• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Deadlift Grip

Robert Parrish

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Why a "reverse" grip I see so much, one palm facing in, other out? I was told it was for *balance*, but didn't quite understand what it does. And, if it is a good, recommended grip, should one be switching sides; right palm inward - left palm out first set, right palm outward left palm in second, and so on?

I do it because I can hold a lot more weight that way without having to use straps. I do alternate which hand faces in and the other out on every set.

I can't get myself to alternate. Feels like shooting a basketball with my left hand the other way :shrug:

Try to use double overhand as long as you can. Then when the weight gets to heavy to complete a rep or two because of your grip then switch to staggered grip.

Try to use double overhand as long as you can. Then when the weight gets to heavy to complete a rep or two because of your grip then switch to staggered grip.

This will help improve grip strength faster..IMHO

This message was sent by God

I use to use "over/under" grip a lot when I first started training but the last ten years have used a "double over". I also use straps all the time. This unfortunately has killed my regular grip:wits:

I cant change which hand is over/under. I'd say it's probably a good idea if you can do it.

Just remember that a reverse grip can put extra strain on biceps. Not a problem for most, but if you've had tears be careful. I tore my left bicep years ago, no longer use reverse grips.

i tend to start with a neutral grip and then move to mix grip

This exactly. I find it to be necessary on stiff-legged deads especially. Over-under simply improves grip, lets the weight just hang off your arms. And I switch each set, once I start

IML Gear Cream!
A mixed grip keeps the bar from rolling out of your hands.

I start with an overhand grip, then move to a mixed grip as the weight increases. Always use overhand when I use straps as well.

A mixed grip doesn't necessarily improve your grip strength, but it makes the mechanics of gripping easier.

The problem with the double overhand grip is that that bar wants to roll out of your hands. When you get to heavier weights this becomes more noticeable. I try to stick with double over hand (DOH) as long as possible to stimulate strength gains in the forearms, but switching to a mixed grip is often necessary when you progress to heavier weights.

When you switch to a mixed grip, gripping is easier because when the bar rolls OUT of one hand, it rolls INTO the other. This offers a counter-force that makes gripping the bar easier.

My max DOH pull is 405 lbs for a single, and I can't lift anything beyond that with that grip style. I've pulled 315x30 (I probably can't lift >10 reps with DOH), 405x8 and 485x1 with a mixed grip, and grip was never an issue. For me, switching to a mixed grip makes a HUGE difference and it is totally necessary if i want to increase my deadlift strength.

I've always read to stick with the double overhand grip until you can no longer hold the weight your deadlifting for reps without losing grip, then switch over to the mixed grip. Seeing how I'm just getting started lifting again, I don't think I'll be needing to switch anytime soon.

Back