IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Assault Rifle Guy's - budget build for the gf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

what do you guys have for the lady in your life?
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Swollen Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I just let her shoot my Colt normally. I actually did buy her a browning buckmark .22 pistol to play with.

If I were going to build/buy one, I'd get a AR chambered in .22 cal.
    Like people about as much as they like me. Never found a way to say fuck you politely.

Rep Points

Ruger 10/22 Not an assault rifle guy though. Just law abiding gun owner who is defending his right to keep and bear arms
    Jagbender's battle of the bulge
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJ View Post
    I just let her shoot my Colt normally. I actually did buy her a browning buckmark .22 pistol to play with.

If I were going to build/buy one, I'd get a AR chambered in .22 cal.
    that's what I was thinking about doing is building her a .22

might as well I got all these gunsmithing tools and bench now might as well use this stuff.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

a Ruger 10/22, or the Ruger mini-14 I like a lot for the money. Most women don't shoot all that often so spending more money on ammo has always been a plus for me. However if your woman loves to shoot then building her a full fledged AR would be an awesome gift for both of you. If you got a lady like that you are one of the lucky ones LAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    Sheep get their news from the media, I get my news from Facebook. That's where the real unbiased news is found. any everyone from IM that is friends with me on FB knows this.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

LAM, don't screw around with this if you don't know what you are doing. It will be cheaper for you to go to the store and buy a plain jane Ruger 10/22 and pimp it out. I use to build 1911's, and do gunsmithing as a second job. If you don't have the knowledge and skills, you are flirting with problems.

I built just about everyone of my 30 firearms. In my wife's gun safe there is an AK47, AR15, a Mauser conversion in 243, a Tricked out Ruger 10/22, a Smith&Wesson model 60, Ruger LCP, Browning High Power pistol, Sig 226, a Colt Commander 38 Super, a Colt Officer in 45ACP.

Let me put a myth to rest. I have been a NRA instructor for almost 20 years now. I teach handgun, pistol and shotgun. Women shoot better than men do, period. They pay attention when being trained, they will ask questions to clarify a detail if not sure, they do not have years of macho ego telling them they know how to do this, they have better hand eye coordination for fine detail than men do. And according to the FBI, you stand a 10X better chance of being killed by a woman with a gun than if being shot at by a man. Don't mess around with a woman that has a gun, she will more than likely kill you.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dogsoldier View Post
    LAM, don't screw around with this if you don't know what you are doing. It will be cheaper for you to go to the store and buy a plain jane Ruger 10/22 and pimp it out. I use to build 1911's, and do gunsmithing as a second job. If you don't have the knowledge and skills, you are flirting with problems.

I built just about everyone of my 30 firearms. In my wife's gun safe there is an AK47, AR15, a Mauser conversion in 243, a Tricked out Ruger 10/22, a Smith&Wesson model 60, Ruger LCP, Browning High Power pistol, Sig 226, a Colt Commander 38 Super, a Colt Officer in 45ACP.

Let me put a myth to rest. I have been a NRA instructor for almost 20 years now. I teach handgun, pistol and shotgun. Women shoot better than men do, period. They pay attention when being trained, they will ask questions to clarify a detail if not sure, they do not have years of macho ego telling them they know how to do this, they have better hand eye coordination for fine detail than men do. And according to the FBI, you stand a 10X better chance of being killed by a woman with a gun than if being shot at by a man. Don't mess around with a woman that has a gun, she will more than likely kill you.
    the same holds true for women learning muay thai, and snoboarding/skiing
    Sheep get their news from the media, I get my news from Facebook. That's where the real unbiased news is found. any everyone from IM that is friends with me on FB knows this.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

I've been gunsmithing off and on since I was 18, so no problems there. was just thinking about getting a weapon for her so we can do more stuff together like going to the range because going to the gym together will never happen in my lifetime...LOL

Crimson Rep
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

I would just get her a real AR. then a .22 there is virtually no recoil in a .223 round and you will have allot more fun with it because once she gets better at shooting she will have the ability to go a longer distance. You can get a budget AR built for 700$

As for girls shooting better, my wife learned to shoot accuratly at a faster rathe then me. I had a habit that I call the video game movie star habit when I first started to shoot hang guns. Where I would flinch after every shoot. My wife had a perfect flawless trigger pull and shot a perfect score at the end of the day at our pistol course. Time was not fast, but shooting was perfect.

