Sugar: a poison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: Sugar: a poison

  1. #1
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Sugar: a poison

    I just finished watching this video. It's created by CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company). Being on this site, you probably already know most of it, but there are some facts that may be new to you. The part about Ludkin and its fallout pissed me off. It didn't surprise me, but it pissed me off nonetheless.



  2. #2
    DRSE
    SUPER MODERATOR
    dieseljimmy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    chicagoland
    Posts
    6,920
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Wow


  3. #3
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    SheriV's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,708
    Rep Points
    1381010888

    wow, the test with the rats in the vat of water was wild and scary

    IronMagLabs Discount Code for 15% off ~~ Sheriv15

    ~~~~Use "Sheriv15" a coupon code for 15% off at IronMag research~~~~


    Amalist@securenym.net

  4. #4
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by SheriV View Post
    wow, the test with the rats in the vat of water was wild and scary
    So true. I couldn't help but think "That's your average American" as I watched it.

    I decided to watch this video because I've been carb cycling -- and cut back a lot in general -- and I've noticed that I'm feeling even sharper than usual. I also, counterintuitively, feel more energetic. At least, after the first week or two. Not to mention that the fat just evaporated. Just like in that video. I'm not going to cut out sugar completely -- I have a killer peanut satay recipe that requires it -- but it's dropped to low single digits in my diet. Upwards or 85% of all that I eat is from basic foods now.


  5. #5
    Team RamRod
    MODERATOR
    OfficerFarva's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Dunkin' Donuts
    Posts
    4,594
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Further proof that Canadians are the superior species.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Points
    249481082

    I'll have to peep this tomorrow. I think where a lot of people miss the boat is that we need glucose, but we are designed to make it, not consume it in mass quantities.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  7. #7
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFarva View Post
    Further proof that Canadians are the superior species.
    They're the 51st state, so it's a given they're at the top with other Americans.


  8. #8
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry View Post
    I'll have to peep this tomorrow. I think where a lot of people miss the boat is that we need glucose, but we are designed to make it, not consume it in mass quantities.
    You'll like the video then. It's talks about glucose quite a bit, and the overconsumption of it by Americans.


  9. #9
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,973
    Rep Points
    1115136028

    I want ice cream

    I haven't had more than 10 grams of sugar a day for weeks.
    Fucking Determined!

  10. #10
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    This video is by CBS and ties into the first. It expounds on several points. One of the things it covers is the addictive nature of sugar using a real-time MRI.



  11. #11
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    I want ice cream

    I haven't had more than 10 grams of sugar a day for weeks.
    It's funny that you mention ice cream.

    I'm branching here. This video is on food addiction. It's not that they're trying to make better tasting food, they're using science to manipulate the mind of the buyer. They're leveraging how the body works to overcome your logical thinking. And stuff like replacing cheese with proteins and fats.



    On a side note, the close-ups of people eating with their mouth open is revolting.


  12. #12
    Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER
    Big Smoothy's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South America
    Posts
    5,608
    Rep Points
    235125658

    Great thread good pieces.

    I'm passing these on....
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

    -- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

  13. #13
    Team RamRod
    MODERATOR
    OfficerFarva's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Dunkin' Donuts
    Posts
    4,594
    Rep Points
    2147483647


  14. #14
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFarva View Post
    I missed that, which sucks. I'd like to have found out about this earlier. But better late than never.


  15. #15
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Points
    249481082

    Just watched it, interesting. I think Lustig is off and hate the fact that everyone tries to pin the obesity epidemic down to a single cause. Even if you remove sugar from the food supply, sitting all day still has a negative impact on the body by increasing inflammation, oxidative stress, and blood glucose levels. All 3 of these factors increase your risk for the metabolic syndrome. There are also other dietary factors that correlate with the obesity epidemic which likely have an effect and that make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, particularly fiber consumption which they ignore. Finally, you know we're in trouble when a "knowledgeable" authority on nutrition has people eating pasta as part of a diet devoid of processed food, I guess I have just never been fortunate enough to see a spaghetti bush.

    I recommend a Paleo diet, but not the Paleo diet that most implement as it's just a meat/protein orgy. High fiber, moderate carb(200g or so), a larger diversity of plant matter and properly raised animals. I eat about 30 different vegetables per week and maybe 3 types of fruit. That's all you need to do to be healthy. It doesn't even take that much time to prepare. I spend an hour making breakfast which also makes enough for lunch and my wife makes dinner. If I wanted to streamline the process I would chop everything on Sunday and freeze it, but I prefer it fresh.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  16. #16
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry View Post
    Just watched it, interesting. I think Lustig is off and hate the fact that everyone tries to pin the obesity epidemic down to a single cause. Even if you remove sugar from the food supply, sitting all day still has a negative impact on the body by increasing inflammation, oxidative stress, and blood glucose levels. All 3 of these factors increase your risk for the metabolic syndrome. There are also other dietary factors that correlate with the obesity epidemic which likely have an effect and that make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, particularly fiber consumption which they ignore. Finally, you know we're in trouble when a "knowledgeable" authority on nutrition has people eating pasta as part of a diet devoid of processed food, I guess I have just never been fortunate enough to see a spaghetti bush.

