• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Your brain on food: Obesity, fasting and addiction

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Your brain on food: Obesity, fasting and addiction

We all know that what you eat can change your physical appearance. It also alters how your body functions, making it more or less difficult to pump blood, grow healthy bones or process insulin.

New research presented this week at the Neuroscience 2012 conference suggests that what you eat can even alter your brain ? and vice versa.

Timothy Verstynen and his colleagues used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to observe the brain activity in 29 adults. The study participants were shown words on a screen in various colors and asked to identify the color, not the word. Sometimes it was easy ? the word red printed in red; other times it was harder, like seeing the word red printed in blue.

The overweight and obese participants? brains showed more activity during difficult questions, suggesting they were working harder to get the same answers.
Verstynen said the results imply that obese people are less efficient at making complex decisions, which could be important for controlling impulse behavior.
His team theorizes that unhealthy eating choices can lead to disrupted brain connections that lead to weakened brain performance, which can lead to making more unhealthy choices.

In other words, it's a vicious cycle.

A second study, presented by Dr. Tony Goldstone, showed the brain?s orbitfrontal cortex may play a big role in how people make food choices. This area encodes the ?value? of a food, Goldstone said ? i.e. how rewarding or pleasurable it will be to eat.

Study participants were asked to fast overnight. In the morning they were given a breakfast of about 700 calories and shown photos of food while hooked up to an MRI machine. They were asked to fast again before another visit; the following morning they were not given breakfast and then shown the same photos.
The starving participants? orbitfrontal cortex?s were activated when they were shown photos of high-calorie food. Their reaction was less strong after they had eaten breakfast.

The research suggests fasting or dieting increases the brain?s desire for high-calorie food.
?That?s one of the reasons it?s so difficult to keep weight off,? Goldstone said.

The good news is that research is ongoing to find ways to block our brains? love of unhealthy food. Two studies presented at the conference analyzed the effect of medications designed to treat alcohol/drug addiction on rats? eating behaviors.

In one, researchers injected the addiction drug naltrexone into the prefrontal cortex ? the decision-making area of the brain ? to decrease junk food consumption in binge-eating rodents. The drug worked in the study, but more research is needed to see if and how this could apply to humans.

Its not love of unhealthy food its addiction to sugar. And the unhealhty food that makes us fat is sugar. Our bodies get addicted to it. But if you stop sugar for a few day's the cravings subside. It's a key the fat people need to know.

i didnt really get this but , i just know when my eating pattern goes off i feel like shit mentally and physically, when i think of it food is definatly a addiction for me... although a mandadtory nessity to live for humans when bodybuilding food is looked upon in a whole different way..

Derp

Interesting. Assuming it's all accurate, I wonder if it's obesity that leads to poor mental functioning or whether it's poor mental functioning (in the first place) that leads to obesity...

Back