Facebook    Twitter    YouTube    Instagram

How often should i be making gains

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    usa connecticut
    Posts
    132

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1087209

    How often should i be making gains

    Its been literally 30 days today since i started going to the gym. Im curious about how often i should see gains and increase weight on lifts.

    For instance I have made gains in some areas but not in others.

    Legs. Im up 25 pounds on my squats, 20 pounds on press, 10 pounds on my curls and extensions.

    Biceps and chest I have not been able to add any weight. Except for dips. I use to need the machine assist, now i can do them quite easily. This was most surprising to me.
    Quite frustrating that im still at the same weight.

    I assume bicep will be the hardest to add weight because the weight increments will be in the 5 pounds, which is a large % of the 25 or 30 pound dumbell im curling now.
    My bench press could be mental. Im pretty scared to add weight without a spotter. Should i be benching on the smith machine instead?


    Back and shoulders not really sure, will find out in a couple of days though when i try to increase weight.

  2. #2
    on a constant bulk
    ELITE MEMBER
    westb51's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming for that #1 spot
    Age
    37
    Posts
    554

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    27264107

    Quote Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
    Its been literally 30 days today since i started going to the gym. Im curious about how often i should see gains and increase weight on lifts.

    For instance I have made gains in some areas but not in others.


    Biceps and chest I have not been able to add any weight
    for bi's it might take awhile b/c ( I bet) you are already lifting too heavy with incorrect form (b/c 90% of people do this, and you're new)


    . Except for dips. I use to need the machine assist, now i can do them quite easily. This was most surprising to me.
    Quite frustrating that im still at the same weight.

    I assume bicep will be the hardest to add weight because the weight increments will be in the 5 pounds, which is a large % of the 25 or 30 pound dumbell im curling now.
    My bench press could be mental. Im pretty scared to add weight without a spotter. Should i be benching on the smith machine instead?


    Back and shoulders not really sure, will find out in a couple of days though when i try to increase weight.
    Idk how but I missed the bolded above. Just my guess but that weight it too heavy for you. Go down in weight and do it without moving your elbow and be sure to extend your arm.


    And when you say you can't increase weight on a lift what does that mean? Let's say you can BB bench press 135 10 times, you can't do 145 even once?
    this is now, i can't change tommrrow
    if i can't change today

  3. #3
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    usa connecticut
    Posts
    132

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1087209

    After re reading what i typed i guess its silly. I could increase weight. Just scared without a spotter. I dont want to be the guy dropping a barbell on his throat

    my last bench was

    10 135
    8 135
    7 135
    5 135

    Im going to try lowering the weight like you suggested on my curls to make sure i use bette form. Thanks

  4. #4
    Registered User
    CaptainNapalm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    37
    Posts
    685

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    9557135

    How old are you?
    To speak before you think is like wiping your ass before you shit!

  5. #5
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    usa connecticut
    Posts
    132

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1087209

    36. I have never lifted weights before until this past month. I was fat and lost 30 pounds and now im trying to stay in shape for good. I was at the gym last night and benched 165 on the smith machine so I know i can go up in weight.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    ELITE MEMBER
    steelslayer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    23

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    98032

    Congrats on starting a new way of life of fitness. I bet your overall goal is to gain strength and size. A true test of strength is to max out on pull ups!! Go ahead and do as many as you can today, then every week do it again. I like to track my body progress by using a measuring tape. Your body weight will go up and down, this will drive you nuts. Counting weight pound for pound and trying increase every week is cool and motivating. I want to advise you do not get stuck doing the same exercises every week. Your body will develop muscle memory and begin to do the exercises with the lease efforts on your body. Short hand switch up your work outs. exp. week one do high reps low weight 4 sets of 15 reps. week two heavy weight low reps 5 sets 5 reps. week three do super sets or drop sets. I would recommend asking some of these guys if they have workout routines, I know the body parts I want to hit and then I just make it happen.

  7. #7
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Beirut
    Posts
    284

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    -2955891

    congratulations on your efforts....i would suggest that 30 days into working out you should not be concerned about lifting heavy weights or even to failure. you should concentrate for at least 3-4 months on your learning and lifting technique and concentrate on keeping good form until it becomes natural to you. no matter what weights you use you will have some gains in the beginning due to many factors one of which is just you are getting better technique. Use weights that you can lift more than 10 reps ( 15 should be hard) then only increase the weight after a while when you feel comfortable with the weights and your form is perfect.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    dmike03's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    66

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    6637260

    Quote Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post


    My bench press could be mental. Im pretty scared to add weight without a spotter. Should i be benching on the smith machine instead?

    Try to stay away from the smith machine if you can. I almost always train alone, and when I first started I was scarred of not being able to lift the bar off me. So I used the smith machine. And I was very surprised to find out the amount of weight doesn't transfer to free weight. I could bench 20lbs more on the smith machine.
    So I use the power rack. It's usually very slow at the gym when I train, so if it's the same with you try the power rack. So you don't have to worry about crushing your chest.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    CaptainNapalm's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Age
    37
    Posts
    685

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    9557135

    Quote Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
    36. I have never lifted weights before until this past month. I was fat and lost 30 pounds and now im trying to stay in shape for good. I was at the gym last night and benched 165 on the smith machine so I know i can go up in weight.
    Okay, I was asking because you can expect different gains when you're in your early 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and so forth. You should try to increase weight on each major lift at least minimally every week. If that can't be done, then at least try to increase the reps. When that becomes to difficult, it's time to take a week off and start a completely different workout which will enable you to make the necessary weight adjustments. Otherwise, you'll likely be maintaining with minimal gains, if any. Also, adjusting your diet i.e.. increasing calorie intake, protein intake, eliminating junk food can help you make the gains. Finally, creatine monohydrate has always allowed me to break plateaus in strength and size so you can try that for a few months on and few months off.
    To speak before you think is like wiping your ass before you shit!

