• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Machines

derekisdman

RAWR!
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
We all know free weights are #1 and there is no subsitute for them - but just for the heck of it I was wondering what everyones opinion is on machines like the bowlfex and cross bow. Personally I think they may be ok for specific type of people although a whole lot of good free weight equiptment could be bought for the price of the machines.

Better than nothing I suppose. I dont like machines, just as I dont like low quality benches, it ruins the workout for me.

for a chest workout i think the bowflex is the best machine...dono about other body parts

the bowflex is garbage pure and simple. I suppose that it would be better than nothing but alot of things are. Plus what is their slogan supposed to mean, Real People, Real Results. In actuality it means fat people, little results. Like the people out there working hard and doing right are not real people. I can't stand that BS. How can you possibly achieve a great physique in 6 weeks or something like that?

I don't know what this Bowflex thing is (?)

But I use mostly Nautilus machines, due to back problems, I don't want to risk any accidents with free weights (and I like to train alone). They're working pretty well so far. :D

I have injured myself many times using MACHINES, very rarely do I ever hurt myself using free weights.

Machines restrict the natural movement of your body, and they do not strengthen synergist muscles, nor do they accomodate each individual since we're all built a bit different.

Just an example, every time I use the leg press (does not matter what brand) my kness hurt afterwards. NEVER do my knees hurt doing FULL squats (ass to ankles).

As far as the Bow Flex, or any other contraption of it's kind, it may be okay for the average "fitness enthusiast", but I think it will get very boring after a short while. If a person does not stop using it from pure boredom they will stop because they will tire of changing the machine around for each exercise. If that does not ultimately end it's use, the mere fact that progress will ultimately come to a halt should do it. :)

Before getting one of those things I would recommend that you invest in a simple free weight rack, barbell, weights and an adjustable bench.
http://www.fitnessfactory.com

Agreed prince, I <3 my free weights :thumb:

gr81, while I hate you, I think that you are completely right about the bowflex machine. FREE WEIGHTS RULE!!!

A CyberPump contributor once said that a muscle does not know the difference between a machine and a barbell. However, there are differences, IMO.

Since I train alone, I have typically used machines for safety reasons, but recently I have begun using free weights for training. (I arrange the pins in a power rack for safety purposes.) I have found that the free weights provide a more complete workout than the machines, even though I still use machines for certain movements.

When I'm training clients, it depends on their training age. If they are brand new I'll start them on machines simply to introduce their body to the idea of resistance training and build the proper neurological connections. However, I'll take them to free weights as quickly as I can because like Prince said, it is way better for development.

Personally I mix it up...use a variety depending on what I'm doing.

IML Gear Cream!
"A" muscle may not, but remember everything you do realistically is semi-compound movement. Plus with a (most) machine forcing a linear movement range, that alone is a difference - and can be a destriment to your joints.

I'm not sure I like the idea of non-linear tension (bow flex) but I know powerlifters use some of that to help break plateus (bands, etc).

The bodypart being worked may be a factor also. With larger bodyparts like legs or back, I'm more inclined to use free weight. However, with a small bodypart -like biceps - I don't mind using a machine or cables.

I never liked cables with biceps, for triceps they are "ok" but I dont like them too much for that either.

Back