• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Taking a Different Approach

JohnMcc

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hey guys new here and havent had a chance to filter thru the mass amount of post here haha so this may have been covered in the past but Id still like to bring it to the light. How many of u guys use strength training rather than hypertrophy training to gain larger amounts of mass? I myself am using the 5/3/1 Program right now but adapted it to incorporate Strongman lifts like yokes, stones, kegs, sled pulls(to simulate pulling a truck or car), tire flips, sledge hammer work, ect. I hope to hear u guys experience on the topic.

BUMP

interested on le diff responses from frequent posters on this

I've never personally done 5/3/1 or any strongman lifts. Strongman really interests me but there's no place locally to train.

That said, my normal routine is strength oriented. Heavy doubles and triples, 3x5 and 4x6. Stalled out a bit on mass and decided to try German volume training for a change. So far it's kicking my ass.

Warrior

I've never personally done 5/3/1 or any strongman lifts. Strongman really interests me but there's no place locally to train.

That said, my normal routine is strength oriented. Heavy doubles and triples, 3x5 and 4x6. Stalled out a bit on mass and decided to try German volume training for a change. So far it's kicking my ass.

Warrior

Man GVT is nuts! I did it for about 4 weeks and then had to drop back into a normal "volume" routine again, my body was just fried and hurt especially since I had no chemical assistance to help with recovery lol.

Man GVT is nuts! I did it for about 4 weeks and then had to drop back into a normal "volume" routine again, my body was just fried and hurt especially since I had no chemical assistance to help with recovery lol.

I'm running 750mg of Test and 500mg of Tren and the recovery is still rough.

Warrior

Well shit now I dont feel as bad for not being able to stick to the GVT longer haha

I've never heard of anyone doing it long term. 4-6 weeks seems to be the norm. That much volume creates a lot of micro tears in the muscle fiber and it's taxing on the body.

Warrior

I've never heard of anyone doing it long term. 4-6 weeks seems to be the norm. That much volume creates a lot of micro tears in the muscle fiber and it's taxing on the body.

Warrior
On top the muscular damage it does, my CNS was fried by the end basically I just wanted to go to sleep all day so my body could recover. With this new program of training I doing my body is sore after words but I feel like my CNS doing well I actually feel sharper sort of speak.

I'm 40 years old.

Been using steroids and lifting heavy since I was a very young teenager.

Over the last (approximately) 10 years, I have done less and less lifting and more heavy bag, speed bag, medicine ball slams and a variety of functional exercises.

For roughly 6 months now, I have done literally zero weight lifting (actually played around on the bench the other day with super high reps but other than this I have done no lifting at all).

My workouts are now exclusively a variety of boxing and bag exercises along with battling ropes, sledgehammers, medicine ball throws and grappling dummy throws.
Also quite a bit of mitt work.

Additionally, I do some jogging and some 40 yard sprints along with some traditional cardio like the stair climber and the arch machine.

Now granted, I have a great deal of muscle mass from all those years of food, drugs and lifting but I can honestly say that I have never felt better in my life.

I definitely have a leaner and more athletic look than I did previously. My wife seems to be digging this.

Also, all those old aches and pains are gone. Thank God.

IML Gear Cream!
I'm 40 years old.

Been using steroids and lifting heavy since I was a very young teenager.

Over the last (approximately) 10 years, I have done less and less lifting and more heavy bag, speed bag, medicine ball slams and a variety of functional exercises.

For roughly 6 months now, I have done literally zero weight lifting (actually played around on the bench the other day with super high reps but other than this I have done no lifting at all).

My workouts are now exclusively a variety of boxing and bag exercises along with battling ropes, sledgehammers, medicine ball throws and grappling dummy throws.
Also quite a bit of mitt work.

Additionally, I do some jogging and some 40 yard sprints along with some traditional cardio like the stair climber and the arch machine.

Now granted, I have a great deal of muscle mass from all those years of food, drugs and lifting but I can honestly say that I have never felt better in my life.

I definitely have a leaner and more athletic look than I did previously. My wife seems to be digging this.

Also, all those old aches and pains are gone. Thank God.

I would venture to guess that your more or less "conditioning" based training is a big relief for joints! I used to think that I wanted to look like a typical bodybuilding bro, but now I want to build my strength above all, and the size will just follow suit because of how much I love to eat lol.

strength training ALONE = 1) injury sooner or later, 2) limited muscle growth = no progress
bodybuilding should be the main emphasis in training with some functional training and occasional strength oriented training this way you progress slowly but surely.

strength training ALONE = 1) injury sooner or later, 2) limited muscle growth = no progress
bodybuilding should be the main emphasis in training with some functional training and occasional strength oriented training this way you progress slowly but surely.

