IronMagLabs

Fish Oil (Omega 3) Said to cause Prostate Cancer

Rep Points

Fish Oil (Omega 3) Said to cause Prostate Cancer

I was watching MSNBC's closing bell and they were interviewing a Doctor about a study that Fish Oil now causes Prostate cancer especially in Men over 50

Rep Points

I sure hope not!

Goonie Goo Goo

Rep Points

Rep Points

I haven't heard this before but it is interesting for sure. I think that it could be true but it also could be false. Not really sure what to think of it I would need to see some evidence to support it. I am also going to do some research on this topic to see if any of it may be true. I think that it could be great information. The closing bell always has some great guests on the show.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by PushAndPull View Post
    Definitive Word

What I find interesting is term in the title, "MIGHT INCREASE", meaning their research shows a possible link but nothing that stipulates, Fish Oil = Cancer.

Quantity

The preliminary research indicates that how much you ingest MAY trigger cancer.

The same could be said about water. Drinking too much will kill you, via hyponatremia or drowning.

Witch Hunt or Cause for Concern, Dr Udo Erasmus
    UdoErasmus.com > ARTICLES > Flax Oil & Prostate Cancer

Udo Erasmus is "The Fat Doctor". He one of the leaders in the field of fat in nutrition.

Erasmus addresses the concerns with flaxseed oil causing cancer.

Some of the information in this article applies to fish oil, as well.

The Education of The Public

The average individuals education on this topic, any topic for that matter, revolves around some 30 second blurb on the news.

Nothing complex can be explained, examined or understood with 30 seconds of information.

Medical Doctors

Let me reiterate that many medical doctors have at the most 6 hours of nutrition. No matter how smart anyone is, 6 hours is NOT enough education to turn anyone into an expert.

America's Healthcare System is the Third Leading Cause of Death
    Doctors are the Third Leading Cause of Death

American physicians are doing their part to insure they either maintain or move up in the ratings in this category.

Take Home Message

"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see." Benjamin Franklin

Do you own research on a topic and then come to you own conclusion.

Kenny Croxdale

Rep Points

Funny how Eskimos don't get prostate cancer.

Rep Points

Very interesting.

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

I'm not worried about this news. ^^^^

Dr. Iain Frame, director of research at Prostate Cancer UK, says men reading about the results of this research should not panic about their omega-3 intake. Dr. Frame says: "Omega 3, such as is found in oily fish, has been the focus of a large amount of research in recent years, the majority of which points to it having wide-ranging health benefits when eaten as part of a balanced diet..."

"Much larger and more complex studies will need to take place before we will fully understand how the risks of a diet high in Omega 3 balance against those benefits."

Dr. Frame adds:
    "Therefore, we would not encourage any man to change their diet as a result of this study, but to speak to their doctor if they have any concerns about prostate cancer."

More @ Omega 3 Fish Oils Linked To Increased Prostate Cancer Risk

Chemistry Experiment
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Sounds like total BS to me.

IronMagLabs 15% Off Coupon Code = heavyiron15

International and USA Customers go to Orbitnutrition.com and use HEAVY10 for 10% off all orders at Orbit

IronMag Research Now Open! - heavyiron15 for 15% off!
    All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DetMuscle View Post
    And the Winner is....

DetMuscle's statement is simple, to the point and drive it home with a sledgehammer!

Here some additional information on he health benefits of Fish Fat...

The Inuit Paradox – High Protein & Fat, No Fruits/Vegetables and yet Lower Heart Disease and Cancer | The IF Life

"Want to know about a group of people who eat primarily only meat and fat, very little fruits and vegetables and are healthier than any other group of people? Well meet the Inuit from the frozen North."

Sugar and Omega 6's

What this article also points out is that the Eskimos were doing okay until we introduced them to sugar and food the threw off there Omega 6mega 3 Fat Ratios.

The Seven Countries Study

This is another part of bad science (bogus science) that lead us down the wrong path for decades.

The research by Ancel Keys identified saturated fats as the culprit behind cardio vascular disease.

Keys' based his research on 22 countries but threw out 15 of the research from 15 countries because the countered his theory. Thus, The Seven Countries Report because ONLY 7 countries were left.

New Research on Saturated Fats

New research now have vindicated saturated fat.

The research demonstrates that saturated fat increases HDL (good cholesterol).

Saturate fat increases the good part of LDL, Particle A not Particle B (very bad) LDL.

Pure White and Deadly, John Yudkin

Yudkin identified sugar as the problem, not saturated fat in 1972.

Now 41 years later, heath experts are trying to re-educate the public on this misconception.

However, the general public is still decades behind and very few of them will catch up.

Doing Sit Ups Will Decrease Your Waist Size

Like the misinformation on saturated fat, people still believe this.

Kenny Croxdale

Goonie Goo Goo

Rep Points

This one inconclusive study isn't enough to stop me from taking fish oil, but if I do get cancer, i'm coming for you Kenny!

Rep Points

It was weird they questioned the guy and said they did a study with over 1.3K people, and Maria Bartiromo asked the Dr. do you recommend Men over 50 to stop taking fish oil supp's and the Dr. said yes immediatley. What about Flaxseed oil that has Omega
    Last edited by ctr10; 07-12-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Rep Points

Fish oils may raise prostate cancer risks, study confirms

Maggie Fox, Senior Writer NBC News

• Facebook Share on Facebook
    • Twitter
    • LinkedIn
    • GooglePlus
    • Email

July 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM ET

Video: Omega-3 fatty acids, made from fish oils, have been found to increase the risk of men developing prostate cancer. ITV?s Sascha Williams reports.

Everyone knows that fish oil is good for you, right? It?s a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are marketed to reduce the risk of just about everything from heart disease to Alzheimer?s.

But a startling study shows men who have the highest levels of these compounds ? the kinds found in fish but not in vegetable sources -- have a higher risk of prostate cancer. Men with the very highest levels had a 71 percent higher risk of high-grade prostate cancer ? the kind most likely to spread and kill, they report in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
    It might be a sign that popping a pill is not only possibly a waste of money ? it might be downright dangerous. And eating fish too often might be, also.
    ?These fish oil supplements in which some men getting mega, mega doses?in our opinion that is probably a little bit dangerous,? said Theodore Brasky of Ohio State University Medical Center, who worked on the study with a team from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.
    The same team published a study in 2011 that showed men with the highest levels of one omega-3 fatty acid called docosahexaenoic acid, DHA for short, had double the risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Other studies have had similar findings.
    To try to confirm their work, the team looked at data from a different prostate cancer trial called SELECT, for Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial. That study showed 17 more cases of prostate cancer among men who took vitamin E alone for about five years compared to men taking placebos.
    The effect was even stronger when they looked at omega-3 fatty acids ? specifically, the kinds found in fish oil as compared to those found in vegetable oils.
    Brasky?s team looked at 834 of the men in the SELECT trial who developed prostate cancer, and 1,393 randomly chosen others from the trial who didn?t have cancer. They divided the men into four groups based on their blood levels of three omega-3 fatty acids ? EPA, DPA and DHA.
    Those with the highest blood levels had a 71 percent higher risk of high-grade prostate cancer, compared to those with the lowest levels. Overall, their risk of any kind of prostate cancer was 44 percent higher.

The difference between the group with the highest levels of omega-3s in their blood and those with the lowest works out to about what someone would get by eating salmon twice a week, the researchers said.
    Fatty acids found in vegetable oils, flaxseeds and other vegetable sources ? including alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) ? did not affect prostate cancer risk, the researchers found.
    ?A 70 percent increased risk in high-grade prostate cancer, given it?s the No. 1 cancer in men and fish is a commonly consumed thing and is thought to be a healthy food, I think it?d be a concern for people,? Brasky said in a telephone interview.
    The American Cancer Society projects that 240,000 U.S. men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2013, and about 30,000 will die from it.
    "We've shown once again that use of nutritional supplements may be harmful," said Alan Kristal of Fred Hutchinson, who also worked on the study.
    Brasky, who says he still eats fish ?but in moderation?, says the study cannot answer the question of how fish oil might cause cancer. They took into account other factors that might be associated with eating fish and Brasky notes that mercury, which can be found in fatty fish, doesn?t cause prostate cancer.
    The study also doesn?t say anything about the effects of fish oil on men who already have cancer. ?This study is not about men with prostate cancer,? Brasky said, noting that some studies have suggested fish oil might be beneficial in men who already have cancer.
    Men might be at a loss for what to do, as omega-3 fatty acids were also believed to lower the risk of heart disease, which is far more common than prostate cancer. The American Heart Association recommends that people with heart disease eat fish twice a week and people with heart disease might need fish oil capsules.
    But the researchers point out that recent studies have shown taking extra omega-3 has little effect on heart disease ? including a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in May.
    Follow NBC News Health on Facebook, and follow Maggie Fox on Facebook and Twitter.

