• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Internet Providers

bdeljoose

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Anybody have Century Link for internet? I have comcast and it sucks. I have to unplug and plug my modem back in to get signal. I pay $80 a month for Comcast. Century is half that price. These are the only providers in my area.What do you guys have and is Century as bad as i have heard?

None of them are perfect. DSL is great if your on a close local loop but Century Link is one of the worst carriers in the country everything about that company sucks. Never had Comcast

We have Mediacom. The Cable is somewhat inconsistent on our TV's. their Internet is off the hook. We have the business bundle. 50MBPS ...SUPER fast!!!!!

I haven't had Century Link for long. Up until a while ago, they were Qwest. I never had problems with Qwest, but Century Link has started to nag me about data caps, which I never had with Qwest.

That said, Comcast sucks ass. If its them of Century Link, go with the later.

I would have them replace your modem. Pitch a fit and tell them if this keeps happening your cancelling. I have comcast and LOVE IT.. I pay for 20 mg and actually see 24 to my house. DSL where I live is horrible. I paid for 12 and saw 3.4mg. My upload speeds are insane. TV wise comcast is not the best. Nothing beats directTV.

If you have Cox in your area, take a look at them. We have had really good service the cable internet screams and TV is great. They are not the cheapest but this is one of those times where I can say you get what you pay for.

Fuck cox. I'd put my dick in the blender before I went with those cock suckers

TIme Warner/Oceanic never had any problems. Their new Ipad app lets me watch a show on the tablet while cooking or pinching a loaf. Haven't figured out how to watch my DVR'ed shows on it yet though. Internet speeds at 20mb isn't bad since I rarely have time anymore to do much more than just watch one stream or download many torrents, maybe once in a while.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/13/technology/comcast-time-warner-cable-deal/

Comcast buys Time Warner Cable for $45 billion

Comcast said Thursday it had agreed to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion in a deal that would combine the two biggest cable companies in the United States.

If the deal is approved, the combined group will be the country's dominant provider of television channels and Internet connections, reaching roughly one in three American homes.

Analysts say the consolidation could help Comcast to compete with satellite providers like DirecTV, wireless phone companies like AT&T (T, Fortune 500) and new streaming services like Netflix (NFLX).

"This isn't about TV anymore -- it's about controlling a fatter, more intelligent pipe for multiple services that emanate from it," including broadband Internet, phone and home security monitoring, said Tim Hanlon, the founder of the Vertere Group, an investment advisory firm that focuses on media and technology.

Time Warner Cable (TWC, Fortune 500) owners will be offered 2.875 Comcast (CMCSA, Fortune 500) shares for each share they own, valuing Time Warner Cable at about $158.82 per share.

The two companies expect the merger to take effect by the end of the year, but regulators are likely to take a close look at the potential impact on consumers.

To address those concerns, Comcast said it was prepared to divest about 3 million subscribers. But it would still have about 30 million subscribers.

The proposed deal ends months of jockeying for control of Time Warner Cable, the second biggest U.S. supplier of cable television with about 11 million subscribers.

Smaller rival Charter (CHTR, Fortune 500) wanted to buy Time Warner Cable, indicating last month it was ready to pay about $130 per share.

Time Warner Cable called that price "grossly inadequate" and countered with a suggestion of $160 per share, very close to Comcast's offer.

But Comcast had cast a shadow over the negotiations, and had reportedly held talks with Charter about how to divvy up Time Warner Cable's territories.

Now, by swallowing Time Warner Cable on its own, Comcast will gain even more leverage over the country's marketplace for television, broadband Internet and phone services. Comcast has about 23 million television subscribers.

With millions more subscribers, Comcast will add muscle in its negotiations with cable channel owners like The Walt Disney Company (DIS, Fortune 500) and Time Warner (TWC, Fortune 500), the parent company of this website. (Time Warner Cable was spun off from Time Warner in 2009 and no longer has any connection to the owner of CNN, HBO and Warner Bros.)

On a call with reporters on Thursday, Comcast executives projected $1.5 billion in operating efficiencies as a result of the deal, mainly through what they called "programming synergies."
James McQuivey, a media analyst for Forrester Research, said the deal signals Comcast's intention to be a tech giant -- not just a cable company.

McQuivey predicted that Comcast would eventually sell a bundle of cable channels via the Internet to households that can't currently subscribe to the company's products. Verizon and AT&T, the country's top two wireless companies, are also believed to be preparing similar "over the top" TV services.

"To really compete on equal footing with Apple and Amazon, Comcast has to figure out what it can offer the world, not just the U.S. All of that starts today."

Although cable providers in general have poor reputations, Comcast has received some high marks for its next-generation software and set-top boxes.

Time Warner Cable, on the other hand, had what the American Customer Satisfaction Index called an "industry low" score last spring. It has shed television subscribers in recent months for a number of reasons, including a protracted blackout of CBS and Showtime in several million homes. Comcast could theoretically improve Time Warner Cable's performance by bringing in its own software.

But even before the official announcement of the deal, questions arose about whether Comcast will be allowed to expand its cable footprint so substantially.

