Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Syringe filters

Thread: Syringe filters

Rep Points

Syringe filters

I was doing some reading on basskillers website and it suggested to used 50mm diameter and
    .1um filters but there tryin to charge 100$ for 10 of them . I thought that was outrageous considering I can get .2um filters for 15$. Is there a big difference and which filter would you recommend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BOARD REP

Rep Points

the best setup is a pump setup with polycap. peristaltic pump. very fast, and the polycaps can handle large volume at great speed. they are much superior to bottletop filters
    FOR AUTO-LIST AND ALL QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL CRIMSONPHARMA@GMAIL.COM

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I always s 0.45um filter and have never had any issues. Although, it wouldn't hurt to use a 0.2um filter if you like. Below is a study on filter pore size. I attached the link also.

http://www.millipore.com/publication...TB1025EN00.pdf

Membrane filters with a 0.45 ?m pore size have long been recognized as the standard for growth of microorganisms. However, there is little published literature comparing the effects of different pore sizes on colony size and recovery. The 0.45 ?m pore size is used to recover bacteria and other microorganisms from many samples and environments almost to the exclusion of other pore sizes. Only rarely are other sizes used for growth and recovery and there is little information available on the effects of different pore sizes on microorganisms. However, other pore sizes are commercially available for microbial enumeration and users will occasionally substitute a filter with a pore size larger or smaller than 0.45 ?m in an attempt to improve their results. This study takes a broad look at the influence of different pore sizes on some common microorganisms. It provides data on the effect of pore size on growth and recovery. The study compares a variety of microorganism/media combinations on a range of pore sizes: 0.22, 0.45, 0.7, 0.8, and 1.2 ?m. The filtration method used in the study was a standard glass funnel and base with vacuum. Test filters were plated on solid (agar) media and compared against spread plates. There was no universal pattern of results. Some microorganisms, such as Micrococcus luteus and Candida albicans showed no significant difference in recovery or colony size with membrane pore size. Other organisms such as Pantoea agglomerans showed no difference in colony size but had low recoveries on 1.2 and 0.22 ?m membranes. being ? 90% versus the controls (spread plates).* The 0.45 ?m membranes met this definition with all test systems. Some test systems showed equivalent recoveries with other pore sizes but in no case were the results significantly better. The lowest recoveries were seen with extremes of the pore size range (1.2 and 0.22 ?m).

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Awesome thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rep Points

Use .22um filters. It is a laboratory standard for sterility. Some things like prions etc can pass through a .45um filter.

They want $10/pop for those 50mm syringe filters because of the diameter of the filter. 50mm is huge compared to to the .2um filters you get.
    Filter element area grows significantly with larger diameters - A=pi()/4*D^2. You will filter a lot more and a lot quicker through a larger diameter element size.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by UA_Iron View Post
    Use .22um filters. It is a laboratory standard for sterility. Some things like prions etc can pass through a .45um filter.

They want $10/pop for those 50mm syringe filters because of the diameter of the filter. 50mm is huge compared to to the .2um filters you get.
    Filter element area grows significantly with larger diameters - A=pi()/4*D^2. You will filter a lot more and a lot quicker through a larger diameter element size.
    good info bro thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by UA_Iron View Post

^^^like^^^^

Do you heat your gear to 200F?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rep Points

You'll want to read the specs on the filter and see what max temperature it can handle and go from there.

Rep Points

.45 should be fine man ive read all over and that study too seems like im ok too