• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Injecting for the newbie

Boba Fett

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
First off Id like to say hi as this is my first thread (other than intro) here on the forum. I'm completely overwhelmed by all there is to learn to say the least. Anyway, I'm sure this topic has been discussed a million and 1 times but I wanted my own thread so I ask for your kindness in responding.

My concern is striking a vein (or a nerve) while injecting and the possible consequences of injecting one or the other. I understand this is unlikely if following proper techniques but I still fear this heavily. I dont want to sound like a complete jackazz but I dont want to kill myself in my journey into gear. I'm only interested in buttox and delt injecting. Id also appreciate the explaining of aspirating injecting. Thanks in advance.

-Boba Fett

I only do glute and delt injections, so no worries 4 locations should allow enough site rotation for a while.

Its highly unlikely that you will hit a vein , but thats what aspirating is for. You get your needle seated in you and then just pull the plunger back ever so slightly, if you are on or in a veing blood will stream in to your barrel, if theres nothing then proceed to push that oil in !
As far as hitting a nerve, yeah well Its happened to me once or twice , it will be like a little jolt of electricity. Either pull out and re inject or just tip the needle slightly away from the nerve.

Dont get your self overly worked up, its pretty simple and painless. After a few you'll be comfortable in no time.

Use a 22guague 1.5 inch to draw the oil up, and then swith the needle to a 25 gau 1.5 for glute 25 gau 1.0 for delt.

I haven't hit a nerve yet but a few veins, I don't even have to pull the plunger because I get a knot as soon as it hits the vein. I draw with 18G and only pin with 25g x 1.5 inch and don't go all the way in on delts.

No need to aspirate brother. This is an old school method of giving injections. Many will argue this point....but they can't argue the facts given from the largest health organizations in the world. I made a post a while back about this, my sources are located on the bottom as well.

Aspirating, is old school. They don't even teach RNs to aspirate any more. Don't agree? Just ask the CDC, ACIP, DHS, AAFP, DOH, or the WHO. For them to say so, it holds water. I never aspirate, and have been using AAS for almost twenty years. Even with SQ injections.

The EBP and ACIP also do not recommend aspiration. Some argue not to aspirate vaccines, but to aspirate other drugs. Jet injections are not aspirated though. I know many who have been using AAS ED for many many years who have yet to aspirate. Read on...

According to the CDC they state-

"Aspiration - Aspiration is the process of pulling back on the plunger of the syringe prior to injection to ensure that the medication is not injected into a blood vessel. Although this practice is advocated by some experts, the procedure is not required because no large blood vessels exist at the recommended injection sites."

"Aspiration is not indicated for SC injections..."

"Aspiration is not indicated for IM injections..."

STTI International Nursing Research Congress Vancouver, July 2009

Organizations which state aspiration is not necessary:

Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
Department of Health Services (DHS)
American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
U.K. Department of Health (DoH)
World Health Organization (WHO)

References:

1. Atkinson, W. L., Pickering, L. K., Schwartz, B., Weniger, B. G., Iskander, J. K., & Watson, J. C. (2002). General Recommendations on Immunization: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 51, RR2. 1-33.

2. Chiodini, J. (2001). Best practice in vaccine administration. Nursing Standard, 16(7), 35-38.

3. Diggle, L. (2007). Injection technique for immunization. Practice Nurse, 33(1), 34-37.

4. Gammel, J. A. (1927). Arterial embolism: an unusual complication following the intramuscular administration of bismuth. Journal of the American Medical Association, 88, 998-1000.

5. Ipp, M., Taddio, A., Sam, J., Goldbach, M., & Parkin, P. C. (2007). Vaccine related pain: randomized controlled trial of two injection technique Archives of Disease in Childhood,92,1105-1108.

6. Li, J.T., Lockey, R. F., Bernstein, I. L., Portnoy, J. M., & Nicklas, R. A. (2003). Allergen immunotherapy: A practice parameter. Annuals of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology, 1-40.

7. Livermore, P. (2003). Teaching home administration of sub-cutaneous methotrexate. Paediatric Nursing, 15(3), 28-32.

8. Middleton, D. B., Zimmerman, R. K., & Mitchell, K. B. (2003). Vaccine schedules and procedures, 2003. The Journal of Family Practice, 52(1), S36-S46.

9. Nicoli, L. H., & Hesby, A. (2002). Intramuscular injection: An integrative research review and guidelines for evidence-based practice. Applied Nursing Research,16(2), 149-162.

10. Ozel, A., Yavuz, H., & Erkul, I. (1995). Gangrene after penicillin injection: A case report. The Turkish Journal of Pediatrics, 37(1), 567-71.

11. Peragallo-Dittko, V. (1995). Aspiration of the subcutaneous insulin injection: Clinical evaluation of needle size and amount of subcutaneous fat. The Diabetes Educator, 21(4), 291-296.

12. Roger, M. A., & King, L. (2000). Drawing up and administering intramuscular injections: A review of the literature. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 31(3), 574-582.

13. Talbert, J. L., Haslam, R. H. & Haller, J. A. (1967). Gangrene of the foot following intramuscular injection in the lateral thigh: A case report with recommendations for prevention. The Journal of Pediatrics, 70(1), 110-114.

14. Workman, B. (1999). Safe injection techniques. Nursing Standard, 13 (39), 47-53.

15. World Health Organization (2004). Immunization in Practice, Module 6: Holding an immunization session. Immunization in Practice: A practical resource guide for health workers ?2004 update,1-29.

16. Center for Nursing History at Misericordia University: http://www.misericordia.edu17. Levels of Evidence, Canadian Medical Association & Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (2001). Available at:http://www.cebm.net/index18. Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2005). Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare: A Guide to Best Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.

I haven't hit a nerve yet but a few veins, I don't even have to pull the plunger because I get a knot as soon as it hits the vein. I draw with 18G and only pin with 25g x 1.5 inch and don't go all the way in on delts.

Can you elobarate on what you mean when you say "I get a knot"....Thank you.
Also would like to know y u dont go all the way in on the delts...

Thank you all very kindly for such informative responses. Hey VictorZ06, just curious, are you into vettes (your screen name)??

if you hurt a vein you kind of knot up...think of what a muscle knot feels like

a lot of times when you do you'll pass right through the vein and the only real health repercussion thats likely is a bruise..youre not preventing the bruise once you've done it and youre not gonna hit an artery...you'll be fine.
hitting a nerve feels exactly like described above ...a little shock..it smarts but it wont kill you. I hit a nerve once and I wasn't looking at what I was doing at all and the little zap was only mildly unpleasant...its no big deal

I recommend trying to inject some saline to practice and get over your fear if youre that psyched out about it.

my other half will not pin himself, lol so don't feel bad.

last night in fact I was taunting him by stepping out of the bathroom to show him I was pinning myself and said "see, this is how adults handle their aas"
:) it'll be fine..promise.

Thank you all very kindly for such informative responses. Hey VictorZ06, just curious, are you into vettes (your screen name)??

Yes, I am. My ride is a C6 Z06 with all the bells and whistles. I love gears as much as love gear! lol Now please go read our stickies and rules so we can help you in that other thread you posted. I'd hate to have to close it.

/V

Victor , Its funny the nurse that gives me my B6 shots never aspirates. I never wanted to ask her because I figured it was rude of me to question her, but your explanation makes sense now.
I had even heard somewhere that aspiration, particularly with a Sub q injection causes trauma to the area.

Victor , Its funny the nurse that gives me my B6 shots never aspirates. I never wanted to ask her because I figured it was rude of me to question her, but your explanation makes sense now.
I had even heard somewhere that aspiration, particularly with a Sub q injection causes trauma to the area.

