Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Pylon's Journal v6 - Downhill Slope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Pylon's Journal v6 - Downhill Slope

Funny, I looked back at v5 and realized not much changed since then. So here's the recap...again...

"Maxed out a few years ago at 350. (The one pic in my gallery is from then.)

Got down to 240.

Got back up to 280 or so.

Have been back and forth."

Now that we have history behind us...

It's always tough to come back after a while and admit a) you're not where you once were, b) you need to recommit and c) you're better off not doing it alone.

Haven't put my whole plan together yet. Likely to go back to HIT + cardio work. Always worked well for me, and I enjoy it, which is a huge plus. I travel a lot for work, so this will be a good way to keep myself in line. That's the idea anyway.

More to come...

It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It must be working. Getting back in here inspired me to get back in they gym as well...

WU - elliptical, 10min

DB lat raises - 10x10, 112.5x10, 15x10 - Some stiffness in my right shoulder on these. No surprise, as I've beaten them up pretty good over the years. Will see how it feels tomorrow.

BO DB rows - 20x10, 25x10, 32.5x10

Standing BB curls - 30x10, 50x10, 55x6

Tri pressdowns - 60x10, 60x10, 60x10
    SS bench dips - bwx5, bwx5, bwx2

took a couple of laps on the track to cool down after.

Nothing to write home about, other than my first lifting session in months. It was really tempting to try to load up on the weight, but took it slow, focused on form and cadence. Felt pretty good, though I'm sure tomorrow will be different story.

Food so far:

egg white omelet w/ spinach and chicken breast
    sm bowl chili (bison, beef, tomatoes, spices)
    It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet. - J.R. Payette

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I forgot what an impact gym time can have on grocery shopping.

Hit the market after a shower. Loaded up on the right stuff (kale, sprouts, tuna, spinach, eggs, etc.) Got back, put down a couple of chicken breasts from the batch I grilled last night, then back to work.

YM
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Welcome back Pylon
    Do it!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thanks YM! good to be back!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

dinner last night was grilled tuna, kale and roasted cauliflower. Also a really nice mango relish for the fish. And plenty left for lunch.

Breakfast was an omelet with chicken and kale. It didn't work all that well, and it was bigger than expect (emptied out the egg carton). But about 3/4 of the way through, I had a revelation. I don't have to eat the rest of it.

I know that probably sounds odd, but I've been conditioned most of my life to eat what is put in front of you. So I try to make sure portion-wise I'm setting up the right way, and sometimes that works. Getting my head to kick in and push away even clean food is a good sign that I'm where I need to be mentally.

I also found a recipe for paleo jerky in the oven. Beef, salt, spices. I'm not doing full paleo, but using some of it to guide food choices. Anyway, I have several pounds of ground venison, and I'm really the only on in the house who likes it, so I'm making a batch of jerky today. Could be a great way to use it up.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cardio day. I forgot how boring it can be.

1 mile on indoor track. No time on this, just wanted to get back in the habit. Felt pretty good, could have gone further but ramping up slowly.

30 min elliptical.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Lunch - the remaining roasted cauliflower from dinner (which I have to say was pretty awesome), chili (it's clean, don't worry)

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Dinner- mixed veg, grilled tuna. And the start of a nasty headache.

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

what the heck is a KALE? is that like seaweed? Headache? Drinking enough water? Ok.....I can' do a 'carriage return'....(hit the return, next line down) how annoying. Anybody else having this issue? Hiya Py!
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Heya Burnsie!

The headache is all shoulder based. It's weird. My left shoulder has taken a pounding over the years from having a laptop hanging off it. (I'm sure you can relate.) A couple of years ago I started to get crippling headaches, like couldn't stand up headaches. I was working at a hospital at the time, so they ran me through all kinds of test and found nothing. Turns out, the culprit was my pillow. I had a new one, and something about the thickness was wrong for me, and it kept getting worse. I switched to a thinner pillow, and all was well.

A few months back I tried a standing desk, which also helped, so I think the issue is I tend to lean on my left elbow when I'm sitting. I also learned that if I stand all day, I tend to lean on my left hip, which didn't help either. So I think the answer is probably somewhere in between. I'm about to move my office from the basement to upstairs, and I think I'll spend some time on design so I can go back and forth.

And yes, kale is like seaweed, I guess. But tasty when cooked right!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Breakfast - egg white omelet with bacon and mushrooms, heavy on the pepper. Nice.

Soreness is in control, noted but not impairing anything. That's just where I wanted it.

Super Hero in Training

Rep Points

dang...get that worked out....I'm actually, very office based now. Most of my bases have or are closing down so I do not travel as much. Of course, the place I am in now...people keep breaking my shit! So I have to go out, a lot. Today...right after I had my cup of pre-workout coffee...that was at 1500....it's now 2130 and just got back to the office 45 min ago. All caught up on emails, last check of this and headed to bed. Start fresh tomorrow...
    Success leaves clues. People who produce outstanding results do specific things to create those results

Nobody cares what you did yesterday or what you are going to do tomorrow. What is important is what you are doing NOW to solve our problem

THERE IS NO TOMORROW!
    - Appollo Creed

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Oh leg day, how I've missed you....

WU - 10 min elliptical

Leg ext - 60x10, 90x10, 105x10
    SS Squats 45x10, 95x10, 135x10

Calf press - 180x10, 270x10, 360x10

Run 1 mile

Woof. Took it slow on the weights for lifting to still ease into it, but it sure felt good to squat again.

The run after lifting was rough. Again, no timing, just wanted to get a full mile in and keep my form upright and smooth.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Welcome back from the weekend!

Took Sunday as a cheat day, since we were hosting a birthday party. Still stayed mostly away from sweets. They just don't appeal to me all that much, honestly. But lots of carbs to be sure.

