An Ancient City Is Discovered Underwater. What They Found Will Change History Forever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chemistry Experiment
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

An Ancient City Is Discovered Underwater. What They Found Will Change History Forever

Posted on: December 1, 2013 - By Sunny Skyz

Photos: Christoph Gerigk @Franck Goddio Hilti Foundation

The city of Heracleion was engulfed underwater 1500 years ago. This grand city had been mentioned by the Greek writer Herodotus, the 5th-century BC historian. He had told a wonderful tale of Helen of Troy, who traveled to Heracleion, then a port of 'great wealth', with her Trojan lover, Paris.

When French marine archaeologist Franck Goddio stumbled upon some relics, it led them to one of the greatest finds of the 21st century; a city underwater. The discovery took place when Goddio had been in search of Napoleon?s warships from the 1798 Battle of the Nile, when he had been defeated by Nelson in these very waters, but to his surprise, he stumbled upon this magnificent discovery.

Here the team retrieves the statue of the god Hapi

More and more statues are brought to surface, still in excellent condition

The discoveries include the colossal statues of the Egyptian goddess Isis, the god Hapi, and an unidentified Egyptian pharaoh, all preserved in excellent condition by their muddy burial shroud. Along with these 16ft statues there are hundreds of smaller statues of Egyptian gods, among them the figures that guarded the temple where Cleopatra who was inaugurated as Queen of the Nile. Dozens of sarcophagi have also been found, containing the bodies of mummified animals sacrificed to Amun-Gereb, the supreme god of the Egyptians. Many amulets, or religious charms, have been unearthed, too, showing gods such as Isis, Osiris and Horus.

A red granite sculpture of a Ptolemaic queen

A gold vessel, which is a shallow dish used throughout the Hellenistic world for drinking

A bronze statuette of a Pharoah of the 26th dynasty

An ancient lamp is discovered during the search

Here an archaelogist measures the feet of a colossal red granite statue

The god Hapi was the god of the flooding of the Nile, a symbol of abundance and fertility

A 1.9m inscribed pillar, commissioned by Nectanebo I (378-362 BC)

Evidence shows that Heracleion slipped into its watery grave sometime in the 6th or 7th century AD. The discovery of Heracleion will now add depth and detail to our knowledge of the ancient world, because among the discoveries, there are perfectly preserved inscribed pillars decorated with hieroglyphics.
    Source

IronMagLabs 15% Off Coupon Code = heavyiron15

IronMag Research Now Open! - heavyiron15 for 15% off!

Buy Syringes No Prescription
    All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a medical doctor before using any medications or supplements. Heavyiron does not advocate readers engage in any illegal activity.

Still growin
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Very cool, I love stuff like this
    I'll get there or Die trying...

BOARD REP

Rep Points

this stuff is so cool! dont like learning about history but to uncover stuff like this would be awesome!

**All information discussed is for entertainment purposes only!**

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Very cool, this world has many more secrets left to be revealed.