That is correct bro, a lot of guys I train with aspirate....and when I ask them why, I get an array of different answers. But when I ask them if they have ever seen a doctor or a nurse aspirate when they give them an injection...they all say no. There really is no need, if you hit something going in...you will know it right away by how high you jump. Just pull out, change pins, and pick another site to inject. Besides, aspirating usually causes one to leave the pin in the muscle for a longer duration of time, it also causes one to have the pin wiggle around a little bit. Well...that little bit of wiggling around over time will cause access scar tissue. I don't pull this shit out of thin air, I've had actual MDs tell me this.

/V

IML Gear Cream!
if you hurt a vein you kind of knot up...think of what a muscle knot feels like

a lot of times when you do you'll pass right through the vein and the only real health repercussion thats likely is a bruise..youre not preventing the bruise once you've done it and youre not gonna hit an artery...you'll be fine.
hitting a nerve feels exactly like described above ...a little shock..it smarts but it wont kill you. I hit a nerve once and I wasn't looking at what I was doing at all and the little zap was only mildly unpleasant...its no big deal

I recommend trying to inject some saline to practice and get over your fear if youre that psyched out about it.

my other half will not pin himself, lol so don't feel bad.

last night in fact I was taunting him by stepping out of the bathroom to show him I was pinning myself and said "see, this is how adults handle their aas"
:) it'll be fine..promise.
Thanks for the info!!!

Yes, I am. My ride is a C6 Z06 with all the bells and whistles. I love gears as much as love gear! lol Now please go read our stickies and rules so we can help you in that other thread you posted. I'd hate to have to close it.

/V

Other thread fixed n thanks. Nice on the Z. Had two of them. Last 1 was blown with about 7 to the wheels. Z's are where its at!!

Nice on the Z. Had two of them. Last 1 was blown with about 7 to the wheels. Z's are where its at!!

Yep, I love em. I'm torn if I should trade it in for a low mile ZR1....not a fan of the newer one (aside from the interior). So instead, I'm going to go further than just a cam and header package, having them replaced and going for a TT set up. I'll eat ZR1s for breakfast, I can just about do so with my cam and headers. Going to get it done after the new year. Would have gone with the new C7, but I can't stand the Camaro ass that is has. YUCK!

Sorry for the OT guys.

/V

great post, thanks victor, I will add that I never aspirated a SQ shot or was ever told to do so by doctors.
No need to aspirate brother. This is an old school method of giving injections. Many will argue this point....but they can't argue the facts given from the largest health organizations in the world. I made a post a while back about this, my sources are located on the bottom as well.

Aspirating, is old school. They don't even teach RNs to aspirate any more. Don't agree? Just ask the CDC, ACIP, DHS, AAFP, DOH, or the WHO. For them to say so, it holds water. I never aspirate, and have been using AAS for almost twenty years. Even with SQ injections.

The EBP and ACIP also do not recommend aspiration. Some argue not to aspirate vaccines, but to aspirate other drugs. Jet injections are not aspirated though. I know many who have been using AAS ED for many many years who have yet to aspirate. Read on...

"Aspiration - Aspiration is the process of pulling back on the plunger of the syringe prior to injection to ensure that the medication is not injected into a blood vessel. Although this practice is advocated by some experts, the procedure is not required because no large blood vessels exist at the recommended injection sites."

References:

1. Atkinson, W. L., Pickering, L. K., Schwartz, B., Weniger, B. G., Iskander, J. K., & Watson, J. C. (2002). General Recommendations on Immunization: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 51, RR2. 1-33.

2. Chiodini, J. (2001). Best practice in vaccine administration. Nursing Standard, 16(7), 35-38.

3. Diggle, L. (2007). Injection technique for immunization. Practice Nurse, 33(1), 34-37.

4. Gammel, J. A. (1927). Arterial embolism: an unusual complication following the intramuscular administration of bismuth. Journal of the American Medical Association, 88, 998-1000.

5. Ipp, M., Taddio, A., Sam, J., Goldbach, M., & Parkin, P. C. (2007). Vaccine related pain: randomized controlled trial of two injection technique Archives of Disease in Childhood,92,1105-1108.