    I recommend a Paleo diet, but not the Paleo diet that most implement as it's just a meat/protein orgy. High fiber, moderate carb(200g or so), a larger diversity of plant matter and properly raised animals. I eat about 30 different vegetables per week and maybe 3 types of fruit. That's all you need to do to be healthy. It doesn't even take that much time to prepare. I spend an hour making breakfast which also makes enough for lunch and my wife makes dinner. If I wanted to streamline the process I would chop everything on Sunday and freeze it, but I prefer it fresh.
    No one has said that sugar is the only reason, just that it's a major, ubiquitous, reason. The issue is also the steps that companies have taken to subvert the systems put in place to protect consumers.

    I've never looked into the Paleo diet (or much of any diet, actually), but I can guess what it is. I'm pretty sure that's how I eat. I eat meat / protein all day long. I don't worry about the fat content at all. I just keep a caloric ceiling each day. I do also eat veggies and occasionally fruit (mango being a favorite). I have great results with it.


  17. #17
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Points
    249481082

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    No one has said that sugar is the only reason, just that it's a major, ubiquitous, reason. The issue is also the steps that companies have taken to subvert the systems put in place to protect consumers.

    I've never looked into the Paleo diet (or much of any diet, actually), but I can guess what it is. I'm pretty sure that's how I eat. I eat meat / protein all day long. I don't worry about the fat content at all. I just keep a caloric ceiling each day. I do also eat veggies and occasionally fruit (mango being a favorite). I have great results with it.

    Sounds like you are basically Paleo, Paleo is grain, legume, and dairy free. Most people use it as an excuse to eat as much meat as possible and ignore veggies, which is a mistake. Just avoid processed food and eat a moderate amount of meat, that's likely the healthiest way to do it and most beneficial to your gut and overall health.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  18. #18
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry View Post
    Sounds like you are basically Paleo, Paleo is grain, legume, and dairy free. Most people use it as an excuse to eat as much meat as possible and ignore veggies, which is a mistake. Just avoid processed food and eat a moderate amount of meat, that's likely the healthiest way to do it and most beneficial to your gut and overall health.
    I don't do legumes, though. And yeah, almost zero dairy. I eat the occasional tablespoon of butter. I still don't eat enough veggies, but I'm working on it. I rarely eat processed foods. Just thinking about eating a HotPocket makes me nauseated.


  19. #19
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Points
    249481082

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    I don't do legumes, though. And yeah, almost zero dairy. I eat the occasional tablespoon of butter. I still don't eat enough veggies, but I'm working on it. I rarely eat processed foods. Just thinking about eating a HotPocket makes me nauseated.
    Most allow butter, Ghee is better because the milk proteins are cleared out. I rotate between coconut oil, olive oil, bacon fat, and ghee.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  20. #20
    DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR
    theCaptn''s Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    the 7 seas
    Posts
    20,746
    Rep Points
    2147483647

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    I don't do legumes, though. And yeah, almost zero dairy. I eat the occasional tablespoon of butter. I still don't eat enough veggies, but I'm working on it. I rarely eat processed foods. Just thinking about eating a HotPocket makes me nauseated.
    Check this out Doms - it's includes some paleo principles:
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/downl...tproofdiet.pdf
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.


  21. #21
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    SheriV's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,708
    Rep Points
    1381010888

    found this today that made me think of this thread

    http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...iment.cnn.html

    IronMagLabs Discount Code for 15% off ~~ Sheriv15

    ~~~~Use "Sheriv15" a coupon code for 15% off at IronMag research~~~~


    Amalist@securenym.net

  22. #22
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,973
    Rep Points
    1115136028

    People are fat because they are dumb and lazy. Anybody with half a brain can figure out in less than 4 hours of research online why they are fat, and how to start down the road of not being fat. I am not talking about slightly overweight either. I am talking about morbidly disgustingly fat obese people who simply do not give a fuck because their a lazy pieces of shit.
    Fucking Determined!

  23. #23
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    SheriV's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,708
    Rep Points
    1381010888

    don't hold back kelju!

    yeah but what drives it...how do they get there. why doesn't everyone get there? I don't know that its totally that cut and dry ..it is but it isn't
    I can say with total sincerity that I love sugar....go crazy for just the right mix of tasty pastry awesomeness....
    right at the moment I'm getting enough calories of nutrient dense food where it's not much more than a fleeting thought..and dropping weight steadily but aside from the thyroid shit which has been "corrected" for years I couldn't tell you what got me to fat in the first place..not really...yeah sugar and sedentary habits for sure but i don't know hot THAT happened

    IronMagLabs Discount Code for 15% off ~~ Sheriv15

    ~~~~Use "Sheriv15" a coupon code for 15% off at IronMag research~~~~


    Amalist@securenym.net

  24. #24
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Points
    249481082

    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  25. #25
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry View Post
    Most allow butter, Ghee is better because the milk proteins are cleared out. I rotate between coconut oil, olive oil, bacon fat, and ghee.
    I found a grass-fed organic ghee and a coconut ghee. Do those look okay? Is one type better than the other?