Rep Points

so interesting..love stuff like this and actually love to learn about history

IronMagLabs Discount Code for 15% off ~~ Sheriv15

~~~~Use "Sheriv15" a coupon code for 15% off at IronMag research~~~~

Amalist@securenym.net

BOARD REP

Rep Points

What a great article Heavy! This is beautiful!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

This is cool. I really have a feeling that the human story is actually much longer than most historians believe.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

The earth is approximately 300 million years old maybe a little older. Im sure humanity's history is far older then the 2500 years the Christians believe or the 4500 - 5000 plus years of the written history of the Chinese and Jewish people. I read some where its closer to 40,000 years but it's probably older than that.
    Come on over we love to have you: www.anabolicsteroidforums.com

.45 ACP rules!

Rep Points

I love reading about archeology finds that turn history on its ear and causes things to be rewritten.
    If gunners were as violent as anti-gunners believe, logically there wouldn't be any anti-gunners left.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post
    The earth is approximately 300 million years old maybe a little older. Im sure humanity's history is far older then the 2500 years the Christians believe or the 4500 - 5000 plus years of the written history of the Chinese and Jewish people. I read some where its closer to 40,000 years but it's probably older than that.
    Actually Christians believe the earth and humans are only 5,000 years old, which I cannot understand in this day and age and the amount of technology we have why people continue to read and believe a story book written centuries ago by people that had a tiny fraction of the knowledge and science available today.

www.IronMagLabs.com

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Were talking billions of years. The Q is how long humans have been here. They want you to believe the 5000 yr theory, cause if you believe that, you'll believe anything!

Some of those megaliths go back 10,000's of years.

And what about the annunaki who supposedly created humans, if you subscribe to that theory. Me myself, I find that just as easy if not more so than that jesus bullshit.

.45 ACP rules!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post
    Actually Christians believe the earth and humans are only 5,000 years old, which I cannot understand in this day and age and the amount of technology we have why people continue to read and believe a story book written centuries ago by people that had a tiny fraction of the knowledge and science available today.

IronMagLabs Bodybuilding Supplements & Prohormones: Home
    You forget that the christians are largely responsible for the Dark Ages?
    If gunners were as violent as anti-gunners believe, logically there wouldn't be any anti-gunners left.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

So, it was the Christians that caused the fall of the Roman Empire that led to the Dark Ages? The over extension of Roman military power, corrupt Roman government and the Visigoths had nothing to do with it. Just a small minority religion did it all? Who would have thunk it.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dogsoldier View Post
    So, it was the Christians that caused the fall of the Roman Empire that led to the Dark Ages? The over extension of Roman military power, corrupt Roman government and the Visigoths had nothing to do with it. Just a small minority religion did it all? Who would have thunk it.
    The learned folks focus on the reasons listed last; as they are the real ones. Christianity was not much of a force to be reckoned with until the Crusades if my memory serves me right.
    AY Fan Club President.

"Damn, sometimes I think you guys make being stupid seem like a skill set." - Troubador

AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dogsoldier View Post
    I really have a feeling that the human story is actually much longer than most historians believe.
    Pretty much. The theory is that the ancients were utilizing zero point energy modules and mastered sacred geometry 10K+ years ago. Taught by whom is still a mystery...but the knowledge was kept within the priest class. Priest class always keeps mans true nature and abilities hidden, in order to control him. And that remains to this day.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/threads/200295-SFW-s-AbaXen-Journal-A-Summer-Blast
    $100 MINIMUM ORDER. FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $150! DISCOUNT CODE = freeship15
    ORDERS OVER $250 AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED TO WIN $250 IN FREE PRODUCTS!
    ANY ORDER CONTAINING 1 BOTTLE OF A BLEND GETS FREE SHIPPING!

Rep Points

How in the hell does this always turn into a bashing Christians thing? The general population of Christianity does not believe the earth is 5K years old. The referenced article wouldn't prove, or disprove any of that anyways as it is about a city that disappeared into the sea 1500 years ago. This has nothing to do with Christianity yet, you retards and fuck ups continue to try and push this stupid science vs religion bull shit. The article is about how history has discovered something new, and our understanding has changed. Obviously our knowledge of science and history is incomplete. The fact we make new discoveries everyday that changes our fundamental understanding of the world around us shows that. To turn Science into your own religion makes you as bad as those you rail against you claim the world is 5k years old. How can you not figure that out?

Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    Sheep get their news from the media, I get my news from Facebook. That's where the real unbiased news is found. any everyone from IM that is friends with me on FB knows this.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bio-chem View Post
    How in the hell does this always turn into a bashing Christians thing? The general population of Christianity does not believe the earth is 5K years old. The referenced article wouldn't prove, or disprove any of that anyways as it is about a city that disappeared into the sea 1500 years ago. This has nothing to do with Christianity yet, you retards and fuck ups continue to try and push this stupid science vs religion bull shit. The article is about how history has discovered something new, and our understanding has changed. Obviously our knowledge of science and history is incomplete. The fact we make new discoveries everyday that changes our fundamental understanding of the world around us shows that. To turn Science into your own religion makes you as bad as those you rail against you claim the world is 5k years old. How can you not figure that out?

I am not bashing Christians, I am just saying they believe that the world is only 5,000 years old because a book written thousands of years ago said so is like believing the world is flat. And yes, that is what the majorities of Christians believe, the earth was created in 6 days , remember?