Dr. G r u saying this applies to u or to everyone?

^^ this in general applies to every one. a muscle is made of many fibers and while lifting you use only part of your fibers at a time and slowly other fibers come into play. so if you train for strength only you dont give time for all your fibers to be worked you will get stronger quickly but you reach a point where you are stuck. however if you train as a bodybuilder you will be training all the fibers of a given muscle and occasional strength training will get you stronger. as you progress you can add more frequent strength training sessions in your routine which will make your muscle start recruiting more fibers in the lower rep range but this should be done progressively and with time. experienced lifters can sometimes hit all the fibers of a given muscle with as low as 3 reps but this is achieved with years of training.

^^ this in general applies to every one. a muscle is made of many fibers and while lifting you use only part of your fibers at a time and slowly other fibers come into play. so if you train for strength only you dont give time for all your fibers to be worked you will get stronger quickly but you reach a point where you are stuck. however if you train as a bodybuilder you will be training all the fibers of a given muscle and occasional strength training will get you stronger. as you progress you can add more frequent strength training sessions in your routine which will make your muscle start recruiting more fibers in the lower rep range but this should be done progressively and with time. experienced lifters can sometimes hit all the fibers of a given muscle with as low as 3 reps but this is achieved with years of training.

I dont know if I can agree, every persons body is different. I dont think u can apply this cookie cutter style of training to everybody.

I dont know if I can agree, every persons body is different. I dont think u can apply this cookie cutter style of training to everybody.

More Alike That Dis-Alike

We are more alike that disalike (different).

That is why a medication that works for one person work for the majority.

Basic Rules of Training

That is why the basic rules of training work for most individuals.

With that said, you can break it down into...

Somotypes

Each somotype responds a bit differently to training.

By The Types
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mayner3.htm

This article breaks it down.

Muscle Fiber Type

There are three type of Muscle Fiber.

Type I/Slow Twitch: They endurance type that respond to light loads.

Type IIa/Fast Twitch: The are strength type that respond to heavier loads.

Type IIb/Super Fast Twitch: They are more of a power type that respond to explosive movements.

Size Principle

Muscle fiber fire in a sequence.

In any movement, the firing sequence is: Slow Twitch > Fast Twitch > Super Fast Twitch.

Slow Twitch

These fiber are involve in any movement at the beginning.

Fast and Super Fast Twitch

These fiber are more involve as you near muscle failure in an exercise and/or in strength and power movements.

Fiber Training

That means you method of training (Reps, Rest Periods, Training Percentage, Volume, etc) determines which fiber you are training.

There is a lot more to it than that.

Take Home Message

The training principles for increasing endurance, strength, size, power and speed apply to everyone.

Pick the right one for you objective.

Training Exercises

While you may use different training exercises, you need to employ the right method to elicit the right response.

With that said, some movement elicit a better training response that others.

Kenny Croxdale

Cluster Fuck

You explanation is a real Cluster Fuck.

As always you have some basic knowledge and then combine what you know with what you don't know.

In other word, you make up crap as you go.

Kenny Croxdale

@Kenny That was a very well thought out and educated review of training principles, much appreciated. It's knowledge like this that I came to find at this forum so thanks again for the write up.

I have used 5/3/1 in the past before with great success. I would take long breaks(2-5 mins)during the bench, dead, squat, and mil presses and then for the assistance stuff try to go 30-60secs breaks and higher reps. Definetly got the best of both worlds.

IML Gear Cream!
i think i know what i was talking about with all due respect and you just repeated what i said but with more details. thank you

i think i know what i was talking about with all due respect and you just repeated what i said but with more details. thank you

Thinking = Guessing

Sometimes you know and sometime you "think" you know.

Hopefully, you understand the difference.

Kenny Croxdale

@predator This what I do as well and it makes me grow so why deviate from this program right?

@Kenny and Dr.G I never meant for this thread to start ppl arguing back and forth I simply wanted to hear what types of programs other ppl follow to see success, not see which training program or style was "most effective".

I have used 5/3/1 in the past before with great success. I would take long breaks(2-5 mins)during the bench, dead, squat, and mil presses and then for the assistance stuff try to go 30-60secs breaks and higher reps. Definetly got the best of both worlds.

Your right, this is an effective method.

Kenny Croxdale

Back