6. Li, J.T., Lockey, R. F., Bernstein, I. L., Portnoy, J. M., & Nicklas, R. A. (2003). Allergen immunotherapy: A practice parameter. Annuals of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology, 1-40.

7. Livermore, P. (2003). Teaching home administration of sub-cutaneous methotrexate. Paediatric Nursing, 15(3), 28-32.

8. Middleton, D. B., Zimmerman, R. K., & Mitchell, K. B. (2003). Vaccine schedules and procedures, 2003. The Journal of Family Practice, 52(1), S36-S46.

9. Nicoli, L. H., & Hesby, A. (2002). Intramuscular injection: An integrative research review and guidelines for evidence-based practice. Applied Nursing Research,16(2), 149-162.

10. Ozel, A., Yavuz, H., & Erkul, I. (1995). Gangrene after penicillin injection: A case report. The Turkish Journal of Pediatrics, 37(1), 567-71.

11. Peragallo-Dittko, V. (1995). Aspiration of the subcutaneous insulin injection: Clinical evaluation of needle size and amount of subcutaneous fat. The Diabetes Educator, 21(4), 291-296.

12. Roger, M. A., & King, L. (2000). Drawing up and administering intramuscular injections: A review of the literature. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 31(3), 574-582.

13. Talbert, J. L., Haslam, R. H. & Haller, J. A. (1967). Gangrene of the foot following intramuscular injection in the lateral thigh: A case report with recommendations for prevention. The Journal of Pediatrics, 70(1), 110-114.

14. Workman, B. (1999). Safe injection techniques. Nursing Standard, 13 (39), 47-53.

15. World Health Organization (2004). Immunization in Practice, Module 6: Holding an immunization session. Immunization in Practice: A practical resource guide for health workers ?2004 update,1-29.

16. Center for Nursing History at Misericordia University: http://www.misericordia.edu17. Levels of Evidence, Canadian Medical Association & Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (2001). Available at:http://www.cebm.net/index18. Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2005). Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare: A Guide to Best Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.

Yep, I love em. I'm torn if I should trade it in for a low mile ZR1....not a fan of the newer one (aside from the interior). So instead, I'm going to go further than just a cam and header package, having them replaced and going for a TT set up. I'll eat ZR1s for breakfast, I can just about do so with my cam and headers. Going to get it done after the new year. Would have gone with the new C7, but I can't stand the Camaro ass that is has. YUCK!

Sorry for the OT guys.

/V

LMAO-thats exactly what I did. I took off the blower and all the other goodies (performance and cosmetic), sold the Z and got an 11 ZR. I heavily considered fully rebuilding and going twin turbo (over 26 g's when said and done) but decided to just get the ZR. No regrets. Only mod right now is the Akrapovic exhaust. Oh and yea, agree fully agree bout the C7 wack azz rear end!! K, sorry as well for the OT - Good luck if you follow through with the tt setup, and give me holla. Would like to know all bout it.

LMAO-thats exactly what I did. I took off the blower and all the other goodies (performance and cosmetic), sold the Z and got an 11 ZR. I heavily considered fully rebuilding and going twin turbo (over 26 g's when said and done) but decided to just get the ZR. No regrets. Only mod right now is the Akrapovic exhaust. Oh and yea, agree fully agree bout the C7 wack azz rear end!! K, sorry as well for the OT - Good luck if you follow through with the tt setup, and give me holla. Would like to know all bout it.

Good taste brother. The ONE AND ONLY reason why I would take the ZR1 path is because of the warranty. But, if I take that path...I won't have any fun modding and building it the way I want. To get what I want done, I'm looking at $30...with everything under the hood including forging the bottom end and a real suspension set up. A good chunk of that will go to Caravagio for a custom interior that I want, and to insulate the cabin so I can keep my B&B straight pipe bullet set up, and still be able to use a cell phone in the car when needed. I live in the US and in Greece, I currently have my Z06 stateside, but after I'm done tricking her out, I'm sending her to Greece. Funny thing...when it's time to tune her at the end of the day, my family and I have brought over in several bottles in our suitcases of 105 "Greek" octane fuel. This way I can have it tuned using the right gas...or else using 105 octane fuel will be a waste if the car isn't tuned for it. I'm almost ready to do it, first thing that needs to be done is to do an engine detail. I'm getting all the work with the shop that works on most my cars with a 1 year warranty.