  10. #10
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    usa connecticut
    Posts
    132

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1087209

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNapalm View Post
    Okay, I was asking because you can expect different gains when you're in your early 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and so forth. You should try to increase weight on each major lift at least minimally every week. If that can't be done, then at least try to increase the reps. When that becomes to difficult, it's time to take a week off and start a completely different workout which will enable you to make the necessary weight adjustments. Otherwise, you'll likely be maintaining with minimal gains, if any. Also, adjusting your diet i.e.. increasing calorie intake, protein intake, eliminating junk food can help you make the gains. Finally, creatine monohydrate has always allowed me to break plateaus in strength and size so you can try that for a few months on and few months
    off.
    Well good news this morning. I went for it. My bench is now 165 8 times. My squat is up 30lbs since a month and a half ago. Everything is up. Very happy this morning

    Quote Originally Posted by dmike03 View Post
    Try to stay away from the smith machine if you can. I almost always train alone, and when I first started I was scarred of not being able to lift the bar off me. So I used the smith machine. And I was very surprised to find out the amount of weight doesn't transfer to free weight. I could bench 20lbs more on the smith machine.
    So I use the power rack. It's usually very slow at the gym when I train, so if it's the same with you try the power rack. So you don't have to worry about crushing your chest.
    I have been staying away from the smith machine. Ill continue to do so. I do love the power rack.

    Quote Originally Posted by steelslayer View Post
    Congrats on starting a new way of life of fitness. I bet your overall goal is to gain strength and size. A true test of strength is to max out on pull ups!! Go ahead and do as many as you can today, then every week do it again. I like to track my body progress by using a measuring tape. Your body weight will go up and down, this will drive you nuts. Counting weight pound for pound and trying increase every week is cool and motivating. I want to advise you do not get stuck doing the same exercises every week. Your body will develop muscle memory and begin to do the exercises with the lease efforts on your body. Short hand switch up your work outs. exp. week one do high reps low weight 4 sets of 15 reps. week two heavy weight low reps 5 sets 5 reps. week three do super sets or drop sets. I would recommend asking some of these guys if they have workout routines, I know the body parts I want to hit and then I just make it happen.
    Thanks mate. I will definitley start switching it up. I do pullups on back shoulder days. These are easy for me since i have been doing pullups with a bar at my house for quite a few months.

  11. #11
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    usa connecticut
    Posts
    132

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1087209

    Oh and my weight is 155 up from 150. Yep my weight flucutates and it does drive me crazy.

  12. #12
    on a constant bulk
    ELITE MEMBER
    westb51's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    coming for that #1 spot
    Age
    37
    Posts
    554

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    27264107

    Quote Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
    Oh and my weight is 155 up from 150. Yep my weight flucutates and it does drive me crazy.

    When you weight yourself you have to be consistent to get an accurate reading (same time every day after the same activities eg eating, sleeping). I weight myself every morning after I take a shit. I don't eat or drink anything before I weigh. You also must wear the same thing when you weigh.
    this is now, i can't change tommrrow
    if i can't change today

  13. #13
    Registered User


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    usa connecticut
    Posts
    132

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    1087209

    I always weigh myself in the morning as soon as i wake up. I sleep naked so i weigh myself as soon as i walk into the bathroom. I can weigh in at 152 and by the end of the day im at 158. I figured 155 was a neutral number. Compared to last month it ws 146 in the morning or as high as 152 in the evening.

  14. #14
    Member
    ELITE MEMBER
    cdan19's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Back in the Yards
    Posts
    197

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points
    18199053

    TMI brother, lol, I wouldn't focus so much on weight it'll come. Just go by how you look in the mirror and check every couple weeks unless your getting ready for a comp or have to make a certain weight for a sport.
    Please Check out TGB1987's Supplement store at
    www.TGBSupplements.com Thank you!
    www.IronMagLabs.com

  15. #15
    Registered User


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Beirut
    Posts
    284

    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points
    -2955891

    ^^^ this i weigh myself probably once a year... you should focus on your looks but don't stay in front of the mirror all day, your weight does not indicate muscle gains for sure it can indicate fat gains as well which you don't want. you have been in the gym for 30 days dude and you are already obsessed by weight gains and how much you can lift and so on !!! just focus on your routine and training and all the good stuff will follow otherwise you will be only frustrating yourself... gains are not measured by days they are measured by months and years.

Similar Threads

  1. Making gains after pct
    By Digitalash in forum Anabolic Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 07:59 PM
  2. still making gains
    By ROID RANGER in forum Anabolic Zone
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM
  3. help Making Gains on Bench
    By MotivationMonty in forum Training
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
  4. How do you tell you're making gains?
    By ChrisROCK in forum Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 12:35 AM
  5. Making Gains Without Pain
    By Leslie in forum Online Journals
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright© 2001-2017 IronMag® Bodybuilding Forums