    Thanks for the info, man!


  26. #26
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by theCaptn' View Post
    Check this out Doms - it's includes some paleo principles:
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/downl...tproofdiet.pdf

    Thanks. That's a simple doc that's already helped me to make better food options. I've also starting going to Mark's Daily Apple. Thanks for that link, too.

    I buy my mean from a local farmer's market. It's not a gathering-type market. It's a market that buys from local farmers. It's a benefit of living in a rural state.

    I've taken to eating most of my food raw. I'm even going to try my had at kitfo.


  27. #27
    Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER
    KelJu's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    In my imagination.
    Posts
    14,973
    Rep Points
    1115136028

    Quote Originally Posted by SheriV View Post
    don't hold back kelju!

    yeah but what drives it...how do they get there. why doesn't everyone get there? I don't know that its totally that cut and dry ..it is but it isn't
    I can say with total sincerity that I love sugar....go crazy for just the right mix of tasty pastry awesomeness....
    right at the moment I'm getting enough calories of nutrient dense food where it's not much more than a fleeting thought..and dropping weight steadily but aside from the thyroid shit which has been "corrected" for years I couldn't tell you what got me to fat in the first place..not really...yeah sugar and sedentary habits for sure but i don't know hot THAT happened

    Don't take my post too seriously. I'm just jealous that fat people get to eat whatever the fuck they want, and I haven't allowed myself any pleasures of taste in a long time.

    Some mornings I wake up and think to myself "I WONDER WHAT I'M HAVING FOR BREAKFAST TODAY!...PROBABLY FUCKING EGGS LIKE THE LAST 60 TIMES I HAD BREAKFAST!!! I FUCKING HATE EVERYTHING!!!
    Fucking Determined!

  28. #28
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    SheriV's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,708
    Rep Points
    1381010888

    dude...I've had the same 5 meals every day for the last 5 weeks....I feel ya

    IronMagLabs Discount Code for 15% off ~~ Sheriv15

    ~~~~Use "Sheriv15" a coupon code for 15% off at IronMag research~~~~


    Amalist@securenym.net

  29. #29
    Moderator
    MODERATOR
    Dale Mabry's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    15,581
    Rep Points
    249481082

    Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    I found a grass-fed organic ghee and a coconut ghee. Do those look okay? Is one type better than the other?

    Thanks for the info, man!
    No prob, those both look OK to me. I've used that ghee before but have never had coconut oil ghee. I love coconut oil, I cook most of my food in it and top my popcorn with it on the rare occasion when I eat popcorn. It's primarily MCTs so you can't store it, you metabolize it in to ketones which help control appetite and promote brain neurogenesis. When I was a kid the movies used coconut oil but they pulled it because it was high in saturated fat so they replaced it with trans fats and eventually canola/corn oil which are all terrible for you.
    If sense were common, everyone would have it.

    4/2007-Current 75th Ranked most popular image 1 spot behind Prince's bulge...

    Check out my world famous Bob Loblaw's Law Blog at http://www.synergyhw.blogspot.com/...Just kidding, it's a health and wellness blog.

  30. #30
    Metrosexual
    ELITE MEMBER
    DOMS's Avatar


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    In a van, down by the river...
    Posts
    32,686
    Rep Points
    1862244849

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Mabry View Post
    No prob, those both look OK to me. I've used that ghee before but have never had coconut oil ghee. I love coconut oil, I cook most of my food in it and top my popcorn with it on the rare occasion when I eat popcorn. It's primarily MCTs so you can't store it, you metabolize it in to ketones which help control appetite and promote brain neurogenesis. When I was a kid the movies used coconut oil but they pulled it because it was high in saturated fat so they replaced it with trans fats and eventually canola/corn oil which are all terrible for you.
    Thanks for the ghee info.

    It's my understanding that, up until the 70s, most people in the US used tropical oils. It wasn't until they "discovered" that fat was bad for you, and the agro-companies pushing their agenda, that grain and seed oils were widely adopted.

    I'm reading The Primal Blueprint and have The Omnivores Dilemma in transit. Have you read either?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM
  2. Natural Sugar Versus Refined Sugar
    By Prince in forum Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 11:57 PM
  4. DIfference between Processed Sugar & Natural Sugar?
    By Dynghetti in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 01:11 AM
  5. sugar or sugar alcohols ...choose the worst
    By mikah in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->