• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Nutrition Gurus...Beans?

Fit Freak

Fit Freak
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I've noticed that no one really mentions beans and lentils as complex carb sourse. Most beans are low on the glycemic index and also low in fat while also supplying protein (although incomplete). Based on my assessment I am wondering why we're not recommending them as a slow burning carb source...especially with the high fiber and low GI rating. I know they're a little high in calories but the benefits are gr8...and from personal experience they rate high on the satiety index (keep me feeling full).

Comments please....especially from all the nutrition gurus out there...

I've seen where DP has recommended green beans. That's what I eat.

I think beans and lentils (not peas) are all right...mostly for maintenance or bulk...wouldn't use it on a cut though....don't think DP likes 'em though :p

Lentils only and sparingly cuz of the higher fiber to starch ratio. Beans, like you said are not complete, tend to bloat people unless soaked prior to cooking, and are very dense calorically.......I would only use them w/faster metabolisms....not a BB staple for some reason...althouh I have seen Lima's used constructively :D

(Speaking about cuts also)

DP

DP...w8..what do you think about using them as a carb source...like in place of a starch like a sweet potato or brown rice...say 1/2 cup beans...kidney, lima, navy, or black...? And...I', assuming they've been soaked...so the nasty side effects (gas) is minimized?

I'm asking cause I've been doing it lately....about 1/2 cup beans (kidney) cokked measure with a few cups of vegies with a protein source....I'm staying full (satiety...i mean)...and I seem to be getting quite a bit harder??? Who knows...but I'm always trying to figure things like this out and get new info....

w8...np....I'm always a guinny pig (spelling?? who knows...lol)...gotta luv that about this sport...you never really know until you try it!

So...the experiment will continue.......and I'll provide an update...cheers

BTW....it's thursday...shouldn't you be getting ready for the BIG weekend? Good luck!

Thanks FF! I've been shopping for sugah all morning....I am getting ready :evil: :p

IML Gear Cream!
I have used kidney beans w/chicken and brown rice in the past (throw a little sour cream and salsa on top of that for a good bulking meal). Seemed to work well. Kidney beans also work well with ground beef or turkey (ie you can try your hand at making some healthy chili). I soaked the beans over night before using them. I don't see a problem with them at all. But my philosophies, all though they have worked for me, can at times be left of center and may not work for everyone else:D

So far so good...I'm having 1/2 cup kidney beans (white or red)with lean beef/turkey and vegies for 3 meals daily now...usually meals 3, 4, and 5 or so...varies though.

I have noticed:

Improved satiety
Improved regularity...but I didn't have a problem to begin with
Getting leaner...:)
Lots of energy
Some (but within controllable limits) additional gas and bloat

Overall it's looking like a good thing but the experiment is continuing..............more to come :)

i read an article in the June 03 issue of FLEX magazine that: "fava & velvet [Mucuna pruriens] beans may naturally increase growth-hormone levels." the reason is that they contain
L-dopa aka L-dihydroxyphenylenylalanine (actual spelling).
it goes on to say that favas are rich in arginine.
i know that most of you probably look down upon mags but i find some good info by reading them. FYI: i dont follow any of the routines/diet plans.

Back