NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Lower back pain on leg ext?

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Lower back pain on leg ext?

I'm getting lower back pain when I do leg extensions (even light weight). Hurts as I get to the top of the movement. Anyone else experience this? Also happens on leg press when I get to the lockout position. Yet back is fine for any type of squat. Seems to just happen when my knees are straightening and hips flexing simultaneously. Any ideas?
    ElitePeptides.com
    Discount Code: superlift15
    Lowest Prices Online!

Rep Points

Watch the way your hips and butt are positioned in the seat. I found that sometimes when my body is not in the right seated position, I have a bit of pain in my lower back down to my tail bone. Hope this helps!

Rep Points

Thats different, I heard of lower back pain on leg curls but never extensions

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Even if Im sitting on a chair and I extend my legs in a "leg extension" motion. Still hurts.
    ElitePeptides.com
    Discount Code: superlift15
    Lowest Prices Online!

Regular user

Rep Points

Your hamstrings are too "short". Had the same problem until I gained some damn "flexibility" in the area. Stretch them and I guarantee it will get better.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gissurjon View Post
    Your hamstrings are too "short". Had the same problem until I gained some damn "flexibility" in the area. Stretch them and I guarantee it will get better.

Short Hamstrings
    Dena Glazer | Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher

This could definitely one of the factors.

If the hamstrings are too tight they created low back pain.

Car Analogy

It the steering wheel of a car shaking when you drive. The problems is that the wheels are out of balanced and shake.

Thus, causing the steering wheel to shake.

Short/lack of flexibility in the hamstrings (as Gissurjon) stated is a factor in low back pain.

Strong Back

I have a strong back. However, my back use to hurt.

What I found by accident was that Elevated Deadlifts and Good Mornings not only worked the posterior chain but stretched my hamstrings out.

Back Hyperextension

Another factor in why Leg Extension and the Leg Press may be causing back pain it that in you may be hyperextending your back with these lift.

Hyperextending usually occurs when you are using more weight than you can handle. Thus, to get it up you do whatever it takes.

What ends up happening is by hyperextending your lower back you generate more force.

Hips and Butt

If your hips and butt are coming up in a Leg Extension ( like Therealone80 indicated), you are arching your back.

You may also be arching your back in the Leg Press. That will create some back tension.

Head Position

If you "look up at the sky" (hyperextend your neck) in a movement, most likely you are hyperextending your back.

Your head is like the rudder on a boat. It determine where you go with your body position.

Neck Packing

What you want to do in lifting is maintain a Neutral Neck Position.

Neck Packing insure you maintain a Neutral Neck Position.

That means you are going to maintain a Neutral Spine Position rather than hyperextending your lower back.

Kenny Croxdale

Rep Points

^ great post above

is the pain centralized in your back or spreading down your legs? feels like pressure on lower back? be very careful with any lower back injuries man

Rep Points

Skip leg extensions. Worthless exercise anyway.

Team Supervisor
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Funny I read this..I had a similar instance some years ago doing the same exact movement..I went to the ER one day because the pain hurt that bad, I got some -XRAYS only to find out that I had Spondylolysis/Spondylolisthesis..The experts claim it effects mostly adolescence athletes,and or genetics..Long and behold,I have a rack in the lower vertebra,the position is off and puts pressure on nerves on the area when i lay in a certain positions, or do a certain movements!

I'd look into this man..