Regulators used to enforce a rule that prohibited a single cable company from controlling more than 30% of the market. But Comcast led a challenge to that rule in the mid-2000s, and in 2009 a federal appeals court threw out the 30% cap.

Still, the proposed combination will surely be scrutinized by the government.

William Baer, who heads the Justice Department's antitrust division, recently told the New York Times that the department would closely scrutinize mergers in the wireless and cable industries. He said he was wary that consumers could benefit from certain combinations.

Gina Talamona, a Justice spokeswoman, declined to comment on Thursday.

The two companies are likely to point out that they don't directly compete -- Comcast has its own markets, like Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., and Time Warner Cable has its own, like New York and North Carolina. The lack of overlap may temper antitrust concerns.

Analysts also point out that Comcast is remarkably well connected in Washington. In fact, its chief lobbyist, David Cohen, was a guest at the White House state dinner for the French president on Tuesday night.

Comcast persuaded government agencies to approve its $30 billion bid for NBCUniversal in 2011. At that time it agreed to a number of conditions that were designed to prevent anticompetitive behavior. It could be compelled to do the same in this case.

On Wednesday night, some of the public interest groups that opposed the NBCUniversal deal, like Free Press, signaled immediate opposition to the consolidation involving Time Warner Cable. "Stopping this kind of deal is exactly why we have antitrust laws," Free Press said in a statement.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/05/what-you-need-to-know-about-a-potential-att-purchase-of-directv/

What You Need To Know About A Potential AT&T Purchase Of DirecTV

First, the tl;dr summary: AT&T is reported to be closer to buying satellite television provider DirecTV for $50 billion. It’s more media ownership consolidation. Consolidation isn’t usually advantageous for consumers, for lots of reasons. But this deal may not matter in the long run.

Now, the long, I’ve Got All Day version: Do we need fewer options for television? The Internet? Communication? No? Then consider whether it’s going to be good for AT&T to buy DirecTV. Consider that it could happen within two weeks. (Or not. After all, the rumors have been around for weeks.) And consider that DirecTV has about 50 billion reasons to sell.

Here’s why AT&T wants DirecTV: It’s an instant expansion of its television offerings without the need to lay more fiber and expand its U-Verse system. It gives them a lot of new subscribers and makes the combined DirecTV-U-Verse a player against the merged Comcast-Time Warner systems. It gives them a national video footprint that U-Verse doesn’t have. It’s a middle finger to Verizon, instantly vaulting AT&T’s video options past Verizon’s FiOS (at least in reach) to pair with wireless. And then there’s DirecTV’s Latin America operations, which would give them a nice footprint in that region more than the minority interest in a competitor they hold today.

Here’s why consumers may not want it: In U-Verse territory, it’s one less competitor to use to negotiate better rates (“Give me a better deal or I’m switching to DirecTV”). It will likely mean U-Verse — and AT&T fiber — won’t grow much past where it already is, because why bother when you have a satellite footprint that covers the nation? It’s not going to lower prices, although you can expect “Triple Play!” packaging with cell phone service, video, and Internet. (How they’ll do Internet depends on where you are — fiber if you’re in U-Verse territory, DSL or third-party cable if not.) And whether you benefit or not depends on how much you like bundles. You might LIKE the convenience of one bill for all your communications needs, even if competition would have lowered prices in the long run. But if you’re not a fan of AT&T service, the prospect of them taking over DirecTV might not be a happy one.

Here’s why it might not matter: First, the plan, according to the rumors, is that AT&T would maintain DirecTV as a separate unit. Second, there IS competition — unless you HAVE to have DirecTV’s exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket (and, personally, as a football fan, I’m happy enough with the Red Zone channel I get on FiOS, but, then, the Eagles tend to be on national TV a lot when they’re good), you can always switch to Dish Network or your local cable system or FiOS, if you can get it. Or nothing. Because, let’s face it, is video over satellite the long-term play or is video over IP the way to go? More people are cutting the cord, and if Aereo wins its court case and they come to your area, you’d be able to get your local broadcast channels over IP as well. (If you get decent reception of the locals with an antenna, that’s even easier, and free.) In a market fast moving towards video over the Internet, a la carte programming, and alternate ways to get the content like Netflix or Hulu or Amazon or your friend’s HBO Go subscription or (illicit means of obtaining programming redacted), strapping a dish to your roof or window sill to get TV might be an anachronism before long.

Here’s the chance it’ll happen: If the Comcast/Time Warner merger gets approved, this will get approved. If Comcast/Time Warner gets bounced, this still might get approved, because it doesn’t involve adding Internet concentration and AT&T’s U-Verse penetration doesn’t add up to too much power when combined with DirecTV. Either way, if the deal gets announced, it’s hard to imagine the regulators saying no.

But, again, does it matter when so many of you are cutting the cord? The Comcast/Time Warner deal is more troublesome because it involves being, basically, a national Internet carrier which can, if Net neutrality doesn’t get preserved, control the pipes to most Americans. This one doesn’t really impact that much. And as long as you have Net access, you can get a lot of what you want on your computer, your tablet, and your Roku or Apple TV or Chromecast.

Back