Super crunchy fried chicken by Cooks country
To crush the corn flakes, place them inside a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to break them into pieces no smaller than 1/2 inch.
- 2cups buttermilk
- 2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 1/4teaspoons table salt
- 1 1/2teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8split bone-in chicken breasts (10 to 12 ounces each), skin removed and ribs trimmed with kitchen shears
- 2 1/2cups crushed corn flakes
- 3/4cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2teaspoon ground poultry seasoning
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. Whisk buttermilk, mustard, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and hot sauce together in large bowl. Add chicken, turn to coat well, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil, set wire rack on sheet, and coat rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3. Gently toss corn flakes, bread crumbs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, poultry seasoning, paprika, and cayenne in shallow dish until combined. Drizzle oil over crumbs and toss until well coated. Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from marinade and dredge in crumb mixture, firmly pressing crumbs onto all sides of chicken. Place chicken on prepared rack, leaving 1/2 inch of space between each piece. Bake until chicken is deep golden brown, juices run clear, and instant-read thermometer inserted deep into breast away from bone registers 160 degrees, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Make-Ahead Preparations
Want to serve Oven-Fried Chicken after work? Marinate the chicken in the buttermilk mixture and combine the dry ingredients in a zipper-lock bag (all but the oil) the night before or in the morning before heading out. When you come home, all you'll have to do is heat the oven, toss the crumb mixture with oil, coat the chicken, and bake.