NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Good Home Gym for Starters (14yo Boys)

Yuppie

Rep Points

Question Good Home Gym for Starters (14yo Boys)

Hey, All.
    I've got kid brothers who are interested in starting to weight train, but may have limited access to a real gym, with consideration to transportation, cost and proper supervision (still investigating options). They live about eight hours from me, so I'd like to look at home gym options to get them started sooner than later. Any recommendations? I was thinking about an "all in one" type of workout station with some sort of free weights (when I was younger, I had a bench with detachable curls). Not sure what the options look like today. Does it make sense to buy online, or is best bet generally local?

-Kent

Rep Points

Try to find used. You can usually buy lightly used fitness equipment for a fraction of the cost of new.

I would look into Olympic style free weights. A good set can last them a long time and it will be the same style they use in a gym.

One of the most valuable tools you can give them is knowledge. Look into some books like starting strength or even Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding. Arnold's book has some outdated stuff but the excersize diagrams are good and the basic information is there. If nothing else, it is a starting point.

Rep Points

You can look on Craigslist. You could find a used Bowflex super cheap there. This would work great for a beginner to strengthen ligaments and joints and it will always be worth what you paid for it so easily sold later.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KentDog View Post
    Hey, All.
    I've got kid brothers who are interested in starting to weight train, but may have limited access to a real gym, with consideration to transportation, cost and proper supervision (still investigating options). They live about eight hours from me, so I'd like to look at home gym options to get them started sooner than later. Any recommendations? I was thinking about an "all in one" type of workout station with some sort of free weights (when I was younger, I had a bench with detachable curls). Not sure what the options look like today. Does it make sense to buy online, or is best bet generally local?

-Kent
    Dumbbells/Bench

Dumbbells and a bench is all they need.

The nice thing about dumbbells is that they won't get the bar stuck on their neck when benching, take up less space and the low cost.

The downside is they are going to drop them at some point and drop them on the floor...not good for the the floor or dumbbell.

Kenny Croxdale

Rep Points

xxx

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Robcyn View Post
    You can look on Craigslist. You could find a used Bowflex super cheap there. This would work great for a beginner to strengthen ligaments and joints and it will always be worth what you paid for it so easily sold later.
    Bowflex

It is a piece of crap.

Bowflex Equipment Recalled
    Bowflex Equipment Recalled - CBS News

"The makers of the popular Bowflex fitness machine are recalling nearly 800,000 units after dozens of people reported injuries from mechanical problems..."

Gear Trends Magazine

Bowflex (part of Nautilus) Won "The Worst Service Award" four straight years in "Gear Trends" magazine. Gear Trends is a retail magazine that did surveys for the fitness industry.

As "Gear Trends" magazine stated, Bowflex/Nautilus blew the competition away in the "Worst Service" catagory...not a catagory you want to win.

Kenny Croxdale

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

A big X 1,000 to all those suggesting looking for used stuff. Most people who buy home equipment are just like the New Years Resolutionists who join a gym, go once or twice and then never again. There's tons of high quality equipment out there that can be had for pennis on the dollar.

My suggestion, depending on how much room they have, is to start with a power rack. You can do anything and everything with that. Add an adjustable bench, a set of olympic weights and you've got the makings of a couple of fine young athletes.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ALBOB View Post
    There's tons of high quality equipment out there that can be had for pennis on the dollar.

Ton of Junk

There's more junk that quality equipment out there.

The key is knowing the difference.

Kenny Croxdale