25% Off Black Friday Sale

strength gains = muscle mass?

dirty but nice

Rep Points

strength gains = muscle mass?

ok because its hard to tell whether you are adding muscle due to seeing yourself everyday, is it probable to say that if you are increasing in lifts you are geting bigger? presuming you train heavy and high volume. Hope this question makes sense..

cheers
    "a scientist who works out, your like Indiana Jones"..."I AM LIKE INDIANA JONES"

"dont hate me cause im beautiful baby, hate me cause your mother thinks so"

"You Can`t Flex Fat"

Rep Points

Only if you are taking in more calories than you are burning off.You can definately get stronger without a correlating increase in muscle size.Simply look at powerlifters ,especially in the lower weight classes.

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

They are correlated, but it certainly is not linear. But as a general rule of thumb, yes, you can assume as much.

I find, frequently, that strength gains happen first, then hypertrophy kicks in shortly thereafter.

Rep Points

On the flipside of the question.

What do you lose first, muscle or strength?

Rep Points

I apologize for being so broad. I would assume that you can keep muscle longer than strength if you continue to use the same weights and eat properly. Then I suppose you could assume that strength would hover if kept at the same weights and eatting properly.

Anymore incite on this?

Peak Physiques™
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Personally, strength. I imagine that differs.

dirty but nice

Rep Points

whats the difference in training principles between powerlifting and normal mass building training?
    "a scientist who works out, your like Indiana Jones"..."I AM LIKE INDIANA JONES"

"dont hate me cause im beautiful baby, hate me cause your mother thinks so"

Rep Points

powerlifters do a lot of triples, doubles, and singles along with speed work, use of chains, and bands to work for the explosive power. they do box squats of various heights to strengthen their squats in certain areas to help gain that explosiveness. pretty much all of powerlifting is optimizing form to become more explosive and strong. they don't care what they look like, at least most of them it seems anyways.

powerlifting focused mainly on their three lifts: deadlift, squat, and bench. any other work they do is to strengthen these lifts in some way.

mass building obvious focuses on getting a symmetrical look and a big look for some. so you're going to basically do those 3 fundamental lifts as well, but you add the extra lifts that work best for your physique.

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Measurements every 2-4 weeks sound good. I can say that I can gain or lose strength and not be any different in size measurably, and really there is no direct correlation but there is some kind of relation in most people no doubt. Size can't be compared from one person to the next though and mean that they lift the same weights even if they are the same height/weight, and you can keep your weight down in PL classes and still increase in strength.

Many PLs are not as large or lean as bodybuilders, yet they are generally the stronger of the two.

Rep range, rest periods (and days between bodyparts), are the two primary differences I'd say, but also they are going to stick to more compound movements where BBs will mix it up a bit more and do a higher volume of total sets, and reps.