As for guns she shoots, she carries a sig .380 or a fn57, shoots my home defence 870 for skeet shooting (shooter barrell is easier for her 12g as well) my 44 deseart eagle and loves to shoot my r700 30wsm, but gun kicks the shit out of her.

Chemistry Experiment
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

My wife loves her sig .45. She used to have a mini 14 and loved that too.

IronMagLabs 15% Off Coupon Code = heavyiron15

International and USA Customers go to Orbitnutrition.com and use HEAVY10 for 10% off all orders at Orbit

Hardcore Peptides 20% Discount Code: HEAVY20

All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Re: Assault Rifle Guy's - budget build for the gf

Love the mini 14. My wife and i have been shooting our whole life together. She carries a Beretta 32 that she can put 2 rounds in the same whole with so yeah screwing with her would be a dangerous proposition.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Do Work

Rep Points

I just built my wife an AR with a Special Ops Tactical lower and receiver and Daniel Defense Upper. Cost me 817.34 to do it on my own. Just as dogsoldier said, you gotta have the know how so things don't get messy. I was having some issues with the gas piston assembly, but after a few tweaks, we're good to go. She fires flawlessly.

Rep Points

No sniper rifle using a 700 Rem action? WTF, dude?

Rep Points

No rifle for the wife. Bought her a Taurus 709 Slim(9mm) to start with. Now she's taken over my G17 and won't give it back. Loaded Mossberg 500(8 shot) beside bed. She is proficient with rifled slugs up to 35 yards. I sleep well...

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by secdrl View Post
    I just built my wife an AR with a Special Ops Tactical lower and receiver and Daniel Defense Upper. Cost me 817.34 to do it on my own. Just as dogsoldier said, you gotta have the know how so things don't get messy. I was having some issues with the gas piston assembly, but after a few tweaks, we're good to go. She fires flawlessly.
    I find the AR platform ridiculously easy to work on but I also have crazy tools so that makes just about any job pretty easy as long as you have the right know-how and some patience.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aries1 View Post
    No sniper rifle using a 700 Rem action? WTF, dude?
    I was saying what was in HER safe. My counter sniper anti-zombie interdiction rifle is a 308 win on a Mauser African action with a Hart heavy tactical barrel. For lesser work, I have a Remington 700 PPS in 308 and a heavily modified Remington BDL in 300 win mag. FWIW, I am a Mauser guy. Toughest damn actions ever made.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I find the AR platform ridiculously easy to work on but I also have crazy tools so that makes just about any job pretty easy as long as you have the right know-how and some patience.
    LAM, I am saying this with concern. When I hear things like what you just said, it worries me. Now don't run to Google. How do you headspace an AR? Do you know what head spacing is? How do you fix bad headspace on an AR?What do you do if after you snap together the "ridiculous easy" AR and you bolt jams in the forward position after going into battery? Honestly dude, you only have one face. You ever see a catastrophic failure of a rifle? It can be lethal. If you cannot answer any of these questions, buy a completed rifle.

Rep Points

I was saying what was in HER safe. My counter sniper anti-zombie interdiction rifle is a 308 win on a Mauser African action with a Hart heavy tactical barrel. For lesser work, I have a Remington 700 PPS in 308 and a heavily modified Remington BDL in 300 win mag. FWIW, I am a Mauser guy. Toughest damn actions ever made.
    Really? I'll look deeper into their selection. The Rem700 has been a staple in all my long range equipment. 20" barrel and 26" barrel BTW. I hate the name Varminter for the record.

I use Leupold exclusively to look at things a bit closer, ya know.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

LAM, I am saying this with concern. When I hear things like what you just said, it worries me. Now don't run to Google. How do you headspace an AR? Do you know what head spacing is? How do you fix bad headspace on an AR?What do you do if after you snap together the "ridiculous easy" AR and you bolt jams in the forward position after going into battery? Honestly dude, you only have one face. You ever see a catastrophic failure of a rifle? It can be lethal. If you cannot answer any of these questions, buy a completed rifle.
    fix headspace? get a new barrel or send the out of spec one back to the manufacture as it was a POS when they sent it out of the factory..LOL

clean the headspace and check/swap out components on the BCG and check for go/no-go with headspace gauges

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aries1 View Post
    Really? I'll look deeper into their selection. The Rem700 has been a staple in all my long range equipment. 20" barrel and 26" barrel BTW. I hate the name Varminter for the record.

