. Croix
    Posts
    16,355
    Rep Points
    962148245

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Long story short, fuck public schools.
    private schools are no better except for a lot more heavy drug users...
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Ichigo's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    15,955
    Rep Points
    1339674700

    Im glad for them, sucks the vice principle didn't get fired, they should have hammered his ass!
    Come on over we love to have you: www.anabolicsteroidforums.com


  6. #6
    Iron Mag Original
    ELITE MEMBER
    seyone's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    3,715
    Rep Points
    624940561

    This is why its so hard to find good teachers anymore.
    to be the man you have to beat the man.

  7. #7
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    The vice principal has since transferred.
    If he was white, he'd have been fired.


  8. #8
    Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez
    LAM's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Las Vegas & Florida & St. Croix
    Posts
    16,355
    Rep Points
    962148245

    Quote Originally Posted by seyone View Post
    This is why its so hard to find good teachers anymore.
    will be even harder in the future with the current attack on US teachers by the radical right. US teachers are already underpaid compared to their foreign counterparts. with the current dumbing down of US citizenry as a whole the ability for the US to compete in a global economy gets worst and worst as we move away from all the best practices observed in the OECD and recommended by the PISA.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

  9. #9
    Pushing The Limits


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    My Favorite Place
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Points
    184734304

    Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    private schools are no better except for a lot more heavy drug users...
    Inappropriate punishment and "heavy drug users" at private schools? not where I live...

    One kid spills water, 15 were punished, 7 sued, all with racial high tension at the core, there is more to this story. that sounds like BS

    The lawsuit is frivolous! I hope the lawyers take it all, the faculty involved should have been fired. This is one more reason kids laugh at authority, they know there is none. I wonder how many ineffective methods of punishment were tried before losing it, I wonder if the blacks were disciplined for taunting the mexicans while they ate on the floor?

    Good teachers are like gold! Rare and very valuable.
    Nvrbdr is created 100% for entertainment purposes and should NOT be taken seriously. Steroid use is illegal without a prescription, always advise with your doctor

  10. #10
    Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez
    LAM's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Las Vegas & Florida & St. Croix
    Posts
    16,355
    Rep Points
    962148245

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    Inappropriate punishment and "heavy drug users" at private schools? not where I live...
    odds are the private schools where you live are not in a high per capita household area because Vegas is the same way. the high income households here are less than the median household incomes in a lot of places. but in the north east where I grew up where the old money and blue bloods reside drugs are a plenty in public schools and saturated in the private schools where the filthy rich kids go. places like Villanova and Gladwyne the median household incomes are like $600K.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    $
    Posts
    20
    Rep Points
    -2786720

    I heard Jersey is the savage lands of America.

  12. #12
    Do Work
    secdrl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Points
    998046501

    Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    will be even harder in the future with the current attack on US teachers by the radical right. US teachers are already underpaid compared to their foreign counterparts. with the current dumbing down of US citizenry as a whole the ability for the US to compete in a global economy gets worst and worst as we move away from all the best practices observed in the OECD and recommended by the PISA.

    Whatever, bro. It's the Federal Government's Dept. of Education that has to go. They're a useless, money-sucking department that has no concern for the education of the nation's students. Abolish the department of education and leave education up to the individual states where policies and cirriculum can be implemented more appropriately and efficiently.

  13. #13
    Pushing The Limits


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    My Favorite Place
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Points
    184734304

    Quote Originally Posted by secdrl View Post
    Whatever, bro. It's the Federal Government's Dept. of Education that has to go. They're a useless, money-sucking department that has no concern for the education of the nation's students. Abolish the department of education and leave education up to the individual states where policies and cirriculum can be implemented more appropriately and efficiently.
    I dont trust the Federal gov invovlement in education, everything they do is bias one way or another, its too bad this ^^^will never happen
    Nvrbdr is created 100% for entertainment purposes and should NOT be taken seriously. Steroid use is illegal without a prescription, always advise with your doctor

  14. #14
    Do Work
    secdrl's Avatar


    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,233
    Rep Points
    998046501

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    I dont trust the Federal gov invovlement in education, everything they do is bias one way or another, its too bad this ^^^will never happen

    Enough of that! We'll just leave the policy talk to LAM.

  15. #15
    Regular user
    Gissurjon's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    in
    Posts
    1,307
    Rep Points
    159982929

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    Inappropriate punishment and "heavy drug users" at private schools? not where I live...

    One kid spills water, 15 were punished, 7 sued, all with racial high tension at the core, there is more to this story. that sounds like BS

    The lawsuit is frivolous! I hope the lawyers take it all, the faculty involved should have been fired. This is one more reason kids laugh at authority, they know there is none. I wonder how many ineffective methods of punishment were tried before losing it, I wonder if the blacks were disciplined for taunting the mexicans while they ate on the floor?

    Good teachers are like gold! Rare and very valuable.
    A law suit that goes through the system and is won, is by definition not frivolous.