Tags:

Share on Facebook
    Discuss

More from NBCNews.com

Rep Points

How do you know they don't

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ctr10 View Post
    He's an Alaskan proctologist?

Rep Points

Keto! FTMFW!

Rep Points

Good question.

I posted information above that indicates Eskimos don't have problems.

But don't take anyone's word for it, do your own research.

Kenny Croxdale

Rep Points

I'm skeptical that taking a few grams of fish oil a day is bad for your health. I'm no doctor but fish oil has been shown to have many benefits, so i guess if it can be good it could also have some side effects. But I'm quite comfortable taking 2 to 2half tablespoons a day.

Rep Points

Not just industry slamming omega-3-prostate cancer links
    Reaction to last week?s study linking omega-3 with prostate cancer have been vociferous and near-unanimous in condemning its methods and conclusions. Here Alan Ruth, PhD, and CEO of the Irish Health Trade Association (IHTA), explains why that condemnation was justified and not just sourced from an industry concerned with defending its own patch.

http://www.nutraingredients.com/On-your-radar/Omega-3/Not-just-industry-slamming-omega-3-prostate-cancer-links

Rep Points

I watch the Discovery Channel and stay at alot of Holiday Inns

Rep Points

Ok, guess they do but not much. One thing that isnt mentioned here is that their turds freeze before they fall off so their turd cutters are extra strong to cut through that shit

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Sep;12(9):926-7.
    Inuit are protected against prostate cancer.

Dewailly E, Mulvad G, Sloth Pedersen H, Hansen JC, Behrendt N, Hart Hansen JP.
    Source

Public Health Research Unit, CHUQ-Laval University, Sainte-Foy, Qu?bec, G1V 5B3 Canada. eric.dewailly@crchul.ulaval.ca

Abstract

Incidence and mortality rates for prostate cancer are reported to be low among Inuit, but this finding must be additionally supported given the difficulty of obtaining a precise medical diagnosis in the Arctic. We conducted an autopsy study in 1990-1994 among 61 deceased males representative of all deaths occurring in Greenland and found only one invasive prostate cancer. Histological data were available for 27 autopsies and revealed no latent carcinoma. Our results suggest that in situ carcinoma is rare among Inuit and that their traditional diet, which is rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and selenium, may be an important protective factor.

Rep Points

Ok, guess they do but not much. One thing that isnt mentioned here is that their turds freeze before they fall off so their turd cutters are extra strong to cut through that shit

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Sep;12(9):926-7.
    Inuit are protected against prostate cancer.

Dewailly E, Mulvad G, Sloth Pedersen H, Hansen JC, Behrendt N, Hart Hansen JP.
    Source

Public Health Research Unit, CHUQ-Laval University, Sainte-Foy, Qu?bec, G1V 5B3 Canada. eric.dewailly@crchul.ulaval.ca

Abstract

Incidence and mortality rates for prostate cancer are reported to be low among Inuit, but this finding must be additionally supported given the difficulty of obtaining a precise medical diagnosis in the Arctic. We conducted an autopsy study in 1990-1994 among 61 deceased males representative of all deaths occurring in Greenland and found only one invasive prostate cancer. Histological data were available for 27 autopsies and revealed no latent carcinoma. Our results suggest that in situ carcinoma is rare among Inuit and that their traditional diet, which is rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and selenium, may be an important protective factor.

i think this is completely garbage. There is nothing wrong with fish oil it's one of the most natural supplements you can take. It is really a great addition to anyone's body. I take it daily with no problems at all. Not sure what studies were conducted but this does not sound right to me at all.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    i think this is completely garbage. There is nothing wrong with fish oil it's one of the most natural supplements you can take. It is really a great addition to anyone's body. I take it daily with no problems at all. Not sure what studies were conducted but this does not sound right to me at all.

It says as I copied that fish oil is good.