I use Leupold exclusively to look at things a bit closer, ya know.
    Mauser actions are hard to find. Mine came from Canada as our gubbermint stopped their importation a bunch of years ago. If you want a good project rifle, hunt down a WWII VZ BRNO action. They are great and will take just about anything you can barrel it to.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

fix headspace? get a new barrel or send the out of spec one back to the manufacture as it was a POS when they sent it out of the factory..LOL

clean the headspace and check/swap out components on the BCG and check for go/no-go with headspace gauges
    Nice answer. Straight out of the "do it yourself" pages from some gun rag. You are only about 10% right. So with that in mind, I was trying to help you. You have proven that you are not intellectually competent through your ramblings and engagements in Google fights with your postings. Now you are showing that you are not even wise enough to understand you are not technically competent. So, with that said. By all means, build an AR rifle. I am sure you will be great at it. And maybe you will get lucky and it will work right. Just be sure that YOU run about 100-200 rounds of ammo through it before handing to anyone else to fire.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Nice answer. Straight out of the "do it yourself" pages from some gun rag. You are only about 10% right. So with that in mind, I was trying to help you. You have proven that you are not intellectually competent through your ramblings and engagements in Google fights with your postings. Now you are showing that you are not even wise enough to understand you are not technically competent. So, with that said. By all means, build an AR rifle. I am sure you will be great at it. And maybe you will get lucky and it will work right. Just be sure that YOU run about 100-200 rounds of ammo through it before handing to anyone else to fire.
    yes..according to you Mr NRA....thanks for the heads up but i'm not going to hurt myself

I was trained by the best GMG and GMMs in the navy. have you ever worked on a Phalanx CIWS system because I have and they make an AR-15 look like a red rider bb gun. ever worked on a 76mm gun? I have. i might not know all the technical terms but there's nothing I can't fix. it's only a gun I've worked on far more complex devices. ever change a klystron tube on a SPS-55 radar with out any training?
    Last edited by LAM; 01-29-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Swollen Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quit with the "Who's cock is bigger?" shit.

LAM post up pics of the build. I would think that finding parts right now might be extremely difficult. A better option might be a Browning Buckmark. Cheap and a great gun.
    Like people about as much as they like me. Never found a way to say fuck you politely.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJ View Post
    Quit with the "Who's cock is bigger?" shit.

LAM post up pics of the build. I would think that finding parts right now might be extremely difficult. A better option might be a Browning Buckmark. Cheap and a great gun.
    she's a country girl from canada and grew up shooting rifles, that's why I want to get her on an AR. she also constantly drops shit, I don't know how so I don't think a handgun would be the good for her. not quite sure what's up with her hands but she's got butterfingers or something. never seen one person drop so much shit in my entire life.

Rep Points

What caliber does she want. Just because she is a chick doesn't mean she can't or couldn't handle a big caliber. For an AR I prefer a Collapsible stock.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The cost of going to a 308 based cartridge up scales the cost incredibly plus parts will be harder to find. For a first build, assuming, 5.56 is the least expensive option. And in all honesty, the 5.56 is not a slouch round. But that is totally up to LAM.

Rep Points

Get her an AR in 5.56 and get the .22lr rimfire conversion kit. 700 or so in the AR and about 250 in the conversion kit. It takes about 20 seconds to change and shoots very well.

.45 ACP rules!

Rep Points

what do you guys have for the lady in your life?
    Get her the S&W M&P-15 Sport. About $750. Only things it doesn't have are the dustcover over the ejection port and the forward assist.
    If gunners were as violent as anti-gunners believe, logically there wouldn't be any anti-gunners left.

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Go to New Frontier Armory

https://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/

While I was researching a new AR for myself, my wife got the urge to own one. We went to NFA to do some window shopping and I turned her loose with one of the salesmen. (We're already on a first name basis with most every employee there.) They're all very knowledgeable, no high pressure sales and they don't have the typical tacticool b.s. attitude. After chatting for a while she ended up buying a complete AR that was built using their proprietary lightweight polymer lower. It's an absolute pleasure to shoot and she loves it. They can build you a complete rifle or you can get pieces parts and do it yourself. Fantastic bunch of folks to deal with.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Still growin

Rep Points

We have a Ruger mini 30,love it! Ruger 10/22' winchester lever action 22 cal Then mostly pistols from there on out.
    More importantly I keep about 1500 rounds in the house for the 30
    I'll get there or Die trying...