  16. #16
    Pushing The Limits


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    My Favorite Place
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Points
    184734304

    Quote Originally Posted by Gissurjon View Post
    A law suit that goes through the system and is won, is by definition not frivolous.

    the lawsuit is frivolous and the settlement is absurd, I hope the lawyers take it all via billable hours and incidental expenses after they take their 40%. It sends a ridiculous message, one this generation exclusively needs less of.
    Nvrbdr is created 100% for entertainment purposes and should NOT be taken seriously. Steroid use is illegal without a prescription, always advise with your doctor

  17. #17
    .45 ACP rules!


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    Inappropriate punishment and "heavy drug users" at private schools? not where I live...

    One kid spills water, 15 were punished, 7 sued, all with racial high tension at the core, there is more to this story. that sounds like BS

    The lawsuit is frivolous! I hope the lawyers take it all, the faculty involved should have been fired. This is one more reason kids laugh at authority, they know there is none. I wonder how many ineffective methods of punishment were tried before losing it, I wonder if the blacks were disciplined for taunting the mexicans while they ate on the floor?

    Good teachers are like gold! Rare and very valuable.
    How is the lawsuit frivolous? Do you know all the facts in the case? Were you present during the hearings?
    If gunners were as violent as anti-gunners believe, logically there wouldn't be any anti-gunners left.

  18. #18
    Pushing The Limits


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    My Favorite Place
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Points
    184734304

    Here?s the deal in a nutshell:
    Taxpayers have to fork over cash because of the incompetence of an administrator who saw fit to punish a bunch of 5th graders who spilled water onto the floor of a school and were subsequently made to eat their lunch on the floor.
    The kids come away with a settlement of half a million while the school board reassigned the administrator instead of firing her.
    Do you think the administrator in this case should have been fired instead of reassigned?
    And how does this make you feel about additional monies being sent to the 31 school districts known as Abbott?s, in the wake of seemingly incompetent administrators being reassigned instead of being fired.
    The report states that:
    The (Camden) school board has agreed to pay $500,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by seven Hispanic students, who were made to eat lunch on the floor as punishment for spilling a jug of water.
    The board had previously settled with the students? teacher, Jose Rivera, who was fired after reporting the incident to the board of education.
    Rivera, who holds a teaching job in another district, was awarded $75,000.
    The administrator who imposed the punishment, Theresa Brown, was reassigned to another school.
    Brown, now a vice principal at Camden High School, could not be reached for comment.
    Members of the Hispanic community, including several then-members of the school board and city council, had called for Brown?s firing.
    According to the suit, the punishment occurred after a student in Rivera?s bilingual class ? overseen that day by a substitute teacher ? tried to change a jug of water in a water cooler and caused a spill.
    Brown then allegedly punished the class of about 15 Puerto Rican students by making them eat on the cafeteria floor, while other classes were seated at tables.
    Brown also threatened the students with additional punishment if they told anyone about the punishment, the lawsuit said.
    A review by the state Department of Education concluded Brown had forced students to eat on the floor as punishment for five consecutive days, but it said that was not a racist act.
    The DOE rejected Brown?s assertion that her decision reflected a lack of available seats and trays.
    The report said the students? punishment was a ?recurring practice? at Sumner due to the ?failures of the school administration and lunch room supervision.?
    So, again to review, in the wake of the DOE report that stated Brown?s assertion of a lack of seating in the cafeteria was boggy, she gets ?reassigned? instead of fired?
    And the district winds up paying.
    Again, YOUR tax dollars at work!
    All faculty involved should have been fired, the kids records expunged. End of story.
    Nvrbdr is created 100% for entertainment purposes and should NOT be taken seriously. Steroid use is illegal without a prescription, always advise with your doctor

  19. #19
    .45 ACP rules!


    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    Here?s the deal in a nutshell:
    Taxpayers have to fork over cash because of the incompetence of an administrator who saw fit to punish a bunch of 5th graders who spilled water onto the floor of a school and were subsequently made to eat their lunch on the floor.
    The kids come away with a settlement of half a million while the school board reassigned the administrator instead of firing her.
    Do you think the administrator in this case should have been fired instead of reassigned?
    And how does this make you feel about additional monies being sent to the 31 school districts known as Abbott?s, in the wake of seemingly incompetent administrators being reassigned instead of being fired.
    The report states that:
    The (Camden) school board has agreed to pay $500,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by seven Hispanic students, who were made to eat lunch on the floor as punishment for spilling a jug of water.
    The board had previously settled with the students? teacher, Jose Rivera, who was fired after reporting the incident to the board of education.
    Rivera, who holds a teaching job in another district, was awarded $75,000.
    The administrator who imposed the punishment, Theresa Brown, was reassigned to another school.
    Brown, now a vice principal at Camden High School, could not be reached for comment.
    Members of the Hispanic community, including several then-members of the school board and city council, had called for Brown?s firing.
    According to the suit, the punishment occurred after a student in Rivera?s bilingual class ? overseen that day by a substitute teacher ? tried to change a jug of water in a water cooler and caused a spill.
    Brown then allegedly punished the class of about 15 Puerto Rican students by making them eat on the cafeteria floor, while other classes were seated at tables.
    Brown also threatened the students with additional punishment if they told anyone about the punishment, the lawsuit said.
    A review by the state Department of Education concluded Brown had forced students to eat on the floor as punishment for five consecutive days, but it said that was not a racist act.
    The DOE rejected Brown?s assertion that her decision reflected a lack of available seats and trays.
    The report said the students? punishment was a ?recurring practice? at Sumner due to the ?failures of the school administration and lunch room supervision.?
    So, again to review, in the wake of the DOE report that stated Brown?s assertion of a lack of seating in the cafeteria was boggy, she gets ?reassigned? instead of fired?
    And the district winds up paying.
    Again, YOUR tax dollars at work!
    All faculty involved should have been fired, the kids records expunged. End of story.
    I completely agree with the last part.
    If gunners were as violent as anti-gunners believe, logically there wouldn't be any anti-gunners left.

