25% Off Black Friday Sale

Filtering clarification

Rep Points

Filtering clarification

Hey guys first time brewer about to try my luck but have a few questions id like answered before I start, dont feel like wasting my $$ and botching it up. Also huge thanks to brundel and aaron for providing all the info in the other threads I have read as much as I can there's just a few minor points I want to iron out.

I was going to do 4 200g batches

So stove on adding product/bb/ba/gso (not sterilized) mixing till powders dissolved in the beaker

While still warm id run the 200mls of mixture through a 500ml .22 stericup filter.(im a bit hesitant running 400mls through a 500ml stericup as everything ive read says they clog around 300ml)

Q is can I get away with only filtering once through the .22 filter after its all mixed to produce the final sterilized product? Hence the unsterelized gso.

The other thing is sterelizing my vials/flip up stoppers

Ive got 99% isopropyl alcohol I was going to soak the vials and lids in and let dry will this suffice? ( to me it makes no sense to take the extra step and bake the vials but not the rubber stoppers seeing as if there was any chance of contamination it would be from the stoppers.)

Thanks in advance.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by imadoctor View Post
    Hey guys first time brewer about to try my luck but have a few questions id like answered before I start, dont feel like wasting my $$ and botching it up. Also huge thanks to brundel and aaron for providing all the info in the other threads I have read as much as I can there's just a few minor points I want to iron out.

I was going to do 4 200g batches

So stove on adding product/bb/ba/gso (not sterilized) mixing till powders dissolved in the beaker

While still warm id run the 200mls of mixture through a 500ml .22 stericup filter.(im a bit hesitant running 400mls through a 500ml stericup as everything ive read says they clog around 300ml)

Q is can I get away with only filtering once through the .22 filter after its all mixed to produce the final sterilized product? Hence the unsterelized gso.

The other thing is sterelizing my vials/flip up stoppers

Ive got 99% isopropyl alcohol I was going to soak the vials and lids in and let dry will this suffice? ( to me it makes no sense to take the extra step and bake the vials but not the rubber stoppers seeing as if there was any chance of contamination it would be from the stoppers.)

Thanks in advance.

add the oil after powder, ba and ba has been mixed.

I usually get 200-250mL with stericup, could probably get 300mL but dont have the patience :P

mix isopropanyl with disitilled water 70/30% much more effective than pure alcohol.

Rep Points

Is the 99% ipa ok to mix or do I need the 70%?

And do you use the 500ml stericup as well?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Rep Points

Yes I use durapore almost exclusively.

Havent used the 70% isopropanyl, the only one I can get here is 99,5% and I use distilled water to dilute it to 60-70%.

I?am a Swede so it?s hard for me to explain things in english But this iso/water ratio is needed to prevent the alcohol to evaporate before it has killed the bacterias by denaturing proteins in their cell walls.

Rep Points

No you've done good I can understand just fine

Only other thing is how do u dry the vials on their side, standing up or upside down?

Rep Points

ddo you mean dry sterilization? I just poor my vials in some aluminium foil and sterilize them

Rep Points

Yeah will the isopropyl alcohol sterelize them or do I need to oven bake them as well

Rep Points

If you want you can rinse them out if needed but yes you will most definitly need to dry sterilize them. Just remember to let the vials dry out before putting them in the oven.

I sterilize in 175-180 Celsius for minimum 1,5 Hours to be sure

EDIT: the iso/water mix wont sterilize them at all. it will kill lots of bacteria and maybe fungi but not sterilize them.

Rep Points

Ok sweet thanks heaps

Rep Points

I copied these temperatures from another board.

Temperature Duration

338?F (170?C) 60 minutes

320?F (160?C) 120 minutes

302?F (150?C) 150 minutes

284?F (140?C) 180 minutes

250?F (121?C) 12 hours (Overnight)

Rep Points

Glad I could help

Good luck with your brew and post pics when youre finished :P

Rep Points

Yeah I was seeing if I could get away from not having to use an oven. Just trying to simplify it all down

Rep Points

It's probably easier to use an oven than use alcohol to sterilize them. Plus if there's even a tad bit of undried alcohol it will turn your solution cloudy.

What are you cooking up? Make sure the heat is not too high when you're mixing it - use the lowest setting you can get away with.

Rep Points

So I made 40 vials of test e @ 250mcg and 30 vials of boldenone @ 250
    I washed all my vials and stoppers in isopropyl alcohol and then put them in the pressure cooker for 40 minutes none of the gear has turned cloudy or crashed.
    All the gear was filtered through .22um millpore stericup filters. I did not bother baking the products in the oven as I read once it is filtered through the .22um filter its sterile and heating it only damages the hormone.

Rep Points

You did everything right - I just want to add clarification to some things.

Heating
    Heating methods are often used to ensure that glass and other lab equipment are free of pyrogenic material. Heat is applied by baking in a dry heat oven that is designed specifically for the depyrogenation process. Although endotoxins are relatively thermally stable, sufficient heating (250deg C for 30 min) results in a 3log reduction of endotoxin levels. Due to the high temperature levels, this method is also not suitable when purifying proteins.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depyrogenation
    Here's the source - USP Pharmaceutical Compounding - Sterile Preparations (page 19)
    http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Docu...0/USP797GC.pdf

STERILIZATION OF HIGH-RISK LEVEL CSPs BY STEAM
    The process of thermal sterilization saturated steam under pressure, or autoclaving, is the preferred method to terminally sterilize aqueous preparations that have been verified to maintain their full chemical and physical stability under the conditions employed (see Steam Sterilization and Sterility Assurance of Compendial Articles <1211>). To achieve sterility, all materials are to be exposed to steam at 121C under a pressure of about 1 atmosphere or 15 psi for the duration verified by testing to achieve sterility of the items, which is usually 20 to 60 for CSPs.

Not directly exposing items to pressurized steam may result in survival of microbial organisms and spores. Before their sterilization, plastic, glass, and metal devices are tightly wrapped in low-particle shedding paper or fabrics or sealed in envelopes that prevent poststerilization microbial penetration.Immediately before filling ampuls and vials that will be steam sterilized, solutions are passed through a filter having a nominal pore size not larger than 1.2um for removal of particulate matter. Sealed containers shall be able to generate steam internally; thus, stoppered and crimped empty vials shall contain a small amount of moisture to generate steam.
    You should never autoclave oils. Ever. It appears that you would be safe to autoclave water based gear.

STERILIZATION OF HIGH-RISK LEVEL CSPs BY FILTRATION
    Commercially available sterile filters shall be approved for human-use applications in sterilizing pharmaceutical fluids. Sterile filters used to sterlize CSPs shall be pyrogen free and have a nominal pore size of 0.2 or 0.22 They shall be certified by the manufacturer to retain at least 10^7 microorganisms of a strain of Brevundimonas (Pseudomo-nas) diminuta on each square centimeter of upstream filter surface area under conditions similar to those in which the CSPs will be sterilized (see High-Risk Conditions in High-Risk Level CSPs).

Rep Points

Yeah Im glad I did the amount of research I did.

The only heat I used on the product was a small amount when it was in the beaker to dissolve the powder and then mix the bb/ba/gso together.