Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Rep Points

Sesame Workshop Rips Obama's Big Bird Ad-orders Obama to stop

Obama campaign deploys Big Bird in new ad

By BETH FOUHY, AP
    4 hours ago

A person dressed as Big Bird holds a sign outside Republican presidential ca...

NEW YORK - President Barack Obama deployed Big Bird in a new campaign ad Tuesday mocking Mitt Romney's vow to end federal funding for public broadcasting. Romney's campaign dismissed it as an example of Obama being small-minded while the foundation behind Big Bird's program, "Sesame Street," asked that the ad be taken down.

The satirical spot, set to air on national broadcast and cable TV stations, shows images of convicted financiers, including Bernie Madoff and Enron's Ken Lay, and suggests Romney thinks Big Bird is behind their crimes.

"Only one man has the guts to speak his name," the ad says.

Romney said in last week's nationally televised debate with Obama that he liked Big Bird but would, if elected, end federal subsidies for the Public Broadcasting Service to help balance the budget. PBS airs "Sesame Street."

Obama seized on that comment the day after the debate and has used it every day since to poke at Romney.

"He'll get rid of regulations on Wall Street, but he's going to crack down on Sesame Street. Thank goodness somebody is finally cracking down on Big Bird," Obama joked at a campaign rally in Madison, Wis., the day after the debate, as his audience roared with laughter. "Who knew that he was responsible for all these deficits? Elmo has got to watch out."

But Sesame Workshop, which supports "Sesame Street," didn't see it as a laughing matter.

"Sesame Workshop is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization and we do not endorse candidates or participate in political campaigns," the organization said in a terse, two-sentence statement. "We have approved no campaign ads and, as is our general practice, have requested that the ad be taken down."

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt said the campaign was reviewing Sesame Workshop's concerns.
    Romney's campaign countered that the ad shows Obama is focusing on inconsequential matters rather than the urgent issues voters care about, like the economy and unemployment.

"Right now you've got 23 million Americans struggling to find work," spokesman Kevin Madden told reporters Tuesday. "I just find it troubling that the president's message, the president's focus 28 days from Election Day, is Big Bird."

PBS receives a portion of its funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which receives an annual appropriation from Congress. In 2012, CPB received $445 million in federal funding. PBS said in a news release after last week's presidential debate that public broadcasting receives about one one-hundredth of 1 percent of the federal budget.
    ___
    Associated Press writers Jim Kuhnhenn and Josh Lederman in Washington and Steve Peoples in Iowa contributed to this report.

IronMag Labs 15% Off Coupon Code = heavyiron15

milehigh15 coupon code for 15% off!

heavyiron15 for 15% off at IronMagResearch

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity.

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

I thought it was cute on SNL when Big Bird said they don't want to "ruffle any feathers." Absolutely see their point in not wanting to take a side.

At this point tho it's kinda like trying to put a fart back in your ass. BB has become part of this debate in illustrating the sheer idiocy of focusing on something so infinitesimally small like it will have an effect on the deficit.

you don't get what you wish for ~ you get what you work for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Also, Heavyiron is gay

Crimson Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Ask any one who is successful. You do not win by giving up inches. You win by taking an extra in and not giving up that inch and at the end of the game those inches add up. It can be with money, sports, or life. It is all the same. I judge my success of off this. While people have no value for change or dollars. I saved every cent I owed. Never said O i have a dollar, since I have it I will spend it. I put it into savings. In one year that change and dollars added up to 1000$ every year. Just by emptying my pockets every day. I would never spend a dime of my change. I am 28 right now and have 13,000$ just from saving pocket change. My dad got me into this habit he does the same thing.

So you say 445 million is a small % of what we owe. That small % over x amount of years and adding up all the other small % of stuff we spend adds up fast. I mean I saved up a down payment on a house, just by emptying my pockets each day and budgeting my money. Now keep in mind I saved over 50 % of most my income for a good part of my life as well. Not giving into things like car stereos and was smart with my money from day one. I owe zero money to any one with exception of a mortgage at 3.5%.

So tell me where spending money on things that are not vital is a good way to get out of debt. Every dollar counts when its finally added up. Maybe this is what broke people do not understand about money. You can not spend it on stupid shit if you want to make money.

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

if i overdrew my bank account by 100 $ then counting pennies might help. if i overdrew it by 16 TRILLION $... not so much.

Sancho

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Obama is fucked

Crimson Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
    if i overdrew my bank account by 100 $ then counting pennies might help. if i overdrew it by 16 TRILLION $... not so much.
    yes but counting millions is. When they give 445 million... You realize that there is what 330 million people in the US and they gave 445 million to public TV. That small percent has a bigger meaning now.

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

it was a well spent dollar. let's see what that same dollar gets us now. isn't going to mean shit when spending is still being done like daddy has a platinum card.

Crimson Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

lol Obama is the worst government spender. What are you talking about...Your predictions are based off a theory. You have no clue how Romney is going to run the country, so your ideological is ran off of pure ignorance. We all know how Obama would run this country off of facts. How he has failed, so any intelligent person would be able to put two and two together.

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

my theory is based on the kind of man Romney has shown himself to be.

a greed driven coward.

Crimson Rep
    BOARD REP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Clinton dodged the draft and your point....

Honestly i am completely against vietnam and as a vet hold no bad feelings for people who did dodge the draft. No one should EVER be forced to fight in war. As a actual war vet fighting in combat I personally would NEVER want the guy watching my back not being 100% invested in serving his country. So LW until you have personally fought in a war and understand what it is like and the emotions that are felt in combat your post is denied.