ARGH!! Again....so sorry for the OT talk guys. I get carried away sometimes. My bad. Can I neg myself? lol

/V

Aspirating tends to move the needle around too much for my liking, and you're lining up for pip when you do that.

Aspirating tends to move the needle around too much for my liking, and you're lining up for pip when you do that.

Yep! And I'm not a fan of scar tissue. Good man. I'm amazed how many people don't know this shit....

/V

Good taste brother. The ONE AND ONLY reason why I would take the ZR1 path is because of the warranty. But, if I take that path...I won't have any fun modding and building it the way I want. To get what I want done, I'm looking at $30...with everything under the hood including forging the bottom end and a real suspension set up. A good chunk of that will go to Caravagio for a custom interior that I want, and to insulate the cabin so I can keep my B&B straight pipe bullet set up, and still be able to use a cell phone in the car when needed. I live in the US and in Greece, I currently have my Z06 stateside, but after I'm done tricking her out, I'm sending her to Greece. Funny thing...when it's time to tune her at the end of the day, my family and I have brought over in several bottles in our suitcases of 105 "Greek" octane fuel. This way I can have it tuned using the right gas...or else using 105 octane fuel will be a waste if the car isn't tuned for it. I'm almost ready to do it, first thing that needs to be done is to do an engine detail. I'm getting all the work with the shop that works on most my cars with a 1 year warranty.

ARGH!! Again....so sorry for the OT talk guys. I get carried away sometimes. My bad. Can I neg myself? lol

/V

Ok STOP!! Im too new to get negged...! Caravagio is da chit!!!!

what is pip?

Post injection pain. Usually a day or two after the injection, not immediately following.

Victor, thanks for the great info. I was not aware of the medical community's position on aspirating. Has anyone that does aspirated ever drawn blood?

IML Gear Cream!
Post injection pain. Usually a day or two after the injection, not immediately following.

Victor, thanks for the great info. I was not aware of the medical community's position on aspirating. Has anyone that does aspirated ever drawn blood?

Thanks Bud!!

Thinking about it I have not, and I know I have knicked a vein before because of the blood, but after reading this thread I will no longer be aspirating...Thanks VictorZ06

I pin thighs, glutes, delts, biceps, and sometimes triceps with 25g needle. Pin lots of other places with slin pin.

Thinking about it I have not, and I know I have knicked a vein before because of the blood, but after reading this thread I will no longer be aspirating...Thanks VictorZ06

You are very welcome. Just trying to get rid of some of these old school myths.

/V

References:

100% correct. I work for a college with RN, BSN, MLS, Radiological science and all sorts of pre med programs. Aspiration is not only not taught but it isn't even mentioned in relation to giving IM injections and this is for the exact reason given by Victor. If you inject in the correct areas there is no chance of hitting a large enough vessel to matter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I never aspirate. Well, maybe once in a thousand injects but its extremely rare. There is no way I could aspirate without the needle moving around so I always figured there was no reason to do it.

there is no way to inject without the needle moving any ways. You can aspirate and be fine and then start the injection and then go into a vain. The chances of injecting all the oil into a vain are slim to non. With the amount of moving around and pushing you do when pinning you will most likely just get seepage into the vain. I do aspirate just because its more of a habit for me. Out of 3 years of pinning eod i have drawn blood into a syringe once. I have got oil into my vains once and holy shit lol thats a feeling you will never forget.

As for nerves i pin quads and shoulders and i hit a nerve in quads often just feels like your leg is going to fly in the air and you get a sharp pain. The pain is not bad, nothing to cry about or not pin. Just man shit you have to deal with if you want to play the game.

Back