Yet current science believes the world is about 4.5 billion years old, quite a discrepancy huh?

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

DRSE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

anyone else think of "lost"

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    You forget that the christians are largely responsible for the Dark Ages?
    There was no "Dark Ages."

Team RamRod

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    There was no "Dark Ages."

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFarva View Post
    Whenever I head someone mention the Dark Ages, they get an immediate F in history. It just fucking amazes me the amount of non-facts that people repeat without ever bothering to learn if it's true or not.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Whenever I head someone mention the Dark Ages, they get an immediate F in history. It just fucking amazes me the amount of non-facts that people repeat without ever bothering to learn if it's true or not.
    What do you call it, the Brown Ages, when Arabs were making strides...???
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post
    I am not bashing Christians, I am just saying they believe that the world is only 5,000 years old because a book written thousands of years ago said so is like believing the world is flat. And yes, that is what the majorities of Christians believe, the earth was created in 6 days , remember?

Yet current science believes the world is about 4.5 billion years old, quite a discrepancy huh?
    1. No, Christians as a whole don't believe the earth is 5K years old. Only a small fraction of fundamentalists would you be able to find who would say they believe that. It's actually pretty funny that you, an individual who doesn't believe in Christianity would try and speak for those who do.

2. Can you please explain the relevance of Christianity to a city that slipped into the sea 1500 years ago? It's quite comical when you post factually incorrect, and so astoundingly off topic information.
    Sheep get their news from the media, I get my news from Facebook. That's where the real unbiased news is found. any everyone from IM that is friends with me on FB knows this.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bio-chem View Post
    1. No, Christians as a whole don't believe the earth is 5K years old. Only a small fraction of fundamentalists would you be able to find who would say they believe that. It's actually pretty funny that you, an individual who doesn't believe in Christianity would try and speak for those who do.

2. Can you please explain the relevance of Christianity to a city that slipped into the sea 1500 years ago? It's quite comical when you post factually incorrect, and so astoundingly off topic information.
    Some Christians live by the Golden Rule and don't pay attention to the fables...
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    Some Christians live by the Golden Rule and don't pay attention to the fables...
    The world would be a better place regardless of belief if more people followed that rule.

It would be better as well if people weren't trying to use religion, or science to argue against each other.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Christians are busy doing what they always do when it comes to the truth..

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Christians are busy doing what they always do when it comes to the truth..

I've got $20 bucks that says it was a Christian who found this city.

Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

What do you call it, the Brown Ages
    It was the age in which all the ground work work was done all the amazing that suddenly appeared in the Renaissance. In other words, it was just another age of learning. You may refer to it as the Middle Ages.

Let me address the next part.

when Arabs were making strides...???
    Bwahahahaha!

The Arabs haven't done jack since converting to Islam in the 7th and 8th centuries (some areas came later). They did far more under the old Egyptians gods. At best, they rode the coattails of the previous era, the Greeks, and the Romans. People like to talk about that era being the Golden Age of Arabs, but quiet often the so-called achievements aren't named, were minor by Western standards or simply not of Arab origin. Take catgut (using intestinal wall material for suturing wounds). It's claimed to be of Arab origin since it was created in the Arab world, Turkey to be precise. In fact, it was created by a Roman -- Galen -- living in Turkey. Hell, most of the Arab advancements in Medicine was mostly Galen's work. The Muslim-Arab discovery of breast cancer? Beaten by the Egyptian by almost 4000 years. The Muslim-Arab invention of using windmills to power irrigation? Greeks in the first century BC. At best, they codified trigonometry. The so-called Golden Age of the Arab world reads like African-American studies. Something that's supposed to make you feel good if you're in that group -- the facts be damned.

Stuff that was discovered in the West in the Middle Ages? The heavy plow, eye glasses, hourglass, tidal mills, blast furnace, mechanical clock, and the printing press.

Dark Ages, my ass.
    Last edited by DOMS; 12-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

It was the age in which all the ground work work was done all the amazing that suddenly appeared in the Renaissance. In other words, it was just another age of learning. You may refer to it as the Middle Ages.

Let me address the next part.

Bwahahahaha!

The Arabs haven't done jack since converting to Islam in the 7th and 8th centuries (some areas came later). They did far more under the old Egyptians gods. At best, they rode the coattails of the previous era, the Greeks, and the Romans. People like to talk about that era being the Golden Age of Arabs, but quiet often the so-called achievements aren't named, were minor by Western standards or simply not of Arab origin. Take catgut (using intestinal wall material for suturing wounds). It's claimed to be of Arab origin since it was created in the Arab world, Turkey to be precise. In fact, it was created by a Roman -- Galen -- living in Turkey. Hell, most of the Arab advancements in Medicine was mostly Galen's work. The Muslim-Arab discovery of breast cancer? Beaten by the Egyptian by almost 4000 years. The Muslim-Arab invention of using windmills to power irrigation? Greeks in the first century BC. At best, they codified trigonometry. The so-called Golden Age of the Arab world reads like African-American studies. Something that's supposed to make you feel good if you're in that group -- the facts be damned.

Stuff that was discovered in the West in the Middle Ages? The heavy plow, eye glasses, hourglass, tidal mills, blast furnace, mechanical clock, and the printing press.

Dark Ages, my ass.

Always appreciate all of your post ...Thanks

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Me being a nerd myself....this is fucking awesome.
    Anything said by exerciseordie is for educational purposes only! PERIOD!!!! Don't do illegal shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast