• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

GOP seeks alternative to overtime pay

I did not read the whole thing. It was covered pretty good on the radio news. What's the problem? My union guys are given the option of OT or time off. Some of the guys prefer to get an extra day or two off as oppose to money. It is their call.

Seems like no matter what Republicans and Democrats are going to fight. No biggie here. if it passes or not, senate won't vote on it, and president won't sign. I'm fine with that. i hope these guys sit there and talk about a ton of stuff and get nothing accomplished. that way they aren't making things worse.

Being I'm a exempt employee it is a bit concerning when you look at these type of laws...one side says great I'm gonna get paid in some fashion for anything over 40...which is common..

Other side says...wait...this is a open door to cut my pay based on..."your not working as many hours,so your production isn't as high"..

This thing looks nice on paper...but it has trouble written all over it for exempt employees and maintain there pay..

I did not read the whole thing. It was covered pretty good on the radio news. What's the problem? My union guys are given the option of OT or time off. Some of the guys prefer to get an extra day or two off as oppose to money. It is their call.

Part of the problem is that it becomes up to the employer's discretion when you can take that time off. If ever.

Part of the problem is that it becomes up to the employer's discretion when you can take that time off. If ever.

realistically all it does is empower business owners that much more over labor in an already extremely business friendly US. the vast majority of hour wage jobs OT is earned these days. so it's not like OT is killing company's because is hardly ever seen these days. owners can simply hire more part-time workers or shift that extra work to salary employers.

I've heard them talk about a lack of OT in the big chains like Wallmart (obviously), Target, cloth retailers and fast food chains. personally when I work in all these places I question as many people as I can about the business practices of the company's. ultimately all of the retailers, fast food chains, etc. in the US are subsidiaries of larger company's so they all have the same business models and are ultimately owned by a dozen or so large firms. and these are the firms that employee the majority of US workers

it's another economic policy that is not supported by any economists, history or is seen in any of the highly functioning economies in the OECD. basically another bad idea that once implemented will be near impossible to reverse as is almost all bad policy passed in the US.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how working more days translates into getting more time off. Either way you are working more days and they won't have to pay you for it, apparently.

As a union member and someone who works somewhere in the nieghborhood of 800 hours of overtime a year, I'll take my money please. I almost double my salary this way and thats how I would like to keep it.

Poppycock! These guys and their never ending battle to screw us over. I find it very disconcerting that these great protectors of evil try to convince you that raising the minimum wage will cause more harm than good.

Yeah well, maybe for your biggest supporters and campaign contributors.

IDK bout you guys, but these guys are soo transparent, they should all be windows.

I just love when politicians talk about pay cut -- because that's what this is. When was the last time a politician took a pay cut? Congress? The Senate (they're talking about not giving themselves a raise -- whoodie-fucking-doo)?

I really fucking hate them.

IML Gear Cream!
Without the proper assurances that it will be the employees choice on which they choose the bill should die. An employer should not be able to force someone or coerce them into taking PTO later. If proper assurances are placed in the bill to ensure the employee gets to make the decision on how they are compensated for their time then I'm fine with the concept. Not sure why you'd chose PTO, but whatever.

Then again, i'm salaried so it doesn't mean shit to me. I really hoping these guys fight each other forever and get nothing done. then I can go back to my life without them trying to take more of my liberties away

realistically all it does is empower business owners that much more over labor in an already extremely business friendly US. the vast majority of hour wage jobs OT is earned these days. so it's not like OT is killing company's because is hardly ever seen these days. owners can simply hire more part-time workers or shift that extra work to salary employers.

I've heard them talk about a lack of OT in the big chains like Wallmart (obviously), Target, cloth retailers and fast food chains. personally when I work in all these places I question as many people as I can about the business practices of the company's. ultimately all of the retailers, fast food chains, etc. in the US are subsidiaries of larger company's so they all have the same business models and are ultimately owned by a dozen or so large firms. and these are the firms that employee the majority of US workers

it's another economic policy that is not supported by any economists, history or is seen in any of the highly functioning economies in the OECD. basically another bad idea that once implemented will be near impossible to reverse as is almost all bad policy passed in the US.

There's a place for OT.....mostly in skilled labor positions...in a retail setting its payroll suicide to use OT..

The consumer see's these giant retailer's and figure they have money piling up to spend as they will...when in reality there is a very fine line between black and red...most large chain retailers are budgeted between 5-7% net income....excessive OT can gobble that up quick...

There's a place for OT.....mostly in skilled labor positions...in a retail setting its payroll suicide to use OT..

The consumer see's these giant retailer's and figure they have money piling up to spend as they will...when in reality there is a very fine line between black and red...most large chain retailers are budgeted between 5-7% net income....excessive OT can gobble that up quick...

Right, pay the worker 9 bucks an hour and pay the CEO 11 mil a year and his croney 3 mil a year and his secretary 65 grand a year. Right it's the overtime of the folks working the floor that's bringing the company down. Sorry but I'm not buying that crap. Walmart pay's their workers like crap and the 4 kids of Sam Walton are on the 10 riches people of America list. I'm talking corporate America, Not Mom and Pop operations.

just a quick google search

$22.6 million Thomas Ryan, CVS Caremark

$22.5 million John Donahoe, eBay

$21.6 million David Perdue*, Dollar General

$17.5 million H. Lee Scott, Wal-Mart

$16.2 million Dov Charney, American Apparel

$14.8 million David Brandon, Domino's Pizza

$12.8 million Steve Odland, Office Depot

$12.6 million Andrea Jung, Avon

$11.6 million John Antioco, Blockbuster

$11.5 million Ronald Sargent, Staples

$10.6 million Howard Schultz, Starbucks

$10.6 million Jeff Rachor*, Pep Boys

$ 9.4 million James Skinner, McDonald's

$ 8.3 million Frank Blake, Home Depot

$ 8.1 million Herbert Zarkin, BJ's Wholesale

$ 7.4 million Terry Lundgren, Macy's

$ 7.1 million Austin Lignon*, CarMax

$ 6.8 million Kay Krill, Ann Taylor

$ 6.6 million Julian Geigner, Aeropostale

$ 6.2 million Jeffrey Rein, Walgreen Inc.

$ 6.1 million Dennis Nelson, Buckle Inc.

$ 6.0 million Gerald Storch, Toys ?R Us

$ 5.8 million Stephen Sandove, Saks

Yup it's the hourly paid workers killing the company.

:coffee:

And some of those are getting paid such amounts to do a shitty job running the company.

but just about nobody get OT these days. using a combination of data from the BLS and some income statistics from a 2010 SSA wage report:

* 50% of the current US workforce is part time in the low wage US service sector - obviously these people are not earning any OT

* the top 30% take home 70% of the nations income - heavily compensated employees also do not earn OT with a base salary + performance bonuses, stock options, etc.

so that leaves 20% of the US workforce

* it's policy that is not supported by economics, there is not one single report or brief on this subject anywhere by anybody. that would tell you that it's a non-issue and that being the case it's nothing more than "political economic" policy.

:coffee: .....bump trump opposes raising the minimum pay rate... a real working man's hero... [sarcasm]

:coffee: .....bump trump opposes raising the minimum pay rate... a real working man's hero... [sarcasm]

not only should Trump oppose the minimum wage hike, he should also be in favor of eliminating the minimum wage.

making it illegal for low to no skilled workers to get a job and work is cruel and doing them a disservice. And all those lost jobs do to automation because of the minimum wage is not good.

IML Gear Cream!

no he is an experienced business man and he understands that this type of wage hike will kill small businesses and in the long run people will lose jobs.

Back