  20. #20
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,965
    Rep Points
    1106609942

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    Here?s the deal in a nutshell:
    Taxpayers have to fork over cash because of the incompetence of an administrator who saw fit to punish a bunch of 5th graders who spilled water onto the floor of a school and were subsequently made to eat their lunch on the floor.
    The kids come away with a settlement of half a million while the school board reassigned the administrator instead of firing her.
    Do you think the administrator in this case should have been fired instead of reassigned?
    And how does this make you feel about additional monies being sent to the 31 school districts known as Abbott?s, in the wake of seemingly incompetent administrators being reassigned instead of being fired.
    The report states that:
    The (Camden) school board has agreed to pay $500,000 to settle a lawsuit brought by seven Hispanic students, who were made to eat lunch on the floor as punishment for spilling a jug of water.
    The board had previously settled with the students? teacher, Jose Rivera, who was fired after reporting the incident to the board of education.
    Rivera, who holds a teaching job in another district, was awarded $75,000.
    The administrator who imposed the punishment, Theresa Brown, was reassigned to another school.
    Brown, now a vice principal at Camden High School, could not be reached for comment.
    Members of the Hispanic community, including several then-members of the school board and city council, had called for Brown?s firing.
    According to the suit, the punishment occurred after a student in Rivera?s bilingual class ? overseen that day by a substitute teacher ? tried to change a jug of water in a water cooler and caused a spill.
    Brown then allegedly punished the class of about 15 Puerto Rican students by making them eat on the cafeteria floor, while other classes were seated at tables.
    Brown also threatened the students with additional punishment if they told anyone about the punishment, the lawsuit said.
    A review by the state Department of Education concluded Brown had forced students to eat on the floor as punishment for five consecutive days, but it said that was not a racist act.
    The DOE rejected Brown?s assertion that her decision reflected a lack of available seats and trays.
    The report said the students? punishment was a ?recurring practice? at Sumner due to the ?failures of the school administration and lunch room supervision.?
    So, again to review, in the wake of the DOE report that stated Brown?s assertion of a lack of seating in the cafeteria was boggy, she gets ?reassigned? instead of fired?
    And the district winds up paying.
    Again, YOUR tax dollars at work!
    All faculty involved should have been fired, the kids records expunged. End of story.
    It isn't that simple. What if you were poor and your kids were minority white kids at a predominantly black school, and a black principle made your kid eat on the floor because one person spilled water. What if all these happened while black and hispanic students laughed at your kid? I would hope you would be called to action, and sadly lawsuits seem to be the only way to fight these kinds of things. I am betting that nothing would have been done at all had it not been for the lawsuit.

    I say this is a situation where legal action worked. I think it sent a message. Not loud enough apparently, because the principle should have been fired, and has no place in education.
    Fucking Determined!

  21. #21
    Regular user
    Gissurjon's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    in
    Posts
    1,307
    Rep Points
    159982929

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyusa View Post
    the lawsuit is frivolous and the settlement is absurd, I hope the lawyers take it all via billable hours and incidental expenses after they take their 40%. It sends a ridiculous message, one this generation exclusively needs less of.
    Hey, a**hole, do you not understand English? A frivolous lawsuit is a lawsuit that is filed despite the fact that it has no legal merit. Now, if the lawsuit goes through the court system and is won, it can not be frivolous since it has been "deemed" to have merit, so much so THAT IT WAS F*****G WON. Can you understand that or are you completely frivolous when it comes to facts and understanding your f*****g language.

    here are some words you should look up the definition of

    Frivolous
    fair
    sensible
    dumbfuckwhothinksheknowsmorethanhedoes

  22. #22
    Regular user
    Gissurjon's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    in
    Posts
    1,307
    Rep Points
    159982929

    negged for gross ignorance of one's own language...

  23. #23
    Regular user
    Gissurjon's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    in
    Posts
    1,307
    Rep Points
    159982929






    wow, the system actually thanked me for "deducting points" from him, how hated is he??

Similar Threads

  1. Lunch options for school
    By Ark94 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 08:57 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 01:59 PM
  4. need help, lunch at school?!?!?
    By dontsurfonmytur in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 04:45 AM
  5. Rotten parenting - kids forced to deal
    By Mudge in forum Open Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
DISABLED END -->