The really good part is that all the leftovers are of the fresh fruit and raw veg type, so they will be more than welcome come mealtime.

Back in the gym today for upper body work. Soreness in my legs wasn't bad at all, so I think I pushed just hard enough last week. After this week we will start to really ratchet up. Of course, I'm on the road next week, which might make it tough, but worse case I'll keep the cardio load high and take a week away from lifting. Not horrible, but not optimal.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Breakfast - egg white omelet w/ bacon, mushrooms and lots of pepper.

Lunch - steak and blue cheese salad.

Workout:

WU - elliptical, 10 min

DB flat flyes - 15x10, 15x10, 15x10 - could have handled more weight, but my right shoulder was cranky for some reason, so stayed light
    SS smith incline bench - 50x10, 50x10, 50x10

DB pullover - 30x10, 40x10, 50x6 - cut short with shoulder issue
    SS CG pulldowns - 75x10, 90x10, 105x10

DLs - 115x10, 135x10, 165x10

cooldown - elliptical, 10 min

Felt great other than shoulder issues. DLs really winded me, loved them. All around pretty good workout!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Wow, feeling that workout this morning. Nice soreness in all the right places.

Here's something really interesting. Last summer I tweaked something in my back and irritated my sciatic nerve. I've been dealing with pain in my left leg ever since. Not crippling, just nagging, though it was pretty bad at the start. After those DLs yesterday, though, the pain has vanished. Gone. Not a trace. Weird, right?

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Cardio day - 2 miles on the track. Not timed, but in the 20-25 min range.

YM
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pylon View Post
    Wow, feeling that workout this morning. Nice soreness in all the right places.

Here's something really interesting. Last summer I tweaked something in my back and irritated my sciatic nerve. I've been dealing with pain in my left leg ever since. Not crippling, just nagging, though it was pretty bad at the start. After those DLs yesterday, though, the pain has vanished. Gone. Not a trace. Weird, right?
    No pain = GOOD
    Do it!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Rest day yesterday. Feel like shit this morning, no idea why. Headache (shoulder related) mostly, but just dragging. I'm guessing it's from the change in my diet and the dropping of carbs. It'll pass, I'm sure.

Pretty good soreness from lifting Monday in my chest and arms. Not debilitating by any means, but enough that I'm taking it a little easy. Today is leg day, looking forward to that.

Next week I'm on the road. I doubt the hotel gym will have what I need for lifting days, but there may be an alternative close by I can use. If not, my plan for next week (and any time I'm on the road) is to make sure I eat as clean as I can and get in cardio sessions each day. If I miss a week of lifting, I'll just pick it up when I get back and not stress over it.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Leg day....

WU - 10 min elliptical

Leg Ext - 90x10,90x10, 120 x 10 (up 15 lb)
    SS Leg Press - 150x10, 150x10, 255x10

Calf Press - 180x20, 180x20, 300x20

I've now made it through the whole HIT cycle, and can start working on ratcheting up the weights. Leg extensions are the only lift that shows up twice in the cycle, so I've made the note on having the load go up. My plan is to stick with this setup of 2 warm up sets and one heavy set.

Run - 1 mile

Cardio the day after legs always sucks, and cardio right after legs is no better. My hope is that doing some light plodding will increase blood flow and reduce soreness. No idea if it will actually work, but seemed to with leg day last week.

I've also noticed that the limiting factor on running for me, now anyway, is not getting winded but is muscle endurance. I want to try to get in runs often to build up stamina, preferably not on a treadmill. I tend to land a lot harder on them for some reason, and would prefer to keep the knee stress down if I can.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Started in on thermogenics this week as well, forgot to mention that. Also put in an order for creatine that I'll start on this weekend.

YM
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Why creatine ? That made me put on weight. Just curious....
    Do it!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The thinking is I can use it to build up muscle mass and improve workout intensity overall. Kind of a jump start into the long program.

Yes, there is some water retention, but it's not about weight, right? It's about fat. I don't care if I put on another 50 lbs if my BF drops significantly in the process, you know?

But we'll see. If I go on it for a while and don't feel like it's making a difference, I can always drop it.

Rep Points

Damn, where have you vets been hiding? Good log Pylon
    Check my log and review of Hex 450 at AAS Journals and logs in sub-forum of Anabolic Zone
    www.steroidsfax.com VIP

YM
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Pylon View Post
    The thinking is I can use it to build up muscle mass and improve workout intensity overall. Kind of a jump start into the long program.

Yes, there is some water retention, but it's not about weight, right? It's about fat. I don't care if I put on another 50 lbs if my BF drops significantly in the process, you know?

But we'll see. If I go on it for a while and don't feel like it's making a difference, I can always drop it.
    You have to do what works for YOU Everyone is different. I know I added 15 lbs of "weight" when I first found out about creatine back in 1997.....(makes me feel old) LOL

Where ya been this week? Get those workouts in!!!!!
    Do it!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hey, not gone, just on the road.

I spent this week in another town (won't say where, but great BBQ and tacos). Knew that I'd have a rough week for training, but not like this.

Essentially spent each night with teammates, both at meals and after. Tried to keep intake reasonable, but it did get a little out of whack. Work sucks kind of stuff.

Anyway, back on home turf, eating clean this morning, already looking forward to my lifting session.

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

OK, turns out tomorrow is a lifting day, not today. I'll get in a cardio session later then.

Also realized that, after having been gone for a week, I was perilously low on anything I could eat in the house. Oh, there's PLENTY of leftover pizza though.

Sigh.

Managed to find some leftovers that would work (but probably should have been tossed). Food run this afternoon.

YM
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Time to get back on the wagon
    Do it!

Squishy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmoomba View Post
    Time to get back on the wagon
